Tuition tax credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

canadiancal

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a canadian looking to go south for optometry school, are tuition costs tax deductible like in Canada? My wife will be working when I go to school so it would be helpful to know the approx return (%) when filing income tax returns. I suppose it will matter on the state but I would appreciate any info. I know I would not be able to credit U.S. tuition costs if I filed a Canadian tax return (if I retain assets in canada) Thanks in advance.
 
canadiancal said:
As a canadian looking to go south for optometry school, are tuition costs tax deductible like in Canada? My wife will be working when I go to school so it would be helpful to know the approx return (%) when filing income tax returns. I suppose it will matter on the state but I would appreciate any info. I know I would not be able to credit U.S. tuition costs if I filed a Canadian tax return (if I retain assets in canada) Thanks in advance.

From what I've been told, tution is no longer deductable on US taxes, however you can use your US tuition (all of it! 😀 ) and some living expenses as a deductable on your Canadian taxes. All you need is an extra form signed by your school.
 
jefguth said:
From what I've been told, tution is no longer deductable on US taxes, however you can use your US tuition (all of it! 😀 ) and some living expenses as a deductable on your Canadian taxes. All you need is an extra form signed by your school.


As far as I know the IRS has still the LifeTerm Learning Credit in place. I was just on the IRS.gov website and it has it detalied out to people. You can credit your taxes up to $2000, assuming that you have paid over $10,000 in tuition for the past calender year. Tuition costs have to be over 10k, after any scholarships have been substracted. IF you've paid under 10k for tuition, then its a sliding scale of how much you can credit your taxes. Been a great credit for the past few years.