Tuft's Adventure's in Veterinary Medicine - worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoodle

UC-Davis DVM/PhD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering what you guys thought about the AVM program at Tufts. It's really expensive - $910 for a week without housing. It's in June. The program is at http://www.tufts.edu/vet/avm/college.html - there are subsets of the programs for high school students and adults as well.

Most importantly, does admission into the program (it says it's competitive, but I have no idea how, and I doubt its all THAT competitive) help with admission to Tufts or any other school? I just don't know if I have $1000 to plunk down unless it's really important. :scared:

I'm already quite sure I'm going into veterinary medicine, and I've spent a lot of time at teaching hospitals (UPenn) and traveling clinics, so I don't necessarily feel like I'd get a lot of out of it in terms of career advice. On the other hand, it might be a good way to see the school before applying.

What do you think? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

On the other hand, it might be a good way to see the school before applying.
If that's your main motivation, you could probably also call the admissions office to schedule a visit, including a tour of the hospital and other facilities, completely for free. :)

Their open house was fun, but aside from seeing the teaching hospital, oncology and MRI, they did not show us the lecture halls, library, or labs.

(Cornell's open house took you through the lecture, library and class lab areas).

I guess I could've asked at Tufts, but it was crowded and busy, and I had just assumed initially before going that they show you everything.

However, it was a gorgeous campus, nice connected (small animal/large animal) hospital, and folks in Massachusetts are quite nice. The large animal barn areas were part of the open house, as well as the raptor center which was very cool.

If that helps any... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The AVM program is nothing like a scheduled tour or open house. You get to shadow 4th year students on their rotations (of your choice) for 1 week - I got to see some amazing surgeries that I'm SURE most of us would never see at a normal animal hospital. You get to experience what a lecture is like. You even get to stick your entire arm up a cow's butt. But, it's more than that too. All I can say is if you can afford it, and you have the time for it, do it.

EDIT: I just realized your motivation for doing the program. I second what kate_g said :)

Well, my primary motivation is not going on a tour - it's whether attendance would help with admissions. If it does, then seeing the campus beforehand is just a nice bonus. Otherwise, I could go see it myself and I do have some connections there such that I could meet students, etc. I guess I just want to know whether the admissions office sees anything in you that you went - other than that you could afford it...???

Yes, I was told from someone that did the AVM and got accepted into Tufts (non-resident) that they look very highly on the AVM for veterinary experience. By the way you get to meet several of the ad-com members during your week there. Is it worth the extra $1K just for that though? I look at that part of it as more of a bonus of the program. At least for them it would certainly show you know what you're getting into.