Tulane Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I just sent around samples of the POs and the Class Notes, i'll put them up here as well.

Here's something I wanted y'all to think about in terms of all of this: We're ordering a huuuge number come July 20th so that's why the price is so cheap. If at a later date you decide that you really want these (which most people end up doing), the price will be a lot higher because at that time, we'd only be ordering one copy as compared to 100. Its around 2,500 pages, so bulk ordering is the way to go to make this gem of a set affordable.Just somethin' to think about... oh and the lectures are exactly the same, as told to me by the class above us. :thumbup:

Go here to check out the samples:
http://www.noteservice2010.com/samples/

Great questions, and I'm glad rebecca and I are here to fill ya in on the DL of 1st year.

Hint.... embryo is worthless, don't put any money into the books for that class.

-Drew the notes/tubing dude

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much everything. Craps, Baccarat, Blackjack, Slots (Wheel of Fortune), No-limit, etc.

Wow. :oops: Seems like we've got a pro on our hands. How has your luck been? I've heard Harrah's isnt the luckiest place in the world.

Harrah's poker room is full of tourists and the tv-poker types so I had a good time there.

The slots are tight.

Everything is else is as it should be.

Members don't see this ad :)
You gotta teach me craps and baccarat

I've been hooked onto Roulette for quite some time, i tend to do well there and earn a couple hundred dollars whenever I go, hopefully Harrahs will just be as lucky.

Should i take all my financial aid money and bet it all on one number? :laugh:

In Baccarat you are playing against the dealer.

It is very similar to Blackjack. Except the number you are trying to reach is 9.

You are each dealt two cards. Cards 2-9 are worth their face value. A's are worth 1 and 10,J,Q, and K are worth 0. Anytime you go over 10 or 20 just subtract as many multiples of 10 as possible. For ex. 4,8 is worth 2 (12-10). The hand 9,5,9 is worth 3 (23-20). One more example, the hand 10,6,4 is worth 0.

There are a bunch of rules for when you get a 3rd card in addition to some other nuances but don't worry too much about that. Bottom line is you are trying to total 9.

I'm not sure if the the Harrah's in New Orleans has Baccarat. The game prides itself on being snobbish, see James Bond.

As for Craps, I would have to show you that in person. Its a lot of fun if you get a great group of ppl together at the table.

Quick housing question: Does Demming/the medical campus have some sort of gym, or do Demming students have to drive to the undergrad campus to work out? I've already gathered this isn't the sort of neighborhood I should be running through.

I was told that the gym you want to work out at is at the uptown campus (as in there is no gym at Deming)

Quick housing question: Does Demming/the medical campus have some sort of gym, or do Demming students have to drive to the undergrad campus to work out? I've already gathered this isn't the sort of neighborhood I should be running through.

You do not want to live in Deming if you can live uptown. For one, you can probably live cheaper uptown than in Deming plus it is more fun uptown.

BTW, I sent you a PM regarding your request for housing.

DEming has a room with treadmills lifecycles and some ellipticals.

I'm not sure if the the Harrah's in New Orleans has Baccarat. The game prides itself on being snobbish, see James Bond.

Harrahs has Baccarat. I swear you can make so much money off that game.

I was told that the gym you want to work out at is at the uptown campus (as in there is no gym at Deming)

you'll wanna go to Reilly. even thought it's uptown and parking sucks if you're not an undergrad student, it's gorgeous. definitely the place to see and be seen ;)

Hey here is some helpful immunization records info.
I called the student health center and the woman told me I could send in a copy of my immunization form that I used when I began undergrad (assuming i had all the required shots by then, which I did, and I assume most of us do) instead of having a doctor sign the form from the SOM website and all that bull****. She said i could just fax it in. So, you don't have to go see a doc and pay for all that **** if you got your old form. She also said we could get the hep A vaccine once we get down there for a fifteen dollar copay (if you get the student insurance) and some of the other recommended but not required immunizations. Hope this helps someone out. If you have more questions, just call the number on the immunization form...The woman who answers is nice and really helpful.

who here is getting their insurance? Im thinking about getting it. Anyone know the cost and how good it is compared to standard private insurance?

