mrjustino

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Soo Ive been accepted to both Nova and Tufts, and im having a really hard time making the decision. I speak to family and friends about this, but always feel unsatisfied because i feel like they do not know the details...

Im from NYC, and my family is moving down to Florida, 45 minutes from Nova. This can be helpful having the mother nearby for food shopping and laundry, and i know the Sun keeps everyone :D. While i know no one in boston but realize that Tufts is a well established and respected school. Will graduating from either school have an effect on specializing, if i want to specialize? I know there are different boards for Florida and the Northeast, but will graduating from either school effect my chances of workng in either the north or south?

I feel that i have worked really hard to get to this point, and I want to make the correct decision, if that exists...I would really appreciate any input from anyone attending, planning on attending, or those who have attended to help me in this decision.

Thanks everyone for your time!

Daurang

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status
Dentist
Which one is cheaper to attend? That should be your #1 decision. After seeing approximately 10,000+ patients, no one has ever walked out nor cared which school I went to. If you're planning on specializing then I have no comment.

jmjfb23

!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Soo Ive been accepted to both Nova and Tufts, and im having a really hard time making the decision. I speak to family and friends about this, but always feel unsatisfied because i feel like they do not know the details...

Im from NYC, and my family is moving down to Florida, 45 minutes from Nova. This can be helpful having the mother nearby for food shopping and laundry, and i know the Sun keeps everyone :D. While i know no one in boston but realize that Tufts is a well established and respected school. Will graduating from either school have an effect on specializing, if i want to specialize? I know there are different boards for Florida and the Northeast, but will graduating from either school effect my chances of workng in either the north or south?

I feel that i have worked really hard to get to this point, and I want to make the correct decision, if that exists...I would really appreciate any input from anyone attending, planning on attending, or those who have attended to help me in this decision.

Thanks everyone for your time!
Graduating from either one should not affect your chances of specializing, both are good schools. There are different boards to practice in either area, but you will be able to take whatever boards you want no matter which dental school you attend, however you may need to travel to take them. I would really base your decision on which area you liked better, do you want to be near your family and cost, but I think they are pretty close in cost. Either school you will be happy with and you will get a good education if you put the time and effort in.

Gusah

DMD
10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2008
Status
Dentist
Tufts of course!!

Comparing myself to other residents currently, I feel Tufts has given me a strong background both academically and clinically. It is true no matter where you decide to attend, you will receive the same education. It all comes down to the cost, the city (whether you're compatible with it--it is 4 years of your life), and for some people whether they want to specialize or not.

If you are seriously thinking about specializing, I would choose the school that you also might want to do a residency at. No matter what people say, it will definitely be easier to get into a program where you know the directors. I don't know a lot about Nova, but Tufts has a lot of excellent PG programs. Hope this helps.

drteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
South FL
Status
Pre-Dental
I was in this same predicament a few months ago. I went for Nova, but it's a hard decision to make as both of the schools have a lot going for them.

I can think of a few drawbacks to Tufts. 1. They are doing some building renovations which may be a little annoying while you are there. 2. Although tuition is only slightly higher than Nova, Boston is significantly more expensive than the area that Nova is in. I know this because my sister went to school in Boston and I live just 20 mins away from Nova so I was able to do so comparisons. 3. Weather.

On the upside to Tufts - it's undergrad has a more recognizable and very good reputation. This confers a good reputation to the entire school - and gives it a good name that your patients will recognize.

Downside to Nova: 1. Not as recognizable of a school as Tufts, but as the 6th largest private school in America, it is certainly growing a reputation. 2. Call me biased, but I honestly cant think of much more.

All in all, dental school is what you make of it. I think a lot of it has to do with individual preference. Do you prefer warm weather or cold weather? Do you prefer an older school with some more history in Boston, or a new growing school in Fort Lauderdale? Where do you wanna end up practicing and living in the future? Do you wanna be near your family?

In the end I chose Nova because I feel that the quality of education is equally as good as that of Tufts, but I wanted to be near my family, in good weather, all the while saving a some cash. Another major thing I preferred about Nova was the fact that I could drive to class without a problem. I think driving is a little more difficult in Boston and getting to and from class might be a bit more of a hassle. The idea of shoveling my car out of snow in the mornings before class didnt exactly excite me either...

I think both schools are established enough that if you put in the effort you'll get what you want out of the school. It's all up to individual preference...

Good luck!

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
If you want to practice in florida, Nova will make things so much easier. The florida boards aren't necessarily a cake walk. Other regional boards from what I hear are not as difficult. Both schools will allow you to specialize if you do well and rank high enough. It seems to me that you have compelling reason to go to Nova. If I were in your shoes with the reasons you have given me I'd pick nova.

Reputation is of little importance here. If you value being near family then go to Nova.

xtractime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
LA
Status
Dentist
I think driving is a little more difficult in Boston and getting to and from class might be a bit more of a hassle. The idea of shoveling my car out of snow in the mornings before class didnt exactly excite me either...
no student really drives to tufts. its in downtown boston. i'm from FL so i know how convenient it is to drive anywhere. but such is the life in a big city...NYC...philly...anyone will tell u that the subway is more than enough. no need to shovel your car out of the snow. the real difference would be whether you want to wear winter gear or short sleeved shirts.