TUCOM - NV Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard from many people that PBL is more time efficient than traditional lectures.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from many people that PBL is more time efficient than traditional lectures.
Yeah, but I don't like how it's dominating the curriculum like at LECOM. TUNCOM's found a nice balance though.

The Sarasota/Bradenton area may have nice white sandy beaches but everytime I have been there I found the beaches deserted, much in contrast to the Miami beaches where I live. I couldn't see myself staying in that area after school, way too many retirees also. I think PBL works, but I prefer having the lectures notes because that's what i'm used to, the dress code would be a pain too. LECOM also gave me the impression that if I missed 1 lecture or PBL group I would nearly be kicked out of school, a bit strict if you ask me. Both schools do seem to have new innovative ideas so it was a tough decision to make.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Sarasota/Bradenton area may have nice white sandy beaches but everytime I have been there I found the beaches deserted, much in contrast to the Miami beaches where I live. I couldn't see myself staying in that area after school, way too many retirees also. I think PBL works, but I prefer having the lectures notes because that's what i'm used to, the dress code would be a pain too. LECOM also gave me the impression that if I missed 1 lecture or PBL group I would nearly be kicked out of school, a bit strict if you ask me. Both schools do seem to have new innovative ideas so it was a tough decision to make.

Each to his own. I personally think that it is great that there are a variety of learning modules out there so that those know know that they feel more comfortable with one type (i.e. lecture) will less likely to apply to schools of a different type (i.e. PBL).

While I understand the terms "apply broadly," I also think that one needs to apply smartly...while a couple of reach schools is understandable. I am just amazed though how many applicants (probably more so with allopathic applicants) are either applying to way too many reach schools (and their grades/MCAT are not really competitive) or applying to every school they can. This is both foolish and very expensive. I even read one posting where someone got accepted into medical school even though they applied late, but instead of being happy that they were actually accepted, they are looking to give up their acceptance and apply the next cycle for a "better" school. My question is why? Why bother applying to a school that you wouldn't want to attend?

While I definitely have a #1 school (LECOM-B), I would be just as happy if I got in my number #17 school. I'm not going to apply to any school I don't want to go.

Sorry for the rant, but this is an issue that bugs me...there are so many applicants just happy to get one acceptance, and others who don't use common sense when they apply.

BTW, if TUCOM-NV accepts me when I apply in 2010, I would be very happy.

Anyone heard anything new about movement from the wait list? Have most people from the top third gotten calls already?

Also wondering about the waitlist movement? I have a feeling it is moving slower this year.

I have the same feeling. Last week I emailed Roger and he said they took 12 people from the wait list. Don't know how many people they called though.

yeah i contacted roger about a couple weeks ago and he said they took 12 people from the wait list. i talked to him again last week and said that nothing's changed since that movement. gonna try him again tomorrow, hopefully its starting to move again... otherwise at this rate, not even the top 1/3 will be getting in.

Hey ZDawg, let us know what he says- I def agree it feels so slow, but I never applied before this year.

according to Roger... no movement since last week. so if I put everything together from what I've been told over the last few weeks... there's been no movement since that initial 12 that got taken off the wait list. this wait list is moving incredibly slow!

so i talked to roger a little bit more today... he said that the wait list is moving similar to how it did last year. and last year something like 52 people were taken off the wait list. so i guess thats good to hear!

Thanks for the update. I wonder if last year 52 people from the waitlist ended up accepting or that they needed to go through 52 people on the list to fill however many empty spots they had.

I'm in the middle third so I'm trying to gauge my chances :luck:.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also in the middle 1/3 and I can't believe how slow this is going. I'm hoping that a lot of people have accepted spots at Touro-NV just as a back up and waiting for a different school. Who knows, maybe it will be more than last year. I talked to Roger last week and he said that there were 142 people on the waitlist, so if the tiers are split up evenly (which i'm not sure that they are), then there would be about 48 people in each tier. I just wish this would move faster. ah.

Also - what about the early acceptance situation from the letter that said we got waitlisted? Anyone know if that's a guaranteed thing or just a possibility?

Also - what about the early acceptance situation from the letter that said we got waitlisted? Anyone know if that's a guaranteed thing or just a possibility?

I was told that when it gets to the end of summer they will invite 3 students off the waitlist to attend orientation. If any students drop out they take those spots but if they attend orientation and do not get a spot then they are accepted early for the class of 2014. Now everyone else that is left on the waitlist simply has to reapply.

Hi all,

So I don't normally post on SDN but I wanted to give everyone on here a heads up and maybe a little hope. I am declining my acceptance to Touro, so hopefully my spot goes to one of you. Having been in waitlist purgatory myself, I know it is an agonizing process, but don't lose hope and never give up. If this school (or whatever other school) is absolutely your first choice, email or write a letter and tell them! It worked for me. While it's no guarantee that you'll get in, don't underestimate what that letter can do.

Good luck, and keep the faith fellow future doctors! :)

Hey thanks alot jammies. Good luck to you out there.

Hey has anyone recieved an updated # of people taken from the WL. Two weeks ago I heard 17 were accepted and they went through 25 to get the 17. I wonder if the movement remains slow but steady throughout the next month and a half. Anyone think there is more movement at the end?

seems like the wait list is starting to move now a bit faster than it was this past month. I contacted Roger today and after weeks of being in the 30-50 range, I'm finally in the top 25!! So hopefully it will keep moving at this rate!

Zdawg, do you know how many were taken off or gone through on the wait list? Thanks and congrats to everyone else!

I emailed Roger again today. He said they have gone through 42 students to move 18 students from the waitlist. Looks like they are almost done with the top third.

