Tufts, Columbia, NYU, UVM post-bacs

Started by 06ean
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

06ean

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone on the difficulty and level of academic competition at Tufts, Columbia, NYU, and UVM (or any of them, for that matter)? I'm a recent graduate of Williams College, and I found the science classes there to be highly challenging and was hoping for something a little more doable for post-bac (I would still like a challenge, though) Any information about any of these programs would be GREATLY appreciated!!! PLEASE help me!!!

I'm inclined to think that UVM would enable me to earn the highest grades, and I would still have Williams College in my resume as a competitive institution, and I'm concerned that my grades at some of the top post-bac schools may not be as high. However, I would prefer to be in Boston or NY, and I'm wondering about the level of difficulty at those other schools. PLEASE HELP!!
Thanks!
 
06ean said:
Can anyone on the difficulty and level of academic competition at Tufts, Columbia, NYU, and UVM (or any of them, for that matter)? I'm a recent graduate of Williams College, and I found the science classes there to be highly challenging and was hoping for something a little more doable for post-bac (I would still like a challenge, though) Any information about any of these programs would be GREATLY appreciated!!! PLEASE help me!!!

I'm inclined to think that UVM would enable me to earn the highest grades, and I would still have Williams College in my resume as a competitive institution, and I'm concerned that my grades at some of the top post-bac schools may not be as high. However, I would prefer to be in Boston or NY, and I'm wondering about the level of difficulty at those other schools. PLEASE HELP!!
Thanks!

I did my undergrad at Tufts where I was a science major. As you might know already, the post-baccs at Tufts take their classes with the undergrads. From my own experience, the pre-med classes (GChem, Organic, Physics, and Bio) are very challenging and are designed to weed out people. In fact, one of the Gen Chem professors famously said to us on the first day of class that 1/3 of the class would be gone one week after the first exam. On average, based upon my memory, I would say that no more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the class received an A or A- in either Gen Chem or Physics.

Several years later, after undergrad, when I was then thinking about medical school, I briefly considered Tufts for my post-bacc. I quickly eliminated it from my list, partly because of the difficulty level of the classes, but also because of the cost.

Just my own experiences. Good luck in your decision.
 
that's exactly what I was wondering - very helpful!

anyone have any input for any of the other schools? UVM, NYU, Columbia?? Thanks!!