This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phishvet

Tufts V'23
Reaction score
I am currently planning to pursue aquatic med. UF was always my top choice and when I was waitlisted I did a lot of research into the schools that accepted me and Tufts became the clear choice. I already have long-standing relationships with the New England Aquarium and the Mystic Aquarium and Tufts' program would allow me to spend a couple dozen hours at one or both institutions each semester. I would be returning to familiar weather (for better or for worse, those in MA know what I mean) and near a small support system of family and friends who still live in MA.

However, UF accepted me off of the waitlist earlier this week. Now I'm extremely torn. Everyone hears about the Aquatic Health Cert. at UF and assumes that it must be the best fit for me. Perhaps it still is, however the aspects that give me pause include: I don't plan to settle in FL or the SE United States (in addition to my concerns about networking applicability, many of the courses are focused on tropical species which may not be the most relevant to my future career goals), I don't want to lose the quality of my New England connections (I plan to settle in New England or the Pacific Northwest; though don't get me wrong I plan on pursuing externships in those locations), Gainesville may be better than North Grafton but having Boston and Northampton nearby Tufts are nice, and though I'm extremely independent (moved all the way across the country without knowing a soul and I'm doing fine!) I'm not sure how I'll fare in a state so different from what I'm used to (coming from living in two of the most blue states in the country).

I have heard from those at Tufts that they have much more flexibility in their curriculum (translating into more credits and time for externships) which makes them the best choice.

I have heard form those at UF that the combination of the aquatic health cert. and networking opportunities is unbeatable (and that aquatic med is such a small community that location doesn't make that big of a difference).

I also have no idea where I stand on the whole tracking vs non-tracking difference, as I've heard many arguments in favor of each.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am currently planning to pursue aquatic med. UF was always my top choice and when I was waitlisted I did a lot of research into the schools that accepted me and Tufts became the clear choice. I already have long-standing relationships with the New England Aquarium and the Mystic Aquarium and Tufts' program would allow me to spend a couple dozen hours at one or both institutions each semester. I would be returning to familiar weather (for better or for worse, those in MA know what I mean) and near a small support system of family and friends who still live in MA.

However, UF accepted me off of the waitlist earlier this week. Now I'm extremely torn. Everyone hears about the Aquatic Health Cert. at UF and assumes that it must be the best fit for me. Perhaps it still is, however the aspects that give me pause include: I don't plan to settle in FL or the SW United States (in addition to my concerns about networking applicability, many of the courses are focused on tropical species which may not be the most relevant to my future career goals), I don't want to lose the quality of my New England connections (I plan to settle in New England or the Pacific Northwest; though don't get me wrong I plan on pursuing externships in those locations), Gainesville may be better than North Grafton but having Boston and Northampton nearby Tufts are nice, and though I'm extremely independent (moved all the way across the country without knowing a soul and I'm doing fine!) I'm not sure how I'll fare in a state so different from what I'm used to (coming from living in two of the most blue states in the country).

I have heard from those at Tufts that they have much more flexibility in their curriculum (translating into more credits and time for externships) which makes them the best choice.

I have heard form those at UF that the combination of the aquatic health cert. and networking opportunities is unbeatable (and that aquatic med is such a small community that location doesn't make that big of a difference).

I also have no idea where I stand on the whole tracking vs non-tracking difference, as I've heard many arguments in favor of each.

