Tufts University c/o 2024

Started by mo309
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Question for current/past students (@Dinashadow @kaydubs): do many Tufts vet students receive financial aid or scholarships of some sort? How is COL in the area?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for current/past students (@Dinashadow @kaydubs): do many Tufts vet students receive financial aid or scholarships of some sort? How is COL in the area?
Financial aid usually covers cost of living which is reasonable in Grafton/surrounding area. I found out in following years that my financial aid was coming from a “scholarship” but it wasn’t necessarily like I thought of scholarships in college/undergrad if that makes sense?
 
Question for current/past students (@Dinashadow @kaydubs): do many Tufts vet students receive financial aid or scholarships of some sort? How is COL in the area?
They should be sending out the schedule for your interview day pretty soon. One of the sessions you will be attending will be about tuition and financial aid, and they cover everything - COL, tuition, different types of financial aid (including scholarship @kaydubs is mentioning above), etc. It was suuuuper helpful.
 
Financial aid usually covers cost of living which is reasonable in Grafton/surrounding area. I found out in following years that my financial aid was coming from a “scholarship” but it wasn’t necessarily like I thought of scholarships in college/undergrad if that makes sense?
They should be sending out the schedule for your interview day pretty soon. One of the sessions you will be attending will be about tuition and financial aid, and they cover everything - COL, tuition, different types of financial aid (including scholarship @kaydubs is mentioning above), etc. It was suuuuper helpful.
Thanks guys. I feel pretty torn about whether or not to interview. I’m using the GI bill to fund my veterinary education, which will only contribute $25k/year for private school. So that’s why I was asking about financial aid/scholarships. (I also have a working spouse so may not qualify for financial aid?)
Bleh, super interested in the school and happy to have been invited to interview but I’m afraid it may be a stupid financial decision when I have a cheaper option. Also would rather someone get my interview spot that’s not waffling like I am!
 
Thanks guys. I feel pretty torn about whether or not to interview. I’m using the GI bill to fund my veterinary education, which will only contribute $25k/year for private school. So that’s why I was asking about financial aid/scholarships. (I also have a working spouse so may not qualify for financial aid?)
Bleh, super interested in the school and happy to have been invited to interview but I’m afraid it may be a stupid financial decision when I have a cheaper option. Also would rather someone get my interview spot that’s not waffling like I am!
Hey it’s up to you!! Wherever you think will be a better fit! Cost is involved but also where you will be happy too (dunno where else you got accepted, but best wishes regardless!)
 
Hi all! I was just wondering if anyone knows if it appropriate to bring along a partner or friend to the interview date. In the email it said they are welcome but I want to know if this is normal?

I brought my boyfriend and my dad to my interview. A lot of people had family with them!

Also @WonderingStudent it was around 400 interviews in past years, however, we just got an email about needing volunteers to host for over 300 prospective students for interviews!
 
just got an email about needing volunteers to host for over 300 prospective students for interviews!
This was my favorite time of year when I was a student on the admissions committee 🙂 Best of luck to all!!!

(I was still getting emails about students requesting housing despite having graduated.....they'd left my contact on the email accidentally)
 
tufts students, do you recommend staying overnight with a student before the interview? i feel like it could be helpful but i’m also nervous to sleep somewhere not-home the night before! (i’m about a 3.5 hour drive away)
 
tufts students, do you recommend staying overnight with a student before the interview? i feel like it could be helpful but i’m also nervous to sleep somewhere not-home the night before! (i’m about a 3.5 hour drive away)
Usually it’s a positive experience from the prospectives perspectives but if you’d rather stay elsewhere.

I stayed elsewhere with my parents before the interview but hosted many students while I was a student
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usually it’s a positive experience from the prospectives perspectives but if you’d rather stay elsewhere.

I stayed elsewhere with my parents before the interview but hosted many students while I was a student
@alygar Having grown up in New England, I would say it may benefit you to have a short commute in the morning in case of weather insanity. I'm with you on the comfort of being in your own space, but you just never know what the snow will do and I would build in as little risk as possible.
 
