Tufts vs UPenn vs UGA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kshann

Reaction score
Hi! I am really struggling trying to decide where to attend. I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to Tufts, UPenn, and UGA. I am OOS for all three (I have no in-state) but am from New England so it is tempting to just stay close to home. Does anyone have any experience with UPenn or UGA in particular? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, so many choices! I’m struggling with where to attend as well, but I’m ultimately going to pick what is closest to my family. Vet school is really hard and I want to be near my support system. Since you’re from New England, I’d probably go with Penn or tufts. I’ve heard wonderful things about Penn (I know people there) I don’t know much about UGA but I do know it’s pretty far from an airport

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi kshann! So funny, I had already drafted up my post for these schools! I will still post my question separately, but I'll outline here some of the things I think are important:
Depending on your circumstances, cost is a big factor, and UGA tuition and cost of living is much cheaper than the other two.
Your areas of interest should also factor in. It seems like Tufts is where you go if you want wildlife, UPenn for research, but it seems neither have the best food animal offerings, so perhaps UGA if you're into something like that?
Also whether you like living in a large city, and whether you want to be able to interact with people outside the veterinary school. I'm personally leaning away from Tufts because I am very interested in the arts, and I'm not sure if I will be able to find a choir Grafton.
I'm sure you've been considering some of these factors already, and I'm sorry if I did not help much as I'm in a similar boat to you and also looking for answers. Good luck to you though, and I look forward to seeing what insights people have about these options!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi kshann! So funny, I had already drafted up my post for these schools! I will still post my question separately, but I'll outline here some of the things I think are important:
Depending on your circumstances, cost is a big factor, and UGA tuition and cost of living is much cheaper than the other two.
Your areas of interest should also factor in. It seems like Tufts is where you go if you want wildlife, UPenn for research, but it seems neither have the best food animal offerings, so perhaps UGA if you're into something like that?
Also whether you like living in a large city, and whether you want to be able to interact with people outside the veterinary school. I'm personally leaning away from Tufts because I am very interested in the arts, and I'm not sure if I will be able to find a choir Grafton.
I'm sure you've been considering some of these factors already, and I'm sorry if I did not help much as I'm in a similar boat to you and also looking for answers. Good luck to you though, and I look forward to seeing what insights people have about these options!
Hi! Congrats on your acceptances :) I am interested in small animal, so luckily all three will have a program that aligns with my veterinary interests. I am certainly interested in UGA for the cheap tuition/COL, but it is really far from my support system and would be a huge adjustment for me. I have been to Tufts many times so I have a good feel for the area and offerings there; it almost definitely won't have a choir and Worcester is not the safest area, so you'd likely have to do to the greater Boston area for that. UGA and UPenn have their accepted student's days on the same day which isn't making this decision any easier!

Thank you for the helpful link @Mythical , I’ll be sure to look into that! @kshann it’s definitely tough that PennVet and UGA are on the same day, although UGA does have the open house in April. I’m starting to reach out to students on the UGA Facebook page to get a sense of the community and why they chose UGA, in case I am unable to visit. I’m sure you could find other OOS students on the Facebook who made that transition moving away from their support systems And of course congrats on your acceptances and good luck with the decision making process! They’re all great schools and I’m sure you will become an amazing vet wherever you choose to go!