i had it for two years as i worked on my post-bac at tulane undergrad. i think it was about $1200/year. you have to pay up front, which is kind of a pain, rather than monthly like most private insurers. i didnt use them much (healthy, mid-20s male...) but when i did it was ok. actually didnt goto the student health center which can be a pain as i understand. but since i was part-time i got to elect to goto a private physician w/o being referred. i think there was like a $250 deductible. they definitely screwed up the billing a couple times but i think it came out in my favor in the end. i plan on getting it again as it's easier than going through the hassle of signing up with bluecross, etc, and prolly cheaper in the long run. they're accepted at all the major hospitals. the only catch is that as fulltime students we will have to goto the health center (uptown or downtown) first if we're sick, and they can be kinda slow and annoying, but if you go right to a private physician w/o referral i think they only cover like 50%. pretty standard really. $15-20 copay for drugs. not bad.

here's the link to the school insurance info. http://www.tulane.edu/~health/Insurance.htm note the pdf brochures are still for 06-07, but i bet if you follow the link to chickering's website they'll have the new rates.

whew: my numbers were old! last year's rate was $1883/year for student only. ah post-k inflation....

just as a side note to those of you looking for tulane info, you have to be ver careful about following links from the som website as a lot are outdated (i think their health insurance stuff is from 05). your best bet is to check out the main website www.tulane.edu first or second to confirm w/e you find on som....

Members don't see this ad :)
bump on this thread...so what have people done for their white coat cem. pictures? im debating on a funny one of me as a child or a more boring recent one....the kid one isnt me in the nude or anything, but worth a good laugh. what did you all do?

Soooo....

For financial aid I need to:

1. Send back the award letter signed
2. Complete the student loan counseling on line
3. Sign my lender's MPN

Is that right? Did I miss anything?

Dear Lord I wish they would send an abridged version of what steps I need to complete. I can't wait until I am actuallly sitting in a class worrying about school only.

It's good if you're healthy and don't actually need health insurance. Otherwise it sucks.

I am in good health, but every year i've had to go to the doctor for something, this year I had to get knee surgery, the year before that I had MMEWS- Multiple mute evanescent white dot syndrome and went blind for no reason in one eye for about a month :eek:

any incoming students buying the class notes/ anatomy POs from the class above us? I talked to a 4th year who said it really wasn't necessary if you plan to get the notes from our own notetaking classmates. Any thoughts/ reasons that we should buy them?

You should buy them because an anonymous user on an internet website says that you should....

What's a better reason than that?

I mean, personally, if I could buy a whole year's worth of notes and anatomy lessons for the first year classes at a school where about 50% of the people are purported to never attend class because they find it more productive to study on their own then I think I might take the leap...but that's just me. And they're professionally typed and arranged and ready to memorize to boot...

Soooo....
For financial aid I need to:

1. Send back the award letter signed
2. Complete the student loan counseling on line
3. Sign my lender's MPN

where do we find the MPN to sign (specifically for T.H.E.)?

where do we find the MPN to sign (specifically for T.H.E.)?

For THE Stafford Loans
http://www.northstar.org/Med/default.aspx

For THE Grad Plus Loans
http://www.northstar.org/GradPlus/Student.aspx

Click "Apply Online/E-Signature" in the upper right.

Complete the application and then electronically sign it using your FAFSA pin. It will prompt you to complete the Grad Plus if you do the Stafford and vice versa. Also, there is no differentiation between the subsidized and unsubsidized Staffords as far as the form is concerned.

For THE Stafford Loans
http://www.northstar.org/Med/default.aspx

For THE Grad Plus Loans
http://www.northstar.org/GradPlus/Student.aspx

Click "Apply Online/E-Signature" in the upper right.

Complete the application and then electronically sign it using your FAFSA pin. It will prompt you to complete the Grad Plus if you do the Stafford and vice versa. Also, there is no differentiation between the subsidized and unsubsidized Staffords as far as the form is concerned.

Thanks much!

