Tuition Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I-Ball

OD WANNABE
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey People...

I had a couple of questions about tuition I was hoping someone could answer for me. I've heard that in California after studying for a year you are, or can be, charged in state tuition rather than out of state tuition, is this true? Is there any sort of lenency for any of the other schools when comes to being in or out of state? Also, how much does the average student get in grants and or scholarships a year? Finally, is it possible to work during optometry school?

Thanks in Advance,

I-Ball.

Members don't see this ad.

1. For SUNY (in NY) it's true that you can get in-state residency status after one year, unless you can be claimed by your parents as a dependent (and they live out of state).

2. If you are eligible for a work-study program, working during the school year is not too bad because they work you in around your schedule. I wouldn't recommend working "outside" during those years, unless you plan to work during breaks.

r_salis said:
1. For SUNY (in NY) it's true that you can get in-state residency status after one year, unless you can be claimed by your parents as a dependent (and they live out of state).

2. If you are eligible for a work-study program, working during the school year is not too bad because they work you in around your schedule. I wouldn't recommend working "outside" during those years, unless you plan to work during breaks.

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, if you depend on your parents for financial support you don't qualify for in state tuition? Also, how many schools offer work-study programs? Are they any good?

Members don't see this ad :)
in texas you can apply for out of state tuition waver... they're hard to come by, but possible. normally you cannot become a resident after one year in texas. (unless you work there first while NOT a student)

as for working.. VERY hard to do your first two years.. too many hours of class and weekends are your catch up time. But, i know a few who did it. (working a few hours on saturdays)

cpw said:
in texas you can apply for out of state tuition waver... they're hard to come by, but possible. normally you cannot become a resident after one year in texas. (unless you work there first while NOT a student)

as for working.. VERY hard to do your first two years.. too many hours of class and weekends are your catch up time. But, i know a few who did it. (working a few hours on saturdays)

Yeah I was worried about that given everything I've heard about how difficult the first two years are, thanks for the heads up!

I-Ball said:
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, if you depend on your parents for financial support you don't qualify for in state tuition? Also, how many schools offer work-study programs? Are they any good?
At SUNY, I believe if you are claimed as a dependent by your parents *and* they don't live in NY state, you cannot claim to be an in-state resident. (These are good things to check out with each school directly, though -- there are a lot of caveats to these rules ;) )

I-Ball said:
I've heard that in California after studying for a year you are, or can be, charged in state tuition rather than out of state tuition, is this true?

UCBSO is the only school in CA that has state tuition because SCCO is a private school. You can claim CA residency after your first year to get state tuition. You are required to do a few things to verify you are a CA resident - get a CA driver's license, register your car in CA, register to vote in CA, open a bank account in CA and close all out of state accounts, etc. Once you enroll, you will get documentation to help you claim your residency and what advice the UC recommends.

I-Ball said:
Is there any sort of lenency for any of the other schools when comes to being in or out of state?

You do not qualify for state scholarships and grants. Some state schools have contracts with neighboring states to allow a certain number of students in. I'm not sure what other leniency is out there. You do not get a discount on books or equipment to cover the cost of out of state tuition, if that is what you mean.

I-Ball said:
Also, how much does the average student get in grants and or scholarships a year?

It depends on the school so you'll need to ask each school's financial aid office. Loans are a different story, but grants and scholarships are harder to come by. Most grants and scholarships are based on academic merit but some include community service.

I-Ball said:
Finally, is it possible to work during optometry school?

I found that I had a lot of free time during my first year that allowed me to work. You will need to juggle your schedule around though. I work 8 hours/wk, and I plan to continue to work until I leave for rotations. I also worked at the eye clinic at school during the summer for another 24 hrs/week, but I didn't have any classes. A few of my classmates work about 16 hrs/week during the school year.

I-Ball said:
if you depend on your parents for financial support you don't qualify for in state tuition?

You will definitely need to check with the schools about this - I have no idea. I just know that you do not need to tell the schools about your parents' incomes unless you think you will quality for specific loans through them.

I-Ball said:
Also, how many schools offer work-study programs? Are they any good?

I believe all schools have some kind of work-study programs. I've never been in one during optometry or undergrad school, so I'm not sure how good they are. You generally can make more money if you don't work for the school since they will most likely pay you minimum wage.

Best wishes,

Rosanna