Tufts vs UMass vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morgred

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm looking to stay in Mass. due to strong family ties and these are the programs that I interviewed at. Location aside, they each had something different to offer that the others lacked
Tufts = Strong pedi and Transplant at Lahey,
UMass= Trauma and all rotations in the same system,
BU= private practice environment with huge exposure and again, lots of trauma)

So what do you guys think? I'm looking to be a good clinician and also be able to get a really good fellowship ( I do realize that I have to work towards my goals any where I go but still...)

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

According to the Match Data, UMass only filled 1/8 of it's anesthesiology positions in last year, and 2/8 in the two years previous to that.
I did not apply there so I have no other input, but I see this as a possible red flag.

Wow!! do you know of a source where I can get such valuable info? I don't think the annual NRMP match statistics offer individual program stats.

According to the Match Data, UMass only filled 1/8 of it's anesthesiology positions in last year, and 2/8 in the two years previous to that.
I did not apply there so I have no other input, but I see this as a possible red flag.
Do you mean only filled 2/8 positions with US MDs or overall in the match only had 2/8 positions filled?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
UMass usually has a problem filling, at least in the year I applied and afterwards. The residents seemed nice, they seemed like they received decent training, but the program had an overall malignant feel. I had a lot of cynical interviewers and they asked very inappropriate questions (the kind you're not legally supposed to ask). I can see why they go unmatched year after year if that's how they interview everybody. I didn't rank them. I didn't interview at the other two programs.

The chair is also leaving (or already has), if you are referring to the Worcester program.

They have also lost recently their chair, if you are referring to the Worcester program.

Maybe that's a good thing. If it's the same chair that was there in the 2010-2011 interview season, he's the one that asked the most inappropriate questions.

Maybe that's a good thing. If it's the same chair that was there in the 2010-2011 interview season, he's the one that asked the most inappropriate questions.
At Worcester? I'm surprised. Seemed like a very nice guy (in a different context).

Yep, it's the same guy:
Stephen Heard, M.D. was appointed interim chair in 2002 and was named permanent chair in November, 2003.

Last edited by a moderator:
At Worcester? I'm surprised. Seemed like a very nice guy (in a different context).

Yep, it's the same guy:

Yeah that was him. He wasn't mean, but he asked some inappropriate questions. Other interviewers were just plain rude which was abnormal compared to the rest of my anesthesia interviews.

didn't interview at BU. Interviewed at the other two.

I was caught off guard when I saw that UMass match data too. Like, WTF didn't I notice on interview day?
Thought the outgoing chair was a very nice guy but I did feel a couple questions were a bit "out of bounds." Didn't get that malignant feel from the other interviewers at all. :shrug:
Incoming chair seemed really really nice.
Seems like the residents get lots of responsibility fast which seemed cool to me.
Overall, I liked it.

I really liked my Tufts interview. Residents especially seemed very happy. Probably the biggest negative is four (?) rotations are done at other hospitals which are (for the most part) close by but still. And apparently the cardiothoracic surgeons are horrible, horrible human beings. Also, 3 year programs are a pain in the ass for married people.

Biggest differences I see between umass and tufts is worcester vs boston and 3 year vs 4 year.

I have no clue if this helped....I feel like it didn't.

I would hate to be anywhere near Boston tonight.

The chair is also leaving (or already has), if you are referring to the Worcester program.

isn't that the case with almost 30% of programs across the country?

I too didn't get any of the wierd or rude interviews...I wonder what I missed, but I'm definitely concerned!!

isn't that the case with almost 30% of programs across the country?
I would expect most department chairs to stay for at least a decade. So I would expect the number to be less than 10%.

Surprised about the comments re: UMass Chair during interview, didn't get that vibe at all during my interview.

FWIW, I was told last year during interviews from residents the recent match data at UMass was more due to not interviewing/ranking enough folks when competing with the rest of the strong NE programs. Odd that it would happen repeatedly, though.

Nonetheless, I did like UMass > Tufts but didn't interview at BU.

interviewed at tufts: i liked the program and location but didn't rank it highly bc i wanted a categorical program and i didn't like that they sent residents to rhode island for rotations (wtf?). i received interview invites to UMASS and BU as well but canceled them largely because of reviews i read on here.

As a current UMass resident, I suggest you not place too much emphasis on the data surrounding the match. As a med student, I spent way too much time looking into this info as if it could tell me which program was the best. The truth is the ranking at UMass in previous years was due to the fact that they interviewed a small number of candidates and ranked even less. They preferred to find people from the SOAP who were a better fit than rank a marginal candidate. This approach skews the data and makes applicants hesitant to rank the program, which then becomes self-fulfilling each year.

I will say UMass is a great program and not malignant at all. You will be challenged at UMass with complex patients and difficult procedures, as in any academic setting. We are a busy Level I trauma and transplant center. However, there will always be faculty available to assist you. You will graduate with the clinical skills to go anywhere.

When you make your rank list, choose what's important to you--academics, location, opportunities for fellowship, etc. Just be cautious using NRMP data when choosing programs. Some programs may appear to look great by the numbers, but in truth are less than ideal. If you like UMass based on your interview and what you learned about the program, then don't hesitate to rank it.

As a current UMass resident, I suggest you not place too much emphasis on the data surrounding the match. As a med student, I spent way too much time looking into this info as if it could tell me which program was the best. The truth is the ranking at UMass in previous years was due to the fact that they interviewed a small number of candidates and ranked even less. They preferred to find people from the SOAP who were a better fit than rank a marginal candidate. This approach skews the data and makes applicants hesitant to rank the program, which then becomes self-fulfilling each year.

I will say UMass is a great program and not malignant at all. You will be challenged at UMass with complex patients and difficult procedures, as in any academic setting. We are a busy Level I trauma and transplant center. However, there will always be faculty available to assist you. You will graduate with the clinical skills to go anywhere.

When you make your rank list, choose what's important to you--academics, location, opportunities for fellowship, etc. Just be cautious using NRMP data when choosing programs. Some programs may appear to look great by the numbers, but in truth are less than ideal. If you like UMass based on your interview and what you learned about the program, then don't hesitate to rank it.

I appreciate your input and I've already made up my mind to give a high priority to my personal impression of each program, and UMass definitely left such a good impression that I was very surprised by the match data!

Thx!

sorry to bump an old post, any updates on the UMass program. What are the hours like? How is the new PD?