Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wednesday

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Anyone heard anything about Tufts? My friend was up there this weekend and LOVED it but neither of us has heard anything about the program outside of what they tell you on interview day. Any dirt out there? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wednesday said:
Hi guys!

Anyone heard anything about Tufts? My friend was up there this weekend and LOVED it but neither of us has heard anything about the program outside of what they tell you on interview day. Any dirt out there? Thanks!

Hey there, Tufts is my home institution so I have done a couple of rotations there. I can honestly say that the program is great...they are making a few changes to the residency curriculum this year that are going to make it even better. It really depends if you want to be in Boston or not I think...you do travel to several affiliate hospitals during training, which some people don't like. You are Q4 almost the whole training. Housing is outrageous. It is cold. But, the residents get along SO well and are super nice people. The attendings are almost all people I would feel comfortable talking to. The only dirt I can think of is that no one seems to like going to St. Elizabeth's for rotations because some of the physicians are in the dark ages, but you aren't there for THAT long and you do get some good surgical exposure.

Thanks, I really appreciate the info. My friend voiced all of those drawbacks (the cold, the expense, the q4) but also really loved it. There seem to be so many great programs out there, which is good, but makes this ranking thing that much harder! Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope someone can shed some light on this. Why is it that the female attendings seem to automatically throw the male students(3rd and 4th years) out of many cases, siting the "patient" is uncomfortable. It makes learning difficult when we don't get to see everything we should.

are you saying this only happens at Tufts (above poster), or did you mean to post in another thread? If female attendings continue to do this, and continue to fail to ask the patient for your permission to attend a procedure, you should definitely talk to the course director. At Tufts, I can assure you that the course director is VERY sympathetic to male students, and you should have no trouble; in fact, he invites male students only to his MFM clinic b/c he knows they tend to get shortchanged otherwise. Probably the mofo's only good (or somewhat good) quality, and no, I don't care about his personal life or job, I just hate liars who insist on blaming other races/genders/religions for . I went to Tufts and had a horrible experience at NEMC Ob/Gyn as an MS-3, but I ended up going into IM at a different institution where I am much happier, so to each his own. There are, however, a number of very bright residents and attendings in the program, and you will no doubt learn a great deal. I think many of the more malignant residents who were there when I was there have graduated, so maybe it is better.

Have you gone on the Tufts interview yet?

This is not a very helpful post, I realize, but I just wanted to put in a plug for Boston. I do love this city. And there is always of course lots of great dim sum near Tufts :)

Also, I think the expense issue is a concern, but is not prohibitive. I worked for several years before med school and was fine on a salary less than what we'll get as PGY-1s. Boston (including Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale whatever) always has places you can find to fit your budget and other needs. Like any of the great cities in the US, there are the pluses and minuses -- but I think Boston deserves a good look.

irlandesa said:
are you saying this only happens at Tufts (above poster), or did you mean to post in another thread? If female attendings continue to do this, and continue to fail to ask the patient for your permission to attend a procedure, you should definitely talk to the course director. At Tufts, I can assure you that the course director is VERY sympathetic to male students, and you should have no trouble; in fact, he invites male students only to his MFM clinic b/c he knows they tend to get shortchanged otherwise. Probably the mofo's only good (or somewhat good) quality, and no, I don't care about his personal life or job, I just hate liars who insist on blaming other races/genders/religions for . I went to Tufts and had a horrible experience at NEMC Ob/Gyn as an MS-3, but I ended up going into IM at a different institution where I am much happier, so to each his own. There are, however, a number of very bright residents and attendings in the program, and you will no doubt learn a great deal. I think many of the more malignant residents who were there when I was there have graduated, so maybe it is better.

ohhhhhhhhh yikes. you just did remind me that though i have heard good things about the program in general, i have heard BAD things about the program directory. ouch.

obgyn06 said:
ohhhhhhhhh yikes. you just did remind me that though i have heard good things about the program in general, i have heard BAD things about the program directory. ouch.

that should read program DIRECTOR

I probably should not have posted here-My comments were not just referring to Tufts

obgyn06 said:
that should read program DIRECTOR

Do you mean the program director at TUFTS? Both Dr. Chelmow and Dr. Noller (the department chief) are very good...none of the residents seem to have problems with either of them. The director is a little gruff I suppose, but he isn't disliked. He just isn't going to be your shopping buddy or someone you invite to your house for a football game. ;)

yes, i heard the PD at tufts is an azz.

I just interviewed at Tufts and overall was very impressed. The day ran very smoothly with 4 main interviews (one from a resident and the rest from faculty) and then a 10 min interview with either the program director or the chair. Everyone seemed very happy and promoted the program. I actually thought the program director seemed very nice and went out of his way to introduce himself to candidates he did not interview. The residency coordinator, Starla, was also awesome. The day concluded with lunch. All in all I was very very happy when the day concluded and could definitely see myself there. I also have a friend at Tufts Med School who has had first hand experience with the program and also had nothing but good things to say.

Hope it helps...good luck..

gynsurgeon said:
I just interviewed at Tufts and overall was very impressed. The day ran very smoothly with 4 main interviews (one from a resident and the rest from faculty) and then a 10 min interview with either the program director or the chair. Everyone seemed very happy and promoted the program. I actually thought the program director seemed very nice and went out of his way to introduce himself to candidates he did not interview. The residency coordinator, Starla, was also awesome. The day concluded with lunch. All in all I was very very happy when the day concluded and could definitely see myself there. I also have a friend at Tufts Med School who has had first hand experience with the program and also had nothing but good things to say.

Hope it helps...good luck..

good info, thanks! :)