Well, above all else I always recommend considering cost which it looks like UF is by far way cheaper. For your concerns about settling-you don't have to settle where you go to school or anywhere near it. I'm 1300 miles from home. I don't plan to stay in the state I'm currently in long term by any means. Eventually I am going to move back closer to my parents for their older years and probably when me and my SO have kids because I want them to be able to be a part of each other's lives regularly. For networking it's all in the effort you put in. I'm in WA state I have connections clear in NY veterinary wise. For the application wise it'll all be applicable at some level and there are always tons of opportunities in and outside of school to pursue your goals you'll be fine in that regard no matter where you go. Keeping up your connections is all on you-in VBMA they talk so much about networking and connections etc. I still keep my connections because you never know who you might need or what opportunities might present themselves because of your connections. Making the connections you can do all on your own regardless of location-you'll be suprised what a small community vet med is once you get in school. You claim great independence and if you really believe that you'll be fine no matter where you move. I've been lots of places in and outside the US its all the same-treat people with kindness and respect and you'll be fine. Moving to a red or blue state shouldn't influence you the difference in tuition between the two. It's all temporary even if you hate it it's only 4 years and you're out of there-go in with an open mind and you might even like it. You'll get a great education no matter where you go each school will have its down falls while Tufts may have more flexibility in one area I guarantee you they lack in another so I would refrain from that swaying your decision much at all. Tracking vs nontracking all have its positives and negatives so I wouldn't worry about that aspect. Take a leap of faith, go in with an open mind, your future self will thank you for going to the cheaper school.

Reactions: 1 users

However, UF accepted me off of the waitlist earlier this week. Now I'm extremely torn. Everyone hears about the Aquatic Health Cert. at UF and assumes that it must be the best fit for me. Perhaps it still is, however the aspects that give me pause include: I don't plan to settle in FL or the SW United States (in addition to my concerns about networking applicability, many of the courses are focused on tropical species which may not be the most relevant to my future career goals), I don't want to lose the quality of my New England connections (I plan to settle in New England or the Pacific Northwest; though don't get me wrong I plan on pursuing externships in those locations), Gainesville may be better than North Grafton but having Boston and Northampton nearby Tufts are nice, and though I'm extremely independent (moved all the way across the country without knowing a soul and I'm doing fine!) I'm not sure how I'll fare in a state so different from what I'm used to (coming from living in two of the most blue states in the country).

If the program at UF is more suited toward your goals, the aquatic med community is that small, and the cost is lower, go to UF. It really makes sense to. Like MixedAnimal said, you absolutely don’t need to settle down where you went to school. Take a look at where doctors went to school if you look up vet hospitals. I know near me (NJ), many went to Penn (maybe 30-40%), some to Cornell, some to Ohio State, some to Ross, some to UGA, etc. Most vets in a lot of areas will have gone to a local vet school. But I’d say depending on how close the school is to where you’re living, that number gets up to maybe half? No more than that. The majority of vets in a lot of cases will have gone to a school not in the area where they’re practicing. It’s nice to have connections from the school you went to, but it sounds like UF will do that since the field you’re going into is much smaller and tight-knit than huge fields like SA or LA.

Edit: oops! Was looking at the wrong name from a different thread!

Last edited:
I'd also add that Gainesville itself is fairly liberal, even though Florida itself may not be. Sure, if you travel thirty minutes in any direction, you'll be in some very conservative rural areas, but Gainesville as a college town is a pretty safe haven for liberals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how I'll fare in a state so different from what I'm used to (coming from living in two of the most blue states in the country).
I can't speak to the rest of this but I can talk about this. I am from one of the most liberal areas in the country. I went to undergrad in a very red state (most of the way across the country). My college campus was in an extremely left little bubble, but the surrounding community was very conservative. I had reservations about it, of course. But I also experienced a lot of things there that made me understand that a lot of the country isn't in an insular liberal bubble that most coastal cities are. After undergrad, I moved back to my home state for vet school and am very appreciative for the progressive legislation we have. But undergrad did open my eyes to things that I wouldn't have experienced if I had continued living in the same place forever. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Same as Ziggy, I went to undergrad in a very rural conservative area, but with a lot of liberal components due to the college town/exposure. I'm from CO and live in IL, both relatively to intensely blue states. I appreciate having lived in the rural community cause I have a pretty healthily balanced friend group that spans a lot of political and ideological perspectives. It gives me a deeper perspective on why different groups feel on different topics (way deeper than any news channel conveys to be sure). It was a experience that I think made me a better person overall, and it showed me that there is a lot more to people than the color of their state.

I, personally, would live in my undergrad town for the rest of my life, and would have no problem living in the state as a whole.