Tufts vs UNC Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

boogieboon

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UNC
Pros
  • Higher Ranking (Admit.org & US News & PD ranking)
  • More National Recognition (?)
  • Merit Scholarship
  • Good Weather
  • P/F pre-clinical
  • Good vibes visiting accepted students day

Cons
  • Far from home
  • Strict attendance policy (?)
  • OOS
Tufts
Pros
  • I live in Boston (close to family/support system)
  • Decent match list
  • P/F pre-clinical
Cons
  • More expensive
  • Lower ranked
  • Did not get to attend accepted students day
  • Could be "overshadowed" by Harvard/BU

Summary: Is UNC out of Tufts' league and I am just blind to a clear answer? I am fortunate enough that cost does not really matter. Looking at the match list from previous years, I might think that Tufts has a stronger list in surgical specialties (and anesthesia).

P.S. Is UNC's rank "inflated"? I've seen that their massive amount of NIH funding could be the cause?
 
Last edited:
they are both good schools. Honestly I feel like it comes down to price. Having a low student debt burden when you graduate is really good. I would generally go with UNC in this case, unless you think that you really need your family/support in boston