Tufts, Cornell: Socially conservative, neutral, or liberal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HyenaArena

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello new friends! Just got word that I got into Cornell, and also have an interview at Tufts coming up. Wondering what the political/ideological climate at these two schools is like. I'm black and queer and coming from New York City, so I have a very low tolerance for intolerance. I hear Ithaca is pretty liberal, but I know the rest of upstate NY is at least very politically conservative, and I don't know much about North Grafton.

Also, if anyone knows anything general about the LGBTQ and POC presence on these campuses (groups, activism, etc), I'd love to know! Anyone care to weigh in?

Members don't see this ad.

Ithaca is pretty welcoming as you've indicated; there is a club for LGBTQ at Cornell that is pretty active and students and faculty tend to be pretty open about their partners/significant others (i.e. mention it in polite conversation). The area outside of Ithaca (within 10-15 miles) seems pretty progressive too; I can't remember hearing any conversation or reading any sign that made me cringe. I am a straight male FWIW.

Edit: Forget to say congrats on getting in!

Tufts is not that diverse. It's in the middle of nowhere. As a minority student who's spent much of the past four years feeling isolated, I'd suggest going elsewhere if having a vibrant, diverse class is important to you. Sad but true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts is not that diverse. It's in the middle of nowhere. As a minority student who's spent much of the past four years feeling isolated, I'd suggest going elsewhere if having a vibrant, diverse class is important to you. Sad but true.

Thanks for your honesty, and I'm sorry to hear you've felt isolated at Tufts--that's a big fear of mine. I actually just got an email from one of Cornell's students of color asking if I'd be interested in meeting with other minority students and prospectives for dinner during my campus visit. I'm thinking that's a very very good sign for Cornell.

I would say the same about Tufts. My extended family lives about 20 minutes from N. Grafton, and it's a very, very blue collar area. Not much diversity there, unfortunately. I spent a week at Tufts with the AVM program, and I didn't see anyone of color the whole time I was there. I don't know about LGBT issues, but I imagine it's probably the same situation.

Cornell 100%. Tufts is a great school, but there is nothing in the area. Boston is not that close to the Grafton campus.