Tufts MBS or SGU?

Started by kdh1988
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kdh1988

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My GPA in undergrad was a 3.2...MCAT 29 from top 20 school. I'm trying to decide whether to attend Tufts (get into med school possibly after 2 years...which I think is a long time and also very risky) or St. Georges (start now, receive a good education, become a doctor in 4 years from a less reputable med school). Is it worth it to wait two years to attend a low tier US medical school vs. attending St. Georges? What about if I were to get into a top 50 US med school at the end of two years? I don't know at what point it would be worth it.

Please help! So confused.
 
Without question graduating from a US med school is far and away more favorable.

Most students that graduate from respected post bacs are admitted to US med schools. That having been said nothing is guaranteed. I know one student that graduated from a very respected post bac program that did not get admitted to a US med school in part because he could not hit the 30 MCAT score. Check your finances, your finances may be a factor.
 
Man, I am debating the same exact issue right now. I was waitlisted at Tufts MBS, but got into SGU school of med and Commonwealth MC MBS program. I'm so torn between what I should do. I know if I go to an MBS program at Commonwealth, I will not be guaranteed an admission anywhere. I even heard that few of the MBS graduates from there ended up going to SGU anyways. So I don't want to waste another 1 or 2 years if I'm going to end up in the same place. But at the same time, I feel like I should give myself the most of my chances to get into a US med school. Any suggestions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My younger brother just graduated from BU and got into Tufts MBS program and is actually waiting to hear back from Georgetown's SMP program. I suggested to him that he take the postbac route and try to get into a US MD school. I have no other choice based on my grades to go to a Caribbean medical school. I feel as though he still has a chance and should spend the 11months to 2 years and get into a US school.

I dont want him to have the same struggles I'll have, having gone to a Caribbean Medical school. Passing steps....matching... etc.
 
Two years is not a long time, and you'll appear immature every time you repeat it. You should completely exhaust the possibilities of acceptance to a US school before considering the Caribbean. Do the post-bac. If not MD, then try DO. Then, if you can't imagine another career, Caribbean.