Tufts vs. Temple vs. Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy Duck

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Made a similar thread without Einstein, but couldn't figure out how to change the title to add it so I'm making another one.

Interested in working in public health as well as clinical medicine (so probably want to get an MD/MPH) and working in an urban environment, likely as an ED physician.

Einstein
Pros:
  • Cheapest tuition of the three for me (~20K less than Temple with scholarship over four years)
  • Highest ranked of three
  • Monefiore is good clinical site with a diverse patient population
  • Close to home
  • Like the idea of the community that comes from most students living in the on campus apartments
  • Looks like a really good match list since I want to end up in NYC for residency.
Cons:
  • MD/MPH is not a dual degree offered. Is possible, but would be hard to do both.
  • Not really a great location (compared to living in Philly or Boston)
  • Not really any elective time in third year clinicals
  • Didn't have the best vibes on interview day, but wasn't anything that I specifically disliked

Temple
Pros:
  • Cheaper tuition at full cost
  • 100K scholarship over the four years
  • Philadelphia is good distance from where the rest of my family is
  • Have a lot of good research opportunities for things like health disparities/health policy (although it is within the department of Urban Bioethics, so not sure if I could be involved if I'm not getting that degree).
Cons:
  • Step-out year for the MPH is after second year (a lot of schools do it after third, which seems to make more sense)
  • Unsure about the reputation of Temple or quality of clinical sites
Tufts
Pros:
  • MD/MPH program is still only four years, so no extra time needed.
  • Slightly higher ranking/better reputation than Temple
Cons:
  • Super expensive (by far most expensive of the three; haven't gotten financial aid yet, but not super hopeful)
  • A little far from my family
  • Unsure of the public health research opportunities (website says page can't be found)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to do public health, Einstein/Monte and their big community presence is your best option.