Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DUBS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has asked this already, but about how many people has Tufts already interviewed and accepted? I just got an interview invite and was wondering what my chances of being accepted would be if I schedule an interview in mid-January? What is the approximate percentage of acceptances of people who get interviewed here? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

DUBS said:
I don't know if anyone has asked this already, but about how many people has Tufts already interviewed and accepted? I just got an interview invite and was wondering what my chances of being accepted would be if I schedule an interview in mid-January? What is the approximate percentage of acceptances of people who get interviewed here? Thanks a lot.

i just got an interview invite today...the admissions officer told me that they just started interviewing and their process barely started. So i would say we have a great shot during the interview days they gave us.

asd said:
i just got an interview invite today...the admissions officer told me that they just started interviewing and their process barely started. So i would say we have a great shot during the interview days they gave us.

hi, did you schedule your interview today, or do we have to wait until monday for that? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
DUBS said:
hi, did you schedule your interview today, or do we have to wait until monday for that? thanks.

I live in the west coast so it was too late for me - Monday it is.

sunnymeliss said:
I live in the west coast so it was too late for me - Monday it is.

how did they contact you- email/snail/aadsas? my aadsas says nothing from them and they dont tell you anything on phone or email. im convinced the school doesn't exist.

and on that note, anyone interested in starting a fake dental school, getting kids hopes up, having them send us $70 each and then just wait until April to deny them? PM me.

-IP

im going to schedule it on monday.

asd said:

Congrats on the interview! I'm sure you'll rock it :) Did you hear from UPenn or Pitt yet?

alfie5884 said:
Congrats on the interview! I'm sure you'll rock it :) Did you hear from UPenn or Pitt yet?

no!!!! I hope i do soon tho -- for Upenn.

asd said:

Add me to the list. :clap:

congratz and good luck you guys...

when I interviewed, they said they accept the majority of their interviewees... I forgot the percentage but I think it was something like 60-70%? So if you got an interview, you have a good chance of getting in!

I also got an interview, but I'm really thinking about if I should go or not. Most likely, I'll call them tomorrow and cancel (I think), so somebody else might get my spot for the interview in mid jan.

How did they contact you??? THANKS

-K

Members don't see this ad :)
irishpint said:
how did they contact you- email/snail/aadsas? my aadsas says nothing from them and they dont tell you anything on phone or email. im convinced the school doesn't exist.

and on that note, anyone interested in starting a fake dental school, getting kids hopes up, having them send us $70 each and then just wait until April to deny them? PM me.

-IP

I just got an interview invite today too. It was by email, they said that a packet would arrive soon by mail. My aadsas thing stills says that my application is under review.

I have heard that they only sent out half of their acceptances for their class. When I interviewed they said that 75% of the people that interview get in, 15% waitlist, 10% rejected or something like that. So I think interviewing this late you will be fine. Good luck!

DentistBunaHay said:
I also got an interview, but I'm really thinking about if I should go or not. Most likely, I'll call them tomorrow and cancel (I think), so somebody else might get my spot for the interview in mid jan.

when you call to cancel your interview, just let them know that you are going to give your interview to me....I haven't been offered one but i'm willing to make an extra trip to boston...

DentistBunaHay said:

I don't know if I should go to the interview too. It will cost a lot of $$$$ (hotels and airplane ticket) just to make the trip and their tuition and living expense are so expensive!!!!!!!

donkeywhisperer said:
I just got an interview invite today too. It was by email, they said that a packet would arrive soon by mail. My aadsas thing stills says that my application is under review.

my aadsas says NOTHING. is this a problem? its like that for a lot of the schools. i dont get it.

irishpint said:
my aadsas says NOTHING. is this a problem? its like that for a lot of the schools. i dont get it.

Yeah I know man, me too. I've been rejected by Minnesota but aadsas says that my application is still in review. None of the schools I have interviews at say anything accept for tufts with the under review message. I wouldn't worry about it, it seems like the schools put updating aadsas at the bottom of their list of priorities. I still check mine everyday just in case though. I swear some times when I sit down at my computer I'm like on auto pilot and I login with out noticing what I'm doing.

