Tufts vs Penn vs Minnesota HELP PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RatsandaCat

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been extremely lucky to have been accepted at these schools but I am so lost as to where to go! I've found all of these forums so helpful and I feel like all of you guys are more educated on these schools than me. So here are my thoughts
Tufts - I'm in state but I don't overly want to be that close to home and its not that much cheaper than the other ones - plus lowest case load of the three
Penn - amazing school - but am a little nervous that I hear it has a "stuck up" attitude
Minnesota - Incredible people, amazing school, but a little far from home

PLEASE - if anyone has advice I would really appreciate it!!!
 
I personally did not find the students to be stuck up at all, I just fear the reputation in the field. But I agree, I should use my own judgements and not others.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard many people say tufts is stuck up as well

I'm not saying they are/insulting the school, my point is go by how you felt about the school, not how others feel (as Bobdog said)

If you look, you can find someone to insult every school out there.

if a job is going to discriminate based on you having a vmd rather than a dvm, rather than trying to get to know you, maybe you don't want to be working at that kind of job.

Good luck with your decision 🙂 you've got great schools to pick from
 
if a job is going to discriminate based on you having a vmd rather than a dvm, rather than trying to get to know you, maybe you don't want to be working at that kind of job.

If they do, then they're just Pennvious.... j/k

I agree that you have some fabulous schools to choose from. I visited both UPenn and Minnesota and was very impressed with both.

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but try flipping a coin (with 3 schools this will require multiple flips). If you are happy with whatever you get, then you were really undecided. If you wish you got a different answer, then deep down inside, you already know where you want to go.

Good Luck!:luck:
 
Don't be afraid of going "far from home". Minnesota is a very easy place to get to, as it is Northwest Airlines' hub. I'm from Seattle but went to school in Philly... and it's not so bad! don't let that sway you unnecessarily. that said, penn is great!
 
You've got some great choices here and can't really go wrong with whichever path you choose.

For the record, I go to Tufts and don't feel that the students/faculty/admin are stuck up at all. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have about the atmosphere here. But you've got to go with your gut on what feels like the best choice for you.

Good luck!


So I've been extremely lucky to have been accepted at these schools but I am so lost as to where to go! I've found all of these forums so helpful and I feel like all of you guys are more educated on these schools than me. So here are my thoughts
Tufts - I'm in state but I don't overly want to be that close to home and its not that much cheaper than the other ones - plus lowest case load of the three
Penn - amazing school - but am a little nervous that I hear it has a "stuck up" attitude
Minnesota - Incredible people, amazing school, but a little far from home

PLEASE - if anyone has advice I would really appreciate it!!!
 
So, I did not apply to Penn, but I did interview at both Minnesota and Tufts (accepted to Minnesota and an alternate at Tufts). I agree with earlier posts that you should weigh heavily your own experiences with the school. My only additional suggestion would be to consider what your interests are in the field. At Tufts I was very impressed with the Wildlife center, while at Minnesota I was drawn to their research facilities and small animal caseload.
 
you are very lucky to have these choices (im still waiting..) I am instate at tufts and live right down the street (im waitlisted) actually i was there this morning, the people there are great (administrative anyways). I have volunteered there and didn't get the impression that the students were stuck up. but here are somethings i would consider in making the decision between these three schools

- tufts is very isolated, it is not a campus that is included with the rest of the graduate/undergraduate portions of tufts. I am big on atmosphere of study, and tufts may be a little intense to study at, and it may be nice to have a variety of students surrounding you (i don't know what upenn and minn are like)
- tufts i would say is kind of like the liberal arts college of veterinary medicine schools. if you arent sure exactly what part of veterinary med you want to go into, it would be a great place for you to get exposure to all areas
-upenn has a great equine program if you are interested in that.
-travel is a pain in the butt, i went to undergrad across the country, holidays are difficult. but trying something new and different is also wonderful
 
I interviewed at both Tufts and Minnesota, and I liked both schools. I would consider what kind of environment you want to live in - I looked at Penn but decided I'm not a 'big city' kind of person, so I didn't apply there. On the other hand, Tufts was very isolated, and I couldn't figure out what my husband would do for fun. Minnesota seemed somewhat intermediate - plenty to do but not a huge intimidating city (at least not where the vet school is).