ZDawg and ucgirl, were you guys in the top third of the waitlist?

who are all these mysterious and fortunate people ahead of me?! :p

yeah seriously... i was in the 30-50 range according to roger when the wait list was ranked May 15th... if they have gone through 40 something already then I should be up soon? Roger definitely did not make me feel that way haha.

Zdawg I am in the exact same boat as you. I was told initially i was in the top third but now I am supposedly 20-25 out. I am not sure how that all works with 40 already removed from the list. We should be sittin top 10. Did you say anything to Roger about that?

hey guys, i'm in the same situation too! what the heck! roger told me i was in the top fifty, then top twenty, but now with these new numbers, I should be in the top 10 now, if they went through 40. I think we need to contact roger to see what's up.

well i wanted to confirm how many people were moved. i emailed him today to ask how many people they've gone through on the wait list so far and where i stand now... he hasn't replied. i will def keep you guys updated once i hear something. IF 40 something were taken off... then we all need to discuss this with Roger.

Hi guys,

I'm a current soon to be 2nd year at Touro. Just so you all know....what may have happened (as it did with other schools where I interviewed at and was waitlisted for 2012), typically when the class fills before the remaining interview dates (as Touro NV's 2013 class did), there are TWO waitlists. The standard one and the one where IF there was room in the class, the students would have been accepted outright. I'm guessing that the latter was the first waitlist Roger had to go through before starting on the standard one.

From many of my classmate's experiences last year, there was lots of waitlist movement the last part of June and in July (many of my friends got acceptances the week before class started!). Of course every year is different, but remain hopeful! If you guys have any questions, you can private message me.

Best of luck to you all and I hope to see you next year!

Roselee

yeah thanks! very helpful! just talked to roger today... i moved into the top 15!i hope i get in by the end of june!!! any wait listers in the same position and looking for a roommate?

Thanks for all the info everyone. Its nice to have a better idea of whats going on without having to call Roger myself everyday.

Zdawg I think we are in about the same position so I want to assume I am also top 15. If so I think we have a pretty good chance. Did roger tell you anything else?

According to Roger, they have gone through 49 students to get 21 from the waitlist. I am also in the top 15. Hopefully we get that call soon :luck:

Does any one else call or email Roger daily/weekly to check on the status of the wait list? I wonder how Roger deals with all of us panicky wanna-be med students!

Does any one else call or email Roger daily/weekly to check on the status of the wait list? I wonder how Roger deals with all of us panicky wanna-be med students!

<-- weekly lol

Weekly here too- I would feel too clingy if i did daily. Not that I don't want daily updates though! Shoot, I wouldn't mind hourly so I can start planning already. Btw, I'm top 15 too guys- good luck to everyone!

Ha ha yea I check in weekly as well... but Im serious anyone on the wait list (top 15) in need of a roommate? Just want to plan now because if we get in, we are going to have very little time before school starts to figure this out.

I would be interested in renting a house or condo with three or more people. With the mortgage crisis hitting LV hard, there will be people interested in renting out there houses in order to prevent foreclosure.

Last edited:
Yea that's what I was thinking too... I heard the crisis hit the Vegas/Henderson area pretty hard... There's definitely some good deals out there.

so, who's going to call/email Roger tomorrow? (raises hand)

i am! I talk to Roger more than some of my friends, haha

Yesterday morning Roger said they went through 53 students to move 23 from the wait list. You top third guys should be getting calls any day now. I'm still hoping for the best from the middle third even though it seems like movement is going a lot slower.

i was told by roger this morning that i was in the top 10 but he called me an hour later to tell me that I'M IN!! you guys in the top third should be expecting a call soon!

oh wow congrats!!!

yeah i talked to Roger today... he told me I'm in the top 10 also. I hope I'm up next!

Does anyone know how many spots are open? or I guess it depends on whether accepted students drop their places, right? I emailed Roger earlier this week and he said that nothing has really changed for me, but I'm still in the middle third. Once he gets through you top third-ers, I'll probably be sitting on the edge of my seat, hoping to get that call. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on getting in prettyinpink! For everyone else, hang in there!

I'm in the middle third too. Has anyone heard for sure wether 52 people got in off the waitlist last year or wether it took 52 people off the waitlist to fill X (20-30) many spots? From the sounds of how it's going this year maybey ~50 people will get in with twice that many having to be called.
I think that makes us in the middle third feel better.

I'm also in the middle third and remember hearing that they went through approximately 90 people to get 52 students last year. Not completely sure if that's right but that's what I remember. It seems like the year before last they only needed a little under 40 students to fill the class so I don't know if we can count on them needing >50 again, but I still hope for the best.

Congrats to the people that got in. Does anybody have any updated stats from the waitlist?

Was just reading through this thread and it sounds like a lot of you are really close to getting in! Good luck! I'm an applicant for this next cycle and I will be submitting my secondary this week. I know why I like this school, but tell me, why do you all like this school so much and why do you want to go there?

I like that it's a newer school ( '04). They seem very attentive to the students and that they are constantly developing according to those needs and the trends of other schools.
The professors I interviewed with were sharp, engaging and knowledgeable of Touro. They seemed to like it there.
I know 2 students from there one who is finishing second year and one third year. They say they got/are getting a great education. They have done/expect to do well on their national exams. They say the Vegas health care system is getting very big very fast and there are a lot of good doctors and rotations. They only had some minor logistical complaints about a single class, some of the other students and the Vegas heat. They both like the area for their families. I have a little (ha!) family myself and that weighs my decision heavily.
Just writing this down and thinking how awesome it would be gets me excited.
There are other schools that I also like, I beleive it just has to feel right to you. There were deffinantly some schools that I just didn't get the vibe from when I interviewed.
Good luck.