Tufts vs Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberMc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for doing yet another one of these, but I really want to know people's opinions- with and without money as a factor. The match lists look very similar, and the only difference I can see is location and money.

Anything you have to say?

School: USNews'05 - '04 Gourman'96 GPA MCAT Tuition Res. Director

Tufts University 40 44 23 3.52 10.03 $38,375 3.4

SUNY (Stony Brook) 56 54 30 3.55 10.33 $19,000 2.9

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you should make this decision based largely on location and quality of academic and medical facilities. I don't know much about Stony Brook, but Boston is an amazing city with a large student population. In addition, it's one of the world's leading centers of biomedical research/education. Some of the worlds' best hospitals are nearby (MGH, Brigham, Beth Israel). You've also got MIT, Harvard, BU, BC, Tufts, Brandeis, etc. In any case, it's a thriving and exciting metropolis with a lot of history.

The facilities at Tufts are very nice, and you can mingle with Tufts veterinary and dental students (I think this adds to the academic atmosphere). Obviously cost is a big factor, but consider what kind of an environment you want. Ultimately, if you prefer Tufts, the difference in cost should not prevent you from going there.

CyberMc said:
Sorry for doing yet another one of these, but I really want to know people's opinions- with and without money as a factor. The match lists look very similar, and the only difference I can see is location and money.

Anything you have to say?

School: USNews'05 - '04 Gourman'96 GPA MCAT Tuition Res. Director

Tufts University 40 44 23 3.52 10.03 $38,375 3.4

SUNY (Stony Brook) 56 54 30 3.55 10.33 $19,000 2.9

I'd choose Suny. That's a huge cost difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your salary won't be affected either way. Do well at either place and you'll get whatever residency you want. Make this a lifestyle call.

Thanks, these are fresh views- anybody else gotten any more?!

I've got to go with Stony. As much as you say price isn't a factor, for me it was. I had a similar decision between dental schools. What a lot of people don't realize is that its not just the extra (18k x 4), but also the interest that is compounding over the years until the principle of the loan is paid off. Plus the extra living cost in Beantown. Thats a lot of extra BEANS $$$$$. It is a great city though, so if the cost is worth it....do it.

I guess money is the big factor, but I think that Tufts matches better than stonybrook, (look at both schools 2004 lists) Do you think that Tufts would give a more worthwhile education than the SUNY?

How much trouble will the loans be to pay off?

This is a really tough one. For what it's worth, neither of my Tufts interviewers really thought that it was worth the money. I ended up withdrawing from both schools because I got into some of my higher choices, but I think I would have chosen Stony Brook, based on cost and proximity to NYC.

I would definitely pick a state school over Tufts.