I am struggling with the tufts interview too. By the time I hear from tufts as to whether or not I get in... I will have already put in a $1000 deposit somewhere else. Somewhere else that I know I will be really happy at. hmph.

TimR said:
I am struggling with the tufts interview too. By the time I hear from tufts as to whether or not I get in... I will have already put in a $1000 deposit somewhere else. Somewhere else that I know I will be really happy at. hmph.

If you already have been accepted somewhere else that you know you will be happy at, don't attend the Tufts interview.

I was kind of in a similar situation where Tufts was the last interview that I had scheduled. I wasn't sure if I should attend the interview, being that I didn't want to spend additional money (cost of travel/hotel) and time... I already had interviewed at multiple schools. But I decided to go anyway since I had no acceptance at the time (it was before 12/1). I'm glad I went because I was very positively impressed with the school. Think of it this way, if you don't really care to go even if you get in, don't bother with the interview. But if you still have the slightest interest, even after some acceptances (those of you who have been accepted somewhere) then go! And if you don't have acceptances yet, of course you should go~

I got am email from Tufts yesterday inviting me for an interview. They gave me a few days in January to choose from. I am calling them on Monday to schedule it!

Very exciting.

E. coli said:
I don't know if I should go to the interview too. It will cost a lot of $$$$ (hotels and airplane ticket) just to make the trip and their tuition and living expense are so expensive!!!!!!!

possibly the truest statement ive seen on SDN today....

TimR said:

If you are happy enough with a school to put in a $1000 deposit, then you should just go to that school and not consider anymore interview!

is it true that Tufts has one of the best clinical programs in the country?

someone might have better info than I do. But, from what I understand, they don't get into the clinic much till the 3rd year. Apparently, the 2nd year there is the hardest.

I am sorry if I am bringing this topic up again, but I was really curious.
I just received the interview invitation package from Tufts and they put a note saying that all the prereqs. must have been taken from a 4 year college. Unfortunately, I've taken one course from a community college and wasn't sure what to do. Should I still go to the interview and take that one course in the spring? Does anyone know if they will make the decision before I complete the coursework or after?
:idea:

honeywell,

Everything I've heard is that Tufts is very strict with their pre-req 4-year college requirement. But before interviewing you may want to call the school. Maybe they'll let you retake one course before matriculating?

Mack

honeywell said:
I just received the interview invitation package from Tufts and they put a note saying that all the prereqs. must have been taken from a 4 year college. Unfortunately, I've taken one course from a community college and wasn't sure what to do. Should I still go to the interview and take that one course in the spring? Does anyone know if they will make the decision before I complete the coursework or after?

do prereq classes include english? since one of the requirements of dental school is to take a year of english, i took one semester at a community college. does this mean that i have to take english again at my 4-yr university? thanks

they have a good clinical program but so do many of the schools in the good old US. My only problem with Tufts is that you have 150+ students fighting over not that many chairs. Seems like they are running a business rather putting their students above some of the business aspects. Not a school that I would put on the top of the list for myself.

Jason

Dubs,

You should be okay. The letter I got says that only 2 semesters or 8 credits of Biology, 2 semesters or 8 credits of Chemistry, 2 semesters or 8 credits of physics, 1 semester or 4 credits of Organic Chemistry, 1 term or 3 credits of Biochemistry are needed to be finished at a 4 year college or University. They didn't mention english so you should be okay.

Utes

irishpint said:

-IP

Hello irishpint, what state are u a resident of? I interveiwed at MN (late nov) and I still havent heard anything.

thanks

I had a few general questions about Tufts. How are the board scores, the percentage of students who specialize/research/teach/general after graduation, the cost of living (apt, food, water, transportation, etc.)? Also, do you guys feel as if you are able to receive enough attention from the faculty and feel welcome at the school (i ask since Tufts has a relatively large class size of 150)? Do 3rd and 4th year students have trouble getting chairs, and how is the patient pool? Finally, would you HONESTLY recommend Tufts over BU, and why (if u don't have info. about BU forget this question)? I know I asked a lot, but I wanted to clear things up. Any responses would be really appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

