Tuition vs. Cost of Attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am somewhat confused by the various threads on medical school debt and tuition because most posts seem to indicate that the tuition at a given school is XXX such as 48,000 a year. For schools that I am assessing the tuition could be something like 18k(University of Buffalo) but then their COA estimate is around 43-52k depending on the given MS year. Are COAs usually an overestimate? If even a state school such as Buffalo will end up costing me nearly 200k when COA is taken into account what are the schools where it's possible to finish med school with around 150k debt?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are no longer any medical schools in the US that cost less than 150k total in cost of attendance for 4 years. All schools have been and many are now in the process of raising tuition by 5-15% year over year. The only way people graduate with less than that in debt is because of personal or family wealth and, for the select few, scholarships.

Costs of attendance figures rarely, if ever, "overestimate." In fact, most schools are very stingy and try to make themselves appear cheaper by being ultra-conservative in their calculation of costs of attendance.