Tufts versus Mayo Rochester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you are talking about Tufts-NEMC? I'm soon to be a Tufts grad, but from what I hear, Mayo has the better national reputation. I have a friend who did his IM residency at Mayo and really liked it; he's now doing a GI fellowship at Lahey Clinic (another Tufts affiliate). However, if you like cities better than semi-rural areas, Tufts-NEMC might be better, and has excellent faculty as well. It really depends on what your preferences are; but I don't think you can go wrong with either institution.

irlandesa said:
I assume you are talking about Tufts-NEMC? I'm soon to be a Tufts grad, but from what I hear, Mayo has the better national reputation. I have a friend who did his IM residency at Mayo and really liked it; he's now doing a GI fellowship at Lahey Clinic (another Tufts affiliate). However, if you like cities better than semi-rural areas, Tufts-NEMC might be better, and has excellent faculty as well. It really depends on what your preferences are; but I don't think you can go wrong with either institution.
Thanks Irlandesa. The truth is that both programs are very appealing. I suppose that for fellowships, Mayo might be a little better. But Tufts is in Boston.. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Both programs are about the same. Mayo clinic is like Cliveland Clinic and it's mainly subspeciality-driven. CCF and Mayo are not popular among U.S. medical Graduates for genenral medicine residency training. You can not go wrong by going to either places for training. You should factor in the geographical location (rural vs. city like Boston (it's cold there, too)). Three years or more are not short time.

june015b said:
Both programs are about the same. Mayo clinic is like Cliveland Clinic and it's mainly subspeciality-driven. CCF and Mayo are not popular among U.S. medical Graduates for genenral medicine residency training. You can not go wrong by going to either places for training. You should factor in the geographical location (rural vs. city like Boston (it's cold there, too)). Three years or more are not short time.

Hi there, I wonder why is it that the US grads do not like to do IM residency in Mayo and Cleveland. After all, these are top hospitals and definitely have good fellowship placement. Please explain, I am confused.

Thank you very much June

1. those programs are geographically challanged.

dennis said:
Hi there, I wonder why is it that the US grads do not like to do IM residency in Mayo and Cleveland. After all, these are top hospitals and definitely have good fellowship placement. Please explain, I am confused.

Thank you very much June

dennis said:

Thank you very much June

Thse programs are better designed for subspecialty fellows and they get to do most good stuffs/procedures with less scuts. The hospitals are great but the Im programs are not comparable to NYC programs or Boston ones (except for Tufts). As you can see from the intern/resident rosters, there are many FMG in the programs (I know nothing is worng with that).

From my experience, you can't compare the two all that much. I'm at school in Cleveland and have done a few rotations at the CCF. For some reason, which is still a bit unclear unclear to me, they do not fare very well w/ regards to getting US grads in IM. The standard reason is that it's because they are sub-spec driven but I'm not sure that's really it. It's certainly a mixture of things including a less "academic" quality to the institution as a whole. I had great experiences there and it really is a great place to learn. They are working hard on this, and they hope the new school will help a bit. Also, I don't think they put much emphasis on their IM program, but I'm not sure why. The medicine residents I worked w/ were all FMG's who were smart as all get out. They felt that their program was not that great, and that they had a hard time getting help w/ fellowship placement. I worked w/ a senior resident who was the smartest guy I've ever met, and he could not get any support from the attendings w/ getting a GI fellowship. It was really quite sad. Again, it's a bit weird to me but it's just my experience.
I think Mayo places much more emphasis on their IM program. It sounds like a very resident friendly program w/ a huge emphasis on education and research. Their main problem might be getting people to come to Rochester over the other big city programs.

Art Vandelay said:
I think Mayo places much more emphasis on their IM program. It sounds like a very resident friendly program w/ a huge emphasis on education and research. Their main problem might be getting people to come to Rochester over the other big city programs.

I spent a month after 1st year for a clinical preceptorship program, and absolutely agree. From what I could see their IM program is tops and will give you a big leg up on fellowships. And everyone I met looked happy to be there. The drawback really is Rochester, but it's not *so* bad - it's clean and good for families, and for people already used to winter shouldn't be unbearable. IMO the clinic makes it worthwhile...even over Boston, a place I would definitely love to move to.

That said, while I was determined to go there I likely won't since I'm planning on peds now (which didn't strike me as being so worthwhile, the NICU at St. Marys was about the same as West Penn here in Pittsburgh).