Tucom/touro - Mi 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jubei

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how good or bad TUCOM/TOURO on Mare Island is? I've read some responses on the 'Interview' section about TUCOM, and it is very mixed. Some people love it, and some people hate it. I've talked to one student that is in his 4th year there, and he says that the facilities are poor, the administration is disorganized, and that most of the professors are either average to poor. I'm just curious about what other peole have heard.

Members don't see this ad.

jubei said:
Can anyone tell me how good or bad TUCOM/TOURO on Mare Island is? I've read some responses on the 'Interview' section about TUCOM, and it is very mixed. Some people love it, and some people hate it. I've talked to one student that is in his 4th year there, and he says that the facilities are poor, the administration is disorganized, and that most of the professors are either average to poor. I'm just curious about what other peole have heard.
Wow, I had heard positive stuff from a LV student but I don't know how representative that is. Now people are saying the admin & faculty are poor... I'd like to hear more too! I don't know much.

i've heard the same stuff, and i haven't even completed my touro secondary because once interviewed you have two weeks to anti up 2k

Members don't see this ad :)
I went on a tour this spring and thought is was a beautiful campus. As a Jewish applicant, Touro, is a great place. They keep up with the jewish traditions and values and I found it very comfortable. The campus is on an old military base. If they ask at an interview... One of the buildings for the school was used to amputate limbs during the Cival War. :scared:
Talk about getting a leg up... :D

I wish I could interview at Touro-CA; however I seemed to have missed the box to check on the AACOMAS web site. I thought Touro-NV and Touro-CA were the same for the primary application. At least I have an interview at Touro-NV!

-Ben

I had the oppurtunity to visit my friend there and go to his morning omm class. The instructors were good the students were nice and I liked the island. But I've always had an affinity for desolate places. The island is a crazy mix of old military facilities a golf course unused shipyards california coast line and a medical school. Some of my conceerns about going there would be how solid its clinical training sites are by the time I apply, how supportive is its administration is, and how expensive it is compared to other places. Honestly I hold suspicions about how osteopathic shcools are expanding to take advantage of the market and I wonder if they are doing so in a manner which is most helpful to their students. On the posetive note I really was fascinated by omm. The instructor used me for a demonstration and I really was aware of his clinical aptitude as every movement he made revealed my biomechanical deficiencies.(difficult to explain...it was a range of motion clinical asssesment class). I'd go there...but I'd look at my options first.--Ben.

DrB said:
I went on a tour this spring and thought is was a beautiful campus. As a Jewish applicant, Touro, is a great place. They keep up with the jewish traditions and values and I found it very comfortable. The campus is on an old military base. If they ask at an interview... One of the buildings for the school was used to amputate limbs during the Cival War. :scared:
Talk about getting a leg up... :D

I wish I could interview at Touro-CA; however I seemed to have missed the box to check on the AACOMAS web site. I thought Touro-NV and Touro-CA were the same for the primary application. At least I have an interview at Touro-NV!

-Ben

Ben,

I shouldnt be too problematic to have AACOMAS send your application to TUCOM-MI.... people add school post-primary submission all the time...
Good luck with the applications process!!!

Brian

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I graduated in the class of 2004, and I have absolutely no regrets about going to TUCOM. It's a different place now and I would say clearly for the better. All the stuff that was promised to my class (and didn't get done in time for us) is now finished. We were the last class to use the officers club as a classroom, and the first class to use the new classroom complex. :D
Now, I have seen bigger, more organized, older schools and their students always have something to complain about too. Not one of my classmates ever complained that we got a poor education. I believe we showed up for 3rd year ready. More so than some of the students from other schools. We had more choices for rotation core sites and more electives than any school I've heard of. As for match results, even I was suprised at the diversity and quality of the residencies that my classmates picked up. Touro has residents at some great programs such as Yale, Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, Davis, USC, UCSF, as well as some great DO training facilities. Many other schools out there can say the same, but they are not as new as TUCOM. Of course I am biased, but I just thought I'd share. :cool:

M00se said:
I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I graduated in the class of 2004, and I have absolutely no regrets about going to TUCOM. It's a different place now and I would say clearly for the better. All the stuff that was promised to my class (and didn't get done in time for us) is now finished. We were the last class to use the officers club as a classroom, and the first class to use the new classroom complex. :D
Now, I have seen bigger, more organized, older schools and their students always have something to complain about too. Not one of my classmates ever complained that we got a poor education. I believe we showed up for 3rd year ready. More so than some of the students from other schools. We had more choices for rotation core sites and more electives than any school I've heard of. As for match results, even I was suprised at the diversity and quality of the residencies that my classmates picked up. Touro has residents at some great programs such as Yale, Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, Davis, USC, UCSF, as well as some great DO training facilities. Many other schools out there can say the same, but they are not as new as TUCOM. Of course I am biased, but I just thought I'd share. :cool:

hi. do you know what the board passing rates are? thanks.