Tufts secondary - diversity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've just been doing too many of these, but is this the sort of question you're basically supposed to answer, even if you don't really have a good answer? I'm not an URM, but there aren't any other essays for Tufts, so I'm concerned that you're supposed to just make some essay fit for this one.

What are you guys doing / what did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I've just been doing too many of these, but is this the sort of question you're basically supposed to answer, even if you don't really have a good answer? I'm not an URM, but there aren't any other essays for Tufts, so I'm concerned that you're supposed to just make some essay fit for this one.

What are you guys doing / what did you do?

talk about why you think you're different than the other thousands of people that apply/thousands that attend the school.

I guess my question really is, if I don't answer this question, will it hurt me. In addition, if I answer it, but it's not especially related to how I'm different from all other applicants, will it hurt me?

Members don't see this ad :)
well, yes you should answer it. And the second part, what are you going to talk about?

I wrote about being a twin, i hope thats diverse enough

I wrote about being an Asian bio major.

I'm not an URM,

you don't have to be an urm to add to the diversity of a student population. I doubt that they mean to be so literal.

talk about a leadership experience you had, or talk about a trip that you took.
demonstrate that you have the capacity to learn from the diverse people around you.

this is what I did...but i don;t have an interview yet :cool:

"Diversity" doesn't mean "racial or ethnic diversity." They want to know what makes you different from everybody else, what unique life experiences and background you could bring to the incoming class.

It would thus not be a good idea to leave it blank, since by doing so you're basically saying, "Nothing."

"Diversity" doesn't mean "racial or ethnic diversity." They want to know what makes you different from everybody else, what unique life experiences and background you could bring to the incoming class.

It would thus not be a good idea to leave it blank, since by doing so you're basically saying, "Nothing."

yup, what he said.