DUBS said:
I had a few general questions about Tufts. How are the board scores, the percentage of students who specialize/research/teach/general after graduation, the cost of living (apt, food, water, transportation, etc.)? Also, do you guys feel as if you are able to receive enough attention from the faculty and feel welcome at the school (i ask since Tufts has a relatively large class size of 150)? Do 3rd and 4th year students have trouble getting chairs, and how is the patient pool? Finally, would you HONESTLY recommend Tufts over BU, and why (if u don't have info. about BU forget this question)? I know I asked a lot, but I wanted to clear things up. Any responses would be really appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Tufts usually scores very high on the boards, with an average in the top 10 in the nation. Some years are off, but for the most part, high board scores is what tufts is known for. Only 25% of the graduating class goes on to specialize, but when you have a class of 150 people, thats more students than most schools in the nation. With a class size of 150, you would imagine its hard getting the attention, but in preclin, there are so many TAs around, its impossible to not get enough attention. The only time you have problems getting a chair is in april and may when the seniors are trying to finish up their points, so you have 3 classes in 1 clinic, it can be tight. The reason why I picked tufts over BU is: a. tufts has higher board scores and they'll prepare you better. b. they dont start using handpieces until 2nd year, so i didnt like that, and c. the facilities arent as nice.....tufts recently put in a simulation clinic with the same kind of lights you would have in the clinic along with water in the high speed. Hope this helps.

joyride, i really appreciate the reply..it helps a lot. I also wanted to clear up one more thing, the interview feedbacks i've read on SDN have implied that Tufts students are always stressed because their exams are always grouped together. Is this true? Finally, I know BU makes students take their boards after the first semester in 2nd year, is this true of Tufts as well? Thanks again.

DUBS said:
joyride, i really appreciate the reply..it helps a lot. I also wanted to clear up one more thing, the interview feedbacks i've read on SDN have implied that Tufts students are always stressed because their exams are always grouped together. Is this true? Finally, I know BU makes students take their boards after the first semester in 2nd year, is this true of Tufts as well? Thanks again.

Its true, I'm in my 2nd year now and we just had a 7 exam block and that was very intense with no sleep and a lot of stress. There are two ways of looking at the long exam block. first, you'll be cramming a week before the exams and do moderately well because its just memorizing information and regurgitating. that really only happens 2nd year, i felt first year was just like college and not much adjustment was necessary. on the other hand, the long exam block has its advantage to the regard that it prepares you for studying for the boards. You'll have a small amount of time (~2-3 weeks) to study for basically all the material you learned first year. By the time boards roll around, everyone is used to studying a chunk of material in a limited time frame.

At tufts, you are only allowed to take the boards before april and after systems pathology ends in the end of january, but only if you get 90 and above in all board classes and score 20+ on the DATs. The schedule is so rough in march and april, the majority of the class takes the boards in may and june.

honeywell said:

For those of you who have recently received an interview invite from Tufts, when were your AADSAS applications submitted and mailed out? I still haven't heard from them and since you can't check your status with Tufts I am getting a bit worried....What if something is missing from my application and they are putting my application on hold???!!! Any comments/advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you!

belle123 said:
For those of you who have recently received an interview invite from Tufts, when were your AADSAS applications submitted and mailed out? I still haven't heard from them and since you can't check your status with Tufts I am getting a bit worried....What if something is missing from my application and they are putting my application on hold???!!! Any comments/advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you!

my application was mailed out end of july

thats the thing i didnt really like about tufts and bu. they are really cutthroat in terms of 1st and 2nd year curriculum. like somebody above me said, it's basically memorizing and regurgitating. there are no leeways around it. plus, at tufts, you basically have to learn everything NOT related to dental, ie. the whole body. now, of course its important to learn these things, but the curriculum makes it that much more intense. at bu, you even have to take board earlier than most schools, so you're pretty much in a grinder your first two years.

joyride said:
The reason why I picked tufts over BU is: ...b. they dont start using handpieces until 2nd year, so i didnt like that

That's not true. We are in operative all next semester.

