Tufts 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlanderdds

aka highlanderDMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just sent my deposit today! Who else is going to Tufts this fall?:)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by highlanderdds
I just sent my deposit today! Who else is going to Tufts this fall?:)

congratulations!
you got accepted at Tufts, but waitlisted at NYU, who says NYU is easy to get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Ahhh yeah! Although, if you just sent in your deposit to Tufts, you better change the ending of your screen name to "DMD".

I too am Boston-bound. Tufts is a GRRREEEEEEEEAT school!:love:

I am! :clap:

All on student loans too! :(

Tufts bound. I interviewed at nine schools and really felt Tufts had the best combination of clinical (not too old, not too new) and educational (impressed by that large lecture hall, shared library with meds) facilities. The interview day was the most professionally done (no down time) and the New England Medical Center provides great hospital affiliation. I'm thinking Backbay offers an amazing living scene. What do you guys think?

dental 44:

what's the rent like in Backbay area? How far is it from campus? Is it within walking distance?

Hi Folks,

I've lived in Boston for almost all of my life and I can tell you that the Back Bay is ridiculously expensive. However, the rental market has been slower for the past year.

Also, the Back Bay is pretty big, and some neighborhoods are not really within walking distance of BMC. Remember, it gets well into the single digits during the winter, and even walking one city block is painful.

If you are looking for an apartment I suggest that you check out the following web pages:

http://bostonapartments.com
http://realestate.boston.com

If anybody has any direct questions about neighborhoods, I can give you some advice. Just send me a private message.

Regards,

Dan

I've heard that beacon hill and cambridge are the super expensive areas.:confused: :confused:

Well, those are very pricey neighborhoods too, but the whole city is really expensive compared to other cities.

Here's a typical listing for the back bay:

BOSTON - BACK BAY - NO FEE - 1 BEDROOM - 1 BATH - Exeter St and Newbury St New Kitchens Wall to wall carpet Dishwasher Heat, Hot water and A/C included Laundry on each floor Free rent on select units Copley stop (Green line) nearby Please Call 617-236-4860 Available: Now. $1,900 nac-476441
Newman and Company - (617) 236-4860 Email - [email protected]

If I was looking to save money, I would live in the Mission Hill area. It is fairly cheap, and it is close to the Longwood medical area. It is a little bit sketchy, but there are a LOT of undergraduates there, so it makes it somewhat safe.

If you're contstrained by price, then search apartments based on that criteria and let me know which neighborhoods you come up with and I will let you know if you are in danger there.

Regards,

Dan

damn, i'm gonna be a DOUBLE jumbo....<sigh> hehe, i guess that's both a good and bad thing~ :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am meeting ms wasilenko next week. any one know what interview questions are like at tufts. also what did you like most about the program?
congrats all of you!

Has any one of you received anything after you sent in the deposit? ie financial aid package?

I got a financial aid package, and a MPH package.

highlanderdmd:

I found the financial aid package to be relatively straight foreward. If you are thinking about applying for the Tufts Grant or the Tufts Loan, do not expect to score much cash this way. After speaking with someone from the fin. aid office, they indicated that only about 30% of total applicants for these loans actually see any money. Now I'm not trying to get you to not apply, but I suggest everyone to be savvy (because this school is pretty expensive). I wouldn't disclose your parents information unless you are confident that you will recieve money from Tufts (it could increase your EFC). Just my advice, shoot it down if you will.

Congrats.

Tufts 2008

highlanderdds
Dentaldream
Reed1978
Ecks
moonvision

Congratulations to everyone here, I am D'06 at Tufts, and I live with another D'06 in Beacon Hill area. We have 2 bdrm,1bath apartment, which is rather small but nice and quite close to school. We pay 1650$ / month. So just giving u an idea that u could get apartments in beacon hill area for reasonable value as compared to other Boston areas. If u have any questions about livin, or anythin in general, I would be happy to answer.
Viraj

Hey Viraj,

Does Tufts have some sort of roommate match program for incoming students?

Also, I heard that Tufts hires a 2nd year student to help incoming students find housing. Do you know if this service is helpful or not?

Oh ya, I heard that Tufts 2nd year is a killer. Any truth to that?

I've heard finding an apartment in boston can be pretty tough and expensive. When are the best times to go searching? I would assume in May/early June because that's when a lot of students would be out for the summer. Do we have a roommate matching program by then? I'm (probably) going to TUFTS, coming from CA, so I'm flying blind out here! Is Medford a good area to live? What T is closest to Tufts? Thanks a bunch!!

Medford is fine, but pretty far out there.
Tufts is right off the Orange Line at the New England Medical Center stop. I'm going to be looking for roomies and staying in town close to the school. I lived out in Malden before and really, if you have the option, stay in town.

Medford is where the main campus is......WAY OUT THERE...impossible to live in Medford.....

Like Bob said, Tufts is right on the Orange Line, so you could live anywhere w/in the city.....just remember to calculate a T monthly pass when figuring out the budget for rent....

monthy subway pass is ~$40 a month.

thats pretty reasonable.....

so when should all this apartment hunting begin? Should I be looking for listings downtown? Do most people rely on the T for getting around? I'm thinking the car might have to go, I don't think I can afford it (let alone drive it in the snow ha ha) Sorry for all the q's! Thanks for the help. :)

The T is really good here and how most of us get around. Now that I'll be going back to school, I'll be ditching my car since it is pretty expensive to keep one in boston. The garages are not cheep and as long as your in town, you'll hardly ever use it unless you leave every weekend. Right now is a good time to start getting a feel for apartments. You can try craigslist to get a sense of how much rent will be and what availability is like.

Originally posted by LITTLED
so when should all this apartment hunting begin?

Dont know, but I'll probably start in June. Right now, I'm casually getting acquainted with the different areas to live in Boston.

Should I be looking for listings downtown?

I'm looking to live outside downtown. If that means a longer commute, so be it. I dont want to live in such a crowded/busy environment.

Do most people rely on the T for getting around? I'm thinking the car might have to go, I don't think I can afford it (let alone drive it in the snow ha ha) Sorry for all the q's! Thanks for the help. :)

From what I know, most people use the T. I'll definately not be bringing my car.

I'm going to Tufts!! I'm mailing my deposit tomorrow :clap:

Did you guys get into BU as well? It was hard deciding between BU and Tufts. But I liked Tufts better when I visited the school.

Originally posted by DMDgirl2008
I'm going to Tufts!! I'm mailing my deposit tomorrow :clap:

Did you guys get into BU as well? It was hard deciding between BU and Tufts. But I liked Tufts better when I visited the school.

Good Call! - Tufts should be the ivy-league of Dental Schools (clinically speaking).

Originally posted by Mo007
Good Call! - Tufts should be the ivy-league of Dental Schools (clinically speaking).

How does their curriculum stress clinic work? What is it in their curriculum that makes it very strong clinically?

Does Tufts do a coats ceremony for the incoming class? And if so, when? I guess they probably don't give you one of those cool little school emblem buttons to wear on your collar do they? It seems like everyone I know that is either in dental school or med school received some little token from the school during their orientation (t-shirts, mugs, and those really phatty insulated cooler lunch bags with the school logo on it). Hey, if 65G is being put towards my education every year - I want free trinketts from my future alma matter!!

Congrats to yall heading over to Tufts.

Im just doing a bunch of research on schools and stuff and just wondering what ur guys stats are for getting accepted.

This is my situation. My first two years were ****s (around 3.0). But my last two years were good (3.8-3.9). So some schools get turned off with my first two years, but Im hoping that someone wil come through for me.

I just wanna see where I stand in the (accepted) applicant pool.

Thanks guys.