Tufts dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreveragator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know how good the clinical curriculum is at tufts compared to umdnj?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tufts has a great clinical program. I don't know anything about UMDNJ's curriculum

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know how good the clinical curriculum is at tufts compared to umdnj?

Tufts is very strong clinically, I assume UMDNJ is as well (based on it's location in Newark, I'm sure there's no shortage of patients). If you're from NJ, going to UMDNJ will save you $100K over going to Tufts.

That said, there are (at least) 5 people from Jersey in the Tufts D13 class that chose Tufts over UMDNJ.

yeah umdnj is really good clinically. but do you know what the clinical requirements are at tufts? or what the level of difficulty is to get patients?

in your opinion, what makes umdnj better, besides the cost?

After spending two weeks doing Gateway at UMDNJ I wouldn't want to go there for four years unless it really is to save $100,000 - and even then I'd think it through really carefully.

I loved Tufts. The fourth year students I have spoken with there said that their clinical skills are well beyond those of other people they know at other skills. Plus, the location is great and well, that new sim lab... wow.

nothing...
but cost is everything....

I am not trying to disrespect just stating my opinion..:)

I dont know why everything comes down to cost.
In my opinion cost shouldnt matter at all. After graduating your salary will be the top 5% in the US. You will have tons of money to live a happier life than 95% of US population.
However, 4 years of youth is never coming back. I say live in the presence and not for future.:)

I am not trying to disrespect just stating my opinion..:)

In my opinion cost shouldnt matter at all. After graduating your salary will be the top 5% in the US. You will have tons of money to live a happier life than 95% of US population.
However, 4 years of youth is never coming back. I say live in the presence and not for future.:)

I agree that everything doesnt come down to cost, and you're only young once. but i read these forums about people taking out 350k in loans and then breaking even for the next 10yrs of their lives. That has a bearing on what decision you make, no?

On another note, does anyone know what the job outlook is like for dentists in boston and nyc/nj?

I am sure it is pretty tough to get into Boston proper and NY as any big cities with its own DS they are oversaturated. I am sure there will be plenty of suburbs/ rural communities that will have needs for dentists.
MA does not post any sites for NHSC scholars though...

That's exactly what I though when I chose Tufts over my state school. Though honestly, as much as I love Tufts, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't question if I should've stayed in-state and saved $100K ($200K with interest). I wouldn't recommend anyone else make the same decision, especially if you want to specialize; there's just too much to do around here, that's why my grades suck haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure it is pretty tough to get into Boston proper and NY as any big cities with its own DS they are oversaturated. I am sure there will be plenty of suburbs/ rural communities that will have needs for dentists.
MA does not post any sites for NHSC scholars though...

I'd love to practice in Boston proper, but yeah, I doubt it will happen. Though it's not as hard to be successful in Boston as it is in the SF Bay area or LA area, it's still very saturated with Tufts/BU/Harvard/UConn/other dentists. If you're willing to take a pay cut, you could find an associate position in Boston netting a measly $100K a year, or you could do what Kat said and go to the suburbs and towns that need dentists and make $200K+ as a GP.

I'd love to practice in Boston proper, but yeah, I doubt it will happen. Though it's not as hard to be successful in Boston as it is in the SF Bay area or LA area, it's still very saturated with Tufts/BU/Harvard/UConn/other dentists. If you're willing to take a pay cut, you could find an associate position in Boston netting a measly $100K a year, or you could do what Kat said and go to the suburbs and towns that need dentists and make $200K+ as a GP.

I'm from Boston, and I'd MUCH rather open up shop in the suburbs or towns of MA/RI/CT than the city itself. The scenery is beautiful (depending on location but for the most part), the communities are normally really nice, and you don't have to deal with any of the chaos that setting up in Boston presents (parking, traffic, blizzards, construction, etc. etc). I love the city, but working/commuting in it gets old quick.

That's exactly what I though when I chose Tufts over my state school. Though honestly, as much as I love Tufts, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't question if I should've stayed in-state and saved $100K ($200K with interest). I wouldn't recommend anyone else make the same decision, especially if you want to specialize; there's just too much to do around here, that's why my grades suck haha.
UIC instate tuition and fee are going to increase to at least 46K if not 50K a year due to state funds cuts...

My current theory is that, as long as you're not living out of a box by the time you graduate and start working...dental school is 4 yrs of your life you will never get back. make the most of it, right? I'd like to justify my decision to go to tufts with that, lol. you may never get the chance to live in a big city after these four years.

My current theory is that, as long as you're not living out of a box by the time you graduate and start working...dental school is 4 yrs of your life you will never get back. make the most of it, right? I'd like to justify my decision to go to tufts with that, lol. you may never get the chance to live in a big city after these four years.

Yep, that's exactly how I thought when I made my decision. Though I think my decision was a bit harder; Chicago is way nicer than Newark :p

UIC instate tuition and fee are going to increase to at least 46K if not 50K a year due to state funds cuts...

Where did you get this info? I know about the budget crisis but this is the only thing I've heard anyone say about tuition being increased to this high.

Where did you get this info? I know about the budget crisis but this is the only thing I've heard anyone say about tuition being increased to this high.

Unfortunately, that info is accurate. I interviewed at UIC this winter and that's what they told us -- 46K for tuition and fees for next year, and up to 10-15% increase for every subsequent year.

ROFL, oh you're funny :) But yes, I would've gone to a cheaper school if I had gotten into one.

Unfortunately, that info is accurate. I interviewed at UIC this winter and that's what they told us -- 46K for tuition and fees for next year, and up to 10-15% increase for every subsequent year.

"The College’s five-year fiscal plan holds tuition increases to less than 10% annually." Taken from UIC College of Dentistry Strategic Plan:2010 and Beyond.

Attachments

• Dentistry Strategic Plan _Approved Faculty 062706_.pdf
    326.5 KB · Views: 90