1st semester, in that regard, is slow though. We did probing on our manikin heads and then had a session in the clinic where we worked on our classmates. Other than that, we've just assisted upper classman in the clinic. Next semester we will have more fun with our instruments.

polarnut said:
so you're pretty much in a grinder your first two years.

You'll be in a grinder almost anywhere you choose to go. The basic sciences and preclinical courses should be completed in 2 years. No matter how the curriculum is set up, you will be working your arse off to get done with all that information in a relatively short period of time. No matter where you go, you will experience some rough times. Thats dental school.

polarnut said:
thats the thing i didnt really like about tufts and bu. they are really cutthroat in terms of 1st and 2nd year curriculum. like somebody above me said, it's basically memorizing and regurgitating. there are no leeways around it. plus, at tufts, you basically have to learn everything NOT related to dental, ie. the whole body. now, of course its important to learn these things, but the curriculum makes it that much more intense. at bu, you even have to take board earlier than most schools, so you're pretty much in a grinder your first two years.

buddy, thats what dental school is, a 4 year grind. dont think that if you go to school somewhere else, you;ll have it easier than other students. dental school is hard work.

if you cant stand the heat, get outta the kitchen.

There's absolutely no reason to hate on BU or Tufts, just because they expect you to learn massive amounts of material in a short period of time. That's the way it should be done. You read from books to prepare yourself and gain knowledge before you can actually start working on real people. Making a fine doctor out of a somebody in 4 years is quite a difficult task for both the faculty and the student, but that's why you pay the big bucks - so that they can cram all this material into your brain in the first 2 years and then have you master it in the last 2 years. I much rather attend a program like this than one of these PBL places. Just my opinion.

Bickle said:
buddy, thats what dental school is, a 4 year grind. dont think that if you go to school somewhere else, you;ll have it easier than other students. dental school is hard work.

if you cant stand the heat, get outta the kitchen.

I agree, dental school is a rough road with a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Going through it is like a rite of passage. I actually enjoy the full medical curriculum because when I see patients, I'll be able to pick up on things that another dentist from another school might not think twice about.

______
TUSDM 2008

wait tufts doesn't make dental students take preclincal sciences with the med students like uconn, etc does right?

KxM99 said:
wait tufts doesn't make dental students take preclincal sciences with the med students like uconn, etc does right?

the medical and dental schools are entirely different. The only thing they have in common is that we share a library with them and many of the courses are taught by the same people.....gross, histo, physio, immuno, infectious disease, etc....for the reason that our boards cover different material than step 1.

Hey my status for tufts changed from blank to Under Review! YESSSS!
Hey, how long do you think I'll have to wait until I get an interview?

I just heard from Tufts by email like a couple of days ago.. they wanted me to reply stating that I will finish my Biochemistry requirement before I graduate in order for them to continue reviewing my application and I'm assuming offer me an interview. However, they sent me another email today asking me to withdraw my application if I have already been accepted to another dental school and/or if I am no longer interested in pursuing their school.

Does anyone know how much of their class has filled up already? and what are the chances of getting in having an interview this late?

Maybe this might help with all the concern about stress levels....(I'm just a pre-dent, but my dad went to Tufts and I've heard a lot about it and got lots of info in the interview). Tufts is unique because they're one of few schools that really wants to get you out there and practicing the day after you graduate. NOTE: This is the reason why many don't specialize or attend GPRs!!! not because they don't place, but because they actually feel ready to go right into practice.

So, in a way, there DOES appear to be some differences in workload; Tufts students are in classes a few hours more than the majority of dental schools, they have a 4-year practice management curriculum (GREAT idea, since many dentists have to run their own practice and have no idea what to do!) and they try to make the program accelerated enough so that you can avoid the GPR. So kudos to Tufts students; I think you guys really are driven more than some other schools, but if you want to be practicing right when you get out, it is worth it!

I got a little nervous when I asked around 5 different students (none of them heard me ask to the others) what they do for fun and to relax, and every single one said "well, we study! There's really no time for that" At the other 4 schools where I asked the same question, the students would tell me about going out on the town, joining clubs, or which semesters let them have more free time than others...just my two cents!