Tufts Dental shadowing proof

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent4533

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Tufts still require 40 hrs of shadowing documented in the recommendation letter? It doesn't specify on their website or on AADSAS.

Members don't see this ad.

D.M.D. Program Application

Application requirements on their website show a "Dental Shadowing Requirement" of 75 hours, with at least 40 of those being from a general dentist.

Yeah, I saw that too, but does anyone know if the number of hours needs to be stated in the recommendation letter? Also, is it still required to have a general dentist recommendation or can I submit one from an orthodontist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I don't know how I managed to overlook you asking about it specifically in the letter of recommendation. I sent my app there and never mentioned anything about hours needing to be in the letters to my writers, so heres to hoping it isn't required!

My guess is if they want the hours from the general dentist specifically they'd want the recommendation from them as well. Wouldn't hurt to give them a quick call to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ok thanks! I'll have to give them a call

I called them about this a few months ago and they said it was fine if the lor isn't from a general dentist. Mine is from an orthodontist as well.
As long as you have shadowing from a general dentist listed in your aadsas, they said it was fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I called them about this a few months ago and they said it was fine if the lor isn't from a general dentist. Mine is from an orthodontist as well.
As long as you have shadowing from a general dentist listed in your aadsas, they said it was fine.
I have heard they require you shadow for 40 hours with the dentist that writes your LOR. Do you know if that is true?

I have heard they require you shadow for 40 hours with the dentist that writes your LOR. Do you know if that is true?
All that matters is you have your LORs and your 40+ hours with a general dentist and 75+ hours with a general or specialty - whether they're separate people/dentists or the same, they don't care. So if dentist #1 you've shadowed for 100 hours and dentist #2 you've only shadowed for 15, but dentist #2 will write a better letter/knows you more personally, pick dentist #1 for proof of shadowing and dentist #2 for LOR. Probably less leg work for you if the LOR from a dentist also mentions your 40+ hours there though.