Tufts vs Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guardian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been pulled off the waitlist from boths schools the past week and I have to come to a decision quickly. I'm looking to career of clinical research and I think I'm pretty much set on that (I'm not exactly sure what exactly, maybe oncology/cancer research...).
It seems rather common for medical doctors to collaborate with basic research scientists in forming clinical applications.

I think both schools are equally competetive (maybe Tufts is more so). And for primary care either school would be fine. But it seems to me that Tufts is better suited for providing the track I mentioned earlier. Tufts has an electives program open to research, a senior thesis program, and seem to encourage students interested in clinical research. In addition, a quarter of the physicians at their primary teaching hospital have some connection to research.

On the other hand, Downstate is ranked 7th in terms of how their graduates rank in faculty positions at other schools. Which would indicate that Downstate would be strong in providing a track to academic medicine.

Please voice your opinions and input. Very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

guardian,

wow, what a great decision to make! if i were in your shoes, i would choose downstate. although, it's only b/c i absolutely love new york (as it is where i did my undergrad). plus, the tuition issue alone would push me towards downstate. good luck--wherever you choose to go!

Guardian,

I asked my friend who is now a 3rd year at Downstate. He went to Tufts undergrad with me. Here is his response, as he was accepted to both Tufts and Downstate.

He wrote:
your friend's situation was almost like me! i dont need to tell you that i
regret my decision, but here is what i can offer your friend:
1) are you a NYS resident? if so, the difference in tuition is real and
significant.
2) are you taking out loans or are your parents footing the bill?
3) were you accepted to md/phd programs at both places?

here is the deal: you will have absolutely no problem getting a research
advisor at downstate. so many of my friends have done it, and most likely you
can get paid for it too. i have no real interest in research so i didnt
investigate that path, but usually what people do is during the summer after
1st year, they do a research project. sometimes, it extends to however long
the student wants to stay inthe group. there are all sorts of electives to
take, even starting from second year, so i dont think that will be a problem.
and the faculty i think has a decent rep: we even had a nobel prize winner in
1998. the big difference is, i think the actual research facilities at tufts
will be better. the things we have here in brooklyn look like pretty dated.
plus, the name value of tufts may go a long way when graduation time comes.

so, if you can afford tufts, go for it. its just like in undergrad. the
actual education is similar at both places, its just that at tufts, you will
be living in a nicer place, have better research facilities, and a stronger
rep. at downstate, the neighborhood is crappy, the buildings are old, but its
cheap. for me, it came down to finances. you may be much happier at tufts,
and that may be worth the extra money.

hope this helps.
Neel

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Neel,
Thanks for giving your friends input. Alot of people have said things similar to what your friend has said. I'll have to give it some more thought (and quickly too, don't want any other waitlisted people to suffer as a result of me ;)).

CityIvy,
Which undergrad did you go? Have you heard from the 2 Jersey schools?

guardian,

i went to columbia--soon to be attending med school in mexico probably. and no i haven't heard from the two nj schools. i'm not expecting to b/c they accept VERY few off the waitlist and i'm just not high enough on their ranked lists.

you know, my friend from college had to make the same decision as you. even though she's from long island, she ultimately chose tufts. which school are you leaning towards?

guardian,

have you decided where you wanted to go yet? i personally wouldn't let cost be huge factor in my decision if you really would prefer tufts over downstate. if the costs were equal, would your decision be easier? when do you need to decide by?

cityivy,

don't give up hope on those ranked waitlists. i think ranked waitlists may actally be easier to get off of. what i mean is that people that are ranked low will not be motivated to work as hard to update the school and thus those who are truly motivated and desire to attend will stand out more. compare this with "unranked" lists, where everyone thinks they are getting in and will make every effort to get of the waitlist. so don't give up hope. i would continue updating schools and remain optimistic. things always seem to work out at the end. if medical school doesn't work out maybe something else will?

take care,
Peter