@alygar Having grown up in New England, I would say it may benefit you to have a short commute in the morning in case of weather insanity. I'm with you on the comfort of being in your own space, but you just never know what the snow will do and I would build in as little risk as possible.
Second this. Grafton snow removal is not always the best haha
 
tufts students, do you recommend staying overnight with a student before the interview? i feel like it could be helpful but i’m also nervous to sleep somewhere not-home the night before! (i’m about a 3.5 hour drive away)
^^seconding what everyone else has said!! I stayed with a student last year and it was nice to be able to casually talk to someone about the school and then not have to worry about having a crazy drive to the campus the next day. Being 3.5 hours away, I would recommend staying with a student because the interview day (if the same as last year) starts pretty early and if it does snow it can throw you wayyyyyyy off!
 
Does anyone know if Tufts needs our fall transcripts? I did not see it asked for explicitly in any of the emails, but want to be sure. Thanks!
 
Does anyone have recommendations on what a guy should wear for interviews?
Most of the guys I saw at our interview day were in suits. Maybe one or two in dress pants and dress shoes with a nice sweater, button down, and tie.

Same recommendation as the women as far as the tour goes though -- it's totally acceptable to change for the interview portion, especially if it's crummy weather outside.
 
Most of the guys I saw at our interview day were in suits. Maybe one or two in dress pants and dress shoes with a nice sweater, button down, and tie.

Same recommendation as the women as far as the tour goes though -- it's totally acceptable to change for the interview portion, especially if it's crummy weather outside.

What do women usually wear? Do you have to wear a suit or a business casual dress is ok?
 
What do women usually wear? Do you have to wear a suit or a business casual dress is ok?
I interviewed on December 16 and was accepted a few days later... most of the women were wearing pantsuits (what I wore) or skirts. After the interview everyone changed into flannels and jeans for the tour! 🙂 The faculty are very nice and laid-back though... a lot of them were in scrubs!
 
The interviews and all the other activities (except the campus tours) take place in a big administrative building that has bathrooms. Not too spacious but got the job done.

If we did plan on changing for the tour, is there somewhere to put our stuff during the interview? Like if I wanted to bring a change of shoes I don’t want to have to bring them into the interview with me
 
If we did plan on changing for the tour, is there somewhere to put our stuff during the interview? Like if I wanted to bring a change of shoes I don’t want to have to bring them into the interview with me

They have a place to hang your coat otherwise people had their guest hold their stuff for them during the interview. The parking is close by so I just went to my car quickly and grabbed by change of clothes
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any insight as to what our chances of gaining an OOS acceptance is once we get to the interview stage? I am so excited I got an interview but I don’t want to get my hopes up too much!
 
Does anyone have any insight as to what our chances of gaining an OOS acceptance is once we get to the interview stage? I am so excited I got an interview but I don’t want to get my hopes up too much!

Tufts is a school that admits a high amount of OOS but I don't know what percentage of OOS that they accept from interview, but it might be on the applicant stats on the Tufts website
 
Hey! Does anyone know if Tufts is still going to be sending interview invites out? I know they had about two waves now of invites sent, but I was wondering if there was gonna be anymore.
 
Just got the schedule for the interview day! Is it ok to leave before the last tour if it's something I'll be able to go on earlier in the day? It's one of the repeated activities.
 
Just got the schedule for the interview day! Is it ok to leave before the last tour if it's something I'll be able to go on earlier in the day? It's one of the repeated activities.

Yes! You're only really required to be there for your interview. The rest of the activities are for your own benefit of getting to know the school better.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I see people on here saying that they heard back only a few days after their interview—is this typical? I thought it wasn’t going to be for more like a month.
 
Hi everyone! I see people on here saying that they heard back only a few days after their interview—is this typical? I thought it wasn’t going to be for more like a month.
My understanding is that only the first interview date heard back pretty soon after they had their interview while everyone else hears back in mid Feb.