Tuition Inflation 1st year->4th year

Started by koercive
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PER SEMESTER Tuition from year 1 to year 4

$19,819.00
$20,750.00
$21,663.00
$22,465.00

(not including other fees such as health insurance, parking permit, etc.)

13.4% total increase from year 1 to year 4 for my pharmacy school tuition

How much did your guys' tuition go up?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
although my per-semester tuition is a lot (around 22k) the % increase is at my school is always ~3% to account for inflation only
 
PER SEMESTER Tuition from year 1 to year 4

$19,819.00
$20,750.00
$21,663.00
$22,465.00

(not including other fees such as health insurance, parking permit, etc.)

13.4% total increase from year 1 to year 4 for my pharmacy school tuition

How much did your guys' tuition go up?

Let me guess you are a Trojan! When I started, it was $30,000 a year and it increased a thousand per year.


LOL I am a Trojan too. Just realized OP is too as well since it says you're in LA. Dude, 13% increase over 4 yrs is normal. 3%/yr is standard at all schools to account for inflation. Where you don't want to be is the broke @ss schools like UCSD or UCSF where they have tuition hikes of 10-20% PER YEAR
 
LOL I am a Trojan too. Just realized OP is too as well since it says you're in LA. Dude, 13% increase over 4 yrs is normal. 3%/yr is standard at all schools to account for inflation. Where you don't want to be is the broke @ss schools like UCSD or UCSF where they have tuition hikes of 10-20% PER YEAR

I am sure their tuition is still lower than USC! When I see the dean, I gotta ask him how is USC preparing their students better than other pharmacy schools.

I was told that faculty salary increase depends partially on tuition increase. Now you know where your money is going.
 
I am sure their tuition is still lower than USC! When I see the dean, I gotta ask him how is USC preparing their students better than other pharmacy schools.

I was told that faculty salary increase depends partially on tuition increase. Now you know where your money is going.


Ya it is, but if you factor in cost of living in SF/SD which is very expensive compared to LA it kind of balances out. UCSF is like 35k now!! (I saw somewhere that it was 16k just 6 yrs ago...like 20k 3 yrs ago!). In a few years it will soon be 45k like USC. UCSF is so broke they are trying to get out of the UC system so they can partner with pharma companies and get more $$ (currently this is against UC rules). Pretty much all the CA schools are super expensive so it doesn't matter. Western basically copycats USC's tuition lol. Now maybe it would have been smarter in retrospect to go to a super cheap out of state school and come out with less loans but I don't think it's a good idea now in this job market to try to find a CA job with an out of state degree with no connections. You're competing against all the instate kids who made those connections.

As far as how we're being prepared better compared to other students, I'd love to know that too :laugh: I don't think (so far) we are prepared better. I think we're located in a prime area and that facilitates making connections/interning/etc so you get jobs/residencies easier.

3% tuition increase is normal everywhere because that's standard inflation. That's why most jobs have 3% salary increase every yr (except maybe not in pharmacy lately...some ppl have said their yrly increase has dropped to 2% now so it's technically a cut in pay...🙁)
 
Our tuition went up because the university said so and because our wonderful state thinks that cutting funding to higher education is somehow a good thing. Our program fees have stayed the same thanks to our Dean. We had to make cuts elsewhere...

No more free printing for PharmD students 🙄

And no more printed powerpoint slides in therapeutics given to us 🙄

And apparently scan trons have become a valuable commodity :meanie:
 
I feel like pharm school has nickle and dimed me for everything. Thankfully I never have to make another payment to them.
 
USFlorida COP: Promised a capped 10% per year. Writing these checks really hurts... It's like buying a car each semester.

PY1-4

Tution + Fee Totals each year
18,200
20,000 (Currently PY2)
22,000
24,200

~ 84,400 Total
 
Instated tuition :
2006: $13k
2010: $17k
2012: $20k

Why? I can only guess it's a top 10 school and it's still plenty cheaper than most. What is certain is that the staff isn't getting 8% raises a year.
 
although my per-semester tuition is a lot (around 22k) the % increase is at my school is always ~3% to account for inflation only

Except inflation is below 3% and has been for a while. 😛 (also the Fed generally targets 2%, not 3)
 
And apparently scan trons have become a valuable commodity :meanie:

ScanTrons are supposedly quite expensive...my school doesn't use them, but I was talking to someone from another school, and they too were told to cut back on ScanTron usage in the classroom because of the expense (!)

I heard the per-unit cost a few months ago; I don't remember it now, but do recall that it was quite a bit more than I expected...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad