Tufts Vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Konfetka

Sveta
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Congrats to everyone on their offers! So far I've got accepted into these 2 and have yet to hear from other schools. I was kinda nervous during the interview process so I didn't pay as close attention to everything as I would have liked so it's kinda hard for me to make the decision of where to go. So, which one do you like more and why?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet's to take a day or two off and revisit both schools, since they're both in the same area.

But if you really want comments, I like BU more. My gut feeling tells me Tufts is 2nd to BU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm choosing BU... I guess the only real reason for me is that there's a pretty big difference in the two schools' GPA/DAT stats.

I dont know what years the predents website is referring to, but at the top, they say that tufts has ~18.22DAT with 3.3GPA, and BU has a ~19.1DAT with 3.55GPA. They seem like pretty huge differences.

In talking to people in the dental community many say that Tufts is a better name and a better school. I dont know where predents.com got it's stats b/c i dont think that there is such a hudge gpa diff. and I know more people that got into BU and not Tufts than the other way around.

Dude Yeyy, those stats are based on only the people that are in predents.com. So for all the people that said they're interviewed at BU or Tufts, predents.com average those people's scores. If you look at a dental book or some other resources of dental schools, you will see Tufts has higher GPA and DAT.

i meant the stats taken from the ADEA guide (at the top of the page), and also if you look up the ranking of the schools based on GPA/DAT etc... BU is usually on top. Anyways though, tufts is known to prepare people very well with a lot of clinical experience and all, so I'm not saying it's a bad program or anything. I just like BU's smaller class size, and going to school one street over from boston's chinatown isn't something I would want to do for 4 years (because i'm asian).

i meant the stats taken from the ADEA guide (at the top of the page), and also if you look up the ranking of the schools based on GPA/DAT etc... BU is usually on top. Anyways though, tufts is known to prepare people very well with a lot of clinical experience and all, so I'm not saying it's a bad program or anything. I just like BU's smaller class size, and going to school one street over from boston's chinatown isn't something I would want to do for 4 years (because i'm asian).

The statistics will vary year by year but overall I'd say both schools are pretty comparable as far as the quality of the applicants. Both schools will prepare you to be competent clinicians and you can't go wrong with either school. You just have to choose which school you would feel more at home in. :)

In talking to people in the dental community many say that Tufts is a better name and a better school. I dont know where predents.com got it's stats b/c i dont think that there is such a hudge gpa diff. and I know more people that got into BU and not Tufts than the other way around.

Really, and this is based on what fact??? I applied to BU and not to Tufts, I got accepted to BU. I'd say both are very good dental schools, but, it is false to say what you did above. The following links are facts that say which school receives the most research funding.

Just click it, and compare how much BU receives in funding versus Tufts.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/Den...utions2005.htm

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/Den...utions2006.htm

BU.
BU.
BU.
BU.

Hands down ....

Tufts University has a reputation in the north east for being a good school. Coming from the south, I had never heard of this until I actually interviewed there and I was surprised to hear it. But in all honesty, both schools are great. If you are having trouble deciding which school to attend, my best advice would be to go visit the schools one more time and take a second look. Sometimes your interview jitters will distract you from actually soaking in your surroundings. Since BU and Tufts are in the same city, you would only have to make one trip to visit both schools.:)

I think I would hav applied to tufts if their school were on the Medford (undergrad) campus

I think I'm just going to revist Tufts since I feel I know BU pretty well coming from BU undergrad. The thing with BU is that I shadow the dentist that does APEX and he said I can just work with him the summer after my first year if I go to Tufts just as they do in BU. So APEX has no big benefit for me. Also, does anyone know if all of the chairs in Tufts are new? I think in BU one floor has new stuff and the other has old.

I think I'm just going to revist Tufts since I feel I know BU pretty well coming from BU undergrad. The thing with BU is that I shadow the dentist that does APEX and he said I can just work with him the summer after my first year if I go to Tufts just as they do in BU. So APEX has no big benefit for me. Also, does anyone know if all of the chairs in Tufts are new? I think in BU one floor has new stuff and the other has old.

What chairs are you talking about? The one's in the lecture hall (nothing special about these), simulation lab (still fairly new), or the pre-clinical classroom (not the greatest)? I believe Tufts is planning on adding a few floors to the school which would be completed in about 4-5 years (not sure on the exact details).

I'm talking about the clinical chairs...where you see the patients.