Tufts Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baracuda

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I 've been debating for ever between Columbia and Tufts and finally put the deposit down at Tufts mainly because of their great clinical program and the vibes I got from the school. I have a question. I know columbia is known as a specialty school and a lot of their students go on to place into specilty programs, but coming out of Tufts, do I stand a good chance of placing into a specialty of my choice (probably endo) in the location of my choice as long as I do fine on the boards ( I understand that it should be above 90) and be lets say top 20 in the class? Did I put my self at a disadvantage for placing into specialty by not going to CU?

Thanks for any insight you could give me

Members don't see this ad.

hey bar,

well i think tufts is a good choice. I just got in myself and I just interviewed at columbia. I think you'll stand a great chance at specializing at tufts. I thought that Columbia had a lot of students specializing but when you look at the info they gave out, 38 students go to GPR and they count that as specializing, so really it's not that many that actually go into the other fields. It actually made me think that the students are not as prepared and have to go to general practice residency for more training. But at tufts, you will at least have the fundamental skills for general practice. For me, since money is a big consideration Columbia might be one of my options or temple. We'll have to wait and see.

Stargirl,

congrats on getting in. The cost is a big factor for me as well but there isn't a significant difference between Tufts and CU (both are freakin expensive). its about 8G/year, but at tufts you can work as a dental hygenist from 3rd year and make 35/Hr, so it helps alot. Plus in my experience, the cost of living in New York was more than Boston. So there might be a couple of thousand dollar difference over the 4 years, but for me I think its worth it since you get a much better clinical training at tufts. Once you graduate, there is no difference between being 200 thousand in debt vs 210 thousand. you're screwed either way!!

Baracuda,

I think both schools will prepare you well for the future. I'm still trying to decide between tufts and columbia myself and sometimes I just feel like tossing a coin in order to make my decision. :) Tufts has a great program and has long as you work hard and place in the top 20-30 students, you will be able to specialize. I'm leaning towards Columbia b/c I like the medical/academic program. I have a few more days to decide.

TAL444