Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Tufts vs UOP

Discussion in 'Dental' started by amalgam11, Dec 6, 2005.

1. amalgam11

amalgam11 Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    I've been accepted to these schools and am having a tough time deciding which to attend. With any luck I'll be getting the army scholarship so the cost shouldn't be to much of a factor.
    When I visited these schools I was definitely impressed with both of them but I have read on these forums that Tufts students tend to be more stressed/ unhappy while the environment at UOP is much more pleasant (and its over in 3 years), but your chances of specializing might be lower. I didn't really get that vibe while at Tufts but perhaps I missed something. I think Tufts had a bit nicer clinic and sim lab.
    I would like to hear from Tufts and UOP dental students about what you think the pros and cons of your school are if you have a moment. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BigRedDentist

BigRedDentist Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was really impressed with Tufts during my interview and it is in a really beautiful city. Tufts all the way.

4. mikhiel

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I can't really comment on UoP since I've never seen it, but it's also in a very beautiful city.

Tufts has definitely been hard work this year, but it's also definitely a very good school that puts out great dentists. There's a huge workload, but that's just expected.

5. diagnodent

diagnodent Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    UOP, not even a question.

3 years instead of 4
    Ranked first in the amount of clinical hours per student.
    Dorfman, dickerson, hornbrook, buchannan, boyd, Dugoni--nuff said

6. joyride

joyride Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist

I dont know about UOP, but from my time at tufts so far as a 2nd year student, I feel like they really load us up on clinical medicine. I'm talking about medicine way out of the realm of dentistry. You may never encounter debilitated or immunocompromised patients outside of school, but I guess its nice to have the information. I'm not in the clinic yet, so I cant say much about it, but the preclinical experience has been as pleasant as can be.

7. DIRTIE

DIRTIE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think the last poster should have answered your question for you. Do you want to be in the clinic in your later half of your first year like at Uop, also I might add UNLV and others, or wait until your third year or near abouts. Answer was easy for me

8. Rezdawg

Rezdawg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    How's Dr. Zoller doing over there?

9. DIRTIE

DIRTIE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

Everybody loves him here. Sorry you guys lost him, he is one passionate teacher, I have actually been studying for his H/N final, not easy, great teacher.

10. adamlc18

adamlc18 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you are doing military, UOP hands down. You only have to pay back 3 years instead of 4.