Tufts vs. NYU???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lbennett

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any advice... tufts vs. nyu?

Members don't see this ad.

lbennett said:

both cost a fortune..tufts has a better reputation though..and better board scores if i'm not mistaken. tufts is in mass,nyu is in new york..go to tufts. just my opinion of course. also keep in mind nyu's insanely large class size (~270 as opposed to tufts 150)

i'd definitely chose tufts..i've heard a lot about it, and its a really good school.
plus, boston definitely better than nyc.

Members don't see this ad :)
lbennett said:
Whoa! Deja vu! You know, there's someone on the dental forum in your exact same dillema?! NYU. 4 sure.

What if you throw in BU in there?

Tufts vs. BU vs. NYU?

Wonder if we can get the official "board scores" somewhere. I think Boston is better city to live, but that's just me. ^_^

Ok what about Tufts vs Detroit Mercy? I will be going to one of those but it's going to be a VERY tough decision.

Out of all the schools mentioned in this thread... I would choose tufts for sure.

I'd go with Tufts. NY and you won't just be broke, you'll be b-b-b-broke.

BeachLuvr said:

oh my...b-b-b-broke---a$$ u mean.LOL
beachluvr - u're HILLARIOUS! :laugh:

BeachLuvr said:
Yo go broke with any of the schools mentioned above, but Tuffs is a better clinical school rather than research. My dentist graduates from Tuffs and owns three practices in two years in Vegas, and of course, he has a rich family in support.

If I had to pick between Tufts or NYU, I would for sure go with Tufts. I am still deciding between Detroit and Tufts. Sure Detroit would be a little cheaper and I know people that go there but it is DETROIT. It's just not a good city to live in which is the main draw back.

RachMSU said:
If I had to pick between Tufts or NYU, I would for sure go with Tufts. I am still deciding between Detroit and Tufts. Sure Detroit would be a little cheaper and I know people that go there but it is DETROIT. It's just not a good city to live in which is the main draw back.

whats the difference in the price tag of detroit and tufts and where do you live now? Tufts is a great school i think its a little cheaper than nyu too. and boston is fun to live in...

Nendo21 said:
whats the difference in the price tag of detroit and tufts and where do you live now? Tufts is a great school i think its a little cheaper than nyu too. and boston is fun to live in...

Well I live in Lansing, Michigan right now. Detroit's tuition increased to $40,000 this year and I believe Tufts is very close to that around $38,000. I am not sure how expensive it is to live in Detroit but I know it is high in Boston. Tufts gave us a sheet estimating $68,000 for tuition/books/instruments/living expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
RachMSU said:
Well I live in Lansing, Michigan right now. Detroit's tuition increased to $40,000 this year and I believe Tufts is very close to that around $38,000. I am not sure how expensive it is to live in Detroit but I know it is high in Boston. Tufts gave us a sheet estimating $68,000 for tuition/books/instruments/living expenses.

go for tufts...

RachMSU said:

I think you should go to Tufts.

Go to Starbucks and get yourself a nice white chocolate mocha. Bring with you info. @ NYU and info. @ Tufts. Bring with you info. about NY City and Boston...cost of living, recreation, proximity to other locales of interest, proximity to loved ones... etc. Might want to bring a couple 'a more bucks for a second cup to get you through. Compare your options...mull over it awhile...Then put everything away, say a little prayer, and go with your instinct.

Beach

BeachLuvr said:
Go to Starbucks and get yourself a nice white chocolate mocha. Bring with you info. @ NYU and info. @ Tufts. Bring with you info. about NY City and Detroit...cost of living, recreation, proximity to other locales of interest, proximity to loved ones... etc. Might want to bring a couple 'a more bucks for a second cup to get you through. Compare your options...mull over it awhile...Then put everything away, say a little prayer, and go with your instinct.

Beach

Sounds like a great idea Beach!!

I just like the way NYU sounds over Tufts. I think Tufts sounds like...well...it kinda reminds me of a tuft of grass to be honest...not a very intellectual assertion to base your dental education upon, but nonetheless, an honest and unbiased perspective. :laugh:

Heres the thing, coming from someone who lives near Boston. Tufts I believe is a great school. Not because I have been there but, I know a few dentists who have gone there and they said they loved it. Boston has the highest concentration of colleges in the country. What does that mean for you? Well, Boston is very, very, very diverse. You will meet people from all walks of life, I mean not only the students at Tufts itself but in whole city. There are tons and tons of things to do in and around Boston. Go to Fanuel Hall and get something to eat, go outside and listen to some music. Pretty much anything you can think of. If you can room with someone then rent isn't that bad. If you can stand a 15 minute drive to school, or even better yet take the T (subway) then you can really save on rent. The area is very very accommidating to students, more than usual because of all the colleges (student discounts). Airport, food, entertainment, train, shopping, apartments, clubs, beaches, Boston Commons etc. You can go study at other schools to if you want. The dentists I know would go to MIT sometimes and study in there library. Lots of hotels too in case family comes to visit and a lot of history in the city for sightseeing. Honestly, it is like NYC on a smaller safer scale, without some of the bad stuff (those of you from NYC don't get mad at me, one of the dentists that work in Boston now grew up in NYC and loves Boston, it's a direct quote). One of the things I love is that Boston being as old as it is, to your left you will see a tall scyscraper and to you right one of the oldest granite built churches in the country. Its the new plus old enviroment that gives it a great feel. Trust me go Tufts you won't regret it.

why do the number of my posts always show up as 0 +?

amartins02 said:
why do the number of my posts always show up as 0 +?

Less than 10 posts

two more posts and you are in the big leagues :D

lol, thanks.

dexadental... That is SO crazy. Can I just, can I just... have a second to emphasize the "SO crazy" part of that. :D

dexadental said:
I just like the way NYU sounds over Tufts. I think Tufts sounds like...well...it kinda reminds me of a tuft of grass to be honest...not a very intellectual assertion to base your dental education upon, but nonetheless, an honest and unbiased perspective. :laugh:

hyuck hyuck hyuck... :D