I am in good health, but every year i've had to go to the doctor for something, this year I had to get knee surgery, the year before that I had MMEWS- Multiple mute evanescent white dot syndrome and went blind for no reason in one eye for about a month :eek:

You'll need better insurance, if anything like that happens to you in medical school. Basically, it's catastrophic coverage, with OK coverage for the occasional minor problem. Coverage for chronic health conditions is very poor.

You should buy them because an anonymous user on an internet website says that you should....

What's a better reason than that?

I mean, personally, if I could buy a whole year's worth of notes and anatomy lessons for the first year classes at a school where about 50% of the people are purported to never attend class because they find it more productive to study on their own then I think I might take the leap...but that's just me. And they're professionally typed and arranged and ready to memorize to boot...

wow. thank you so much. how can i thank you for such brilliant insight?

Hey Everyone,

I know people already discussed laptops and computers, but I was wondering if it is necessary to have a printer? My undergrad had completely free printing, so I never needed one. Thanks for the advice!!!!

Anyone know of any cheap places where I can buy bedroom furniture like bed, desk, etc..etc..?

Im not sure but part of our tuition and fees might be able to pay for a printing card to use. I know thats what its like at a few other med schools, not sure how tulane does this.

Im not sure but part of our tuition and fees might be able to pay for a printing card to use. I know thats what its like at a few other med schools, not sure how tulane does this.

You will have $25 on your student ID for printing in the library each semester. It is 10 cents per page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know of any cheap places where I can buy bedroom furniture like bed, desk, etc..etc..?

You can have my stool I'm not using anymore.

So here's one for the upperclassmen: if you DO go to class, do you bring your computers? In grad school, only the aggrivating ones did. However, I can see it being handy at med school, so what's the etiquette lowdown?

I took notes on my laptop and a lot of other people did too. But it's even more useful for facebook if the lecture is boring.

I took notes on my laptop and a lot of other people did too. But it's even more useful for facebook if the lecture is boring.

That's funny, I took all of my notes using the back of rebectar's head to rest my notebook on.

And yet another question: do we all get a locker, or do we sign up to be on a list for when lockers open up...?

Hey I posted this in the facebook group but might as well post here too. My family unfortunately couldn't make it to the family festivities of orientation so looks like I'll be braving out the white coat ceremony and other stuff alone. Anyone else here without their family?

Yeah my family wont be able to make it either so I'll be chillin' solo as well.

Braluk,

I sent you a PM. Did you get it.

Rollwave,

I'll have my family cheer for you.

I received the Itinerary for this weekend today. In case any of you didn't get it:

T1 Orientation
Class of 2011

Friday, August 3, 2007

8:00 a.m. Breakfast JBJ Building
Packet and T-shirt Medical School Foyer
Distribution
Meet and Greet Orientation Medical School Auditorium
9:00 a.m. Welcome & Introductions Medical School Auditorium

Barbara S. Beckman, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions

9:10 a.m. Dean’s Welcome L. Lee Hamm, M.D Interim Dean, School of Medicine

9:20 a.m. Tips For 1st Year Ernest J. Sneed, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs

9:30 a.m. Class Profile Barbara S. Beckman, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions

10:00 a.m. Welcome Jeffrey Wiese, MD
Internal Medicine

10:30 a.m. Welcome David Aamodt
President, Class of 2010

11:05 a.m. Class of 2010 Ryan Goldsmith
Presentation

11:20 a.m. Music & Medicine Eric Anderson
Kyle Chong
Ryan Goldsmith
John Moscona
Phil Parry
Drew Updike

12:00 p.m. Lunch JBJ

After lunch please enjoy the rest of the day.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Wayne’s World Tubing on the Bogue Chitto River,
Bus pick up, 8:30 a.m. in front of 1555 Poydras Street, Med. Sch.

Sunday, August 5, 2007

2:00 p.m. – 4 p.m. Alumni Peristyle at City Park
Association BBQ (directions and details in packet)
Friends and Family Welcome!
Meet and greet the faculty and staff.

Monday, August 6, 2006

9:15 a.m. T1 Student arrival time Hilton Riverside Hotel
Grand Salon C and D

10:00 a.m. – Noon White Coat Ceremony Hilton Riverside Hotel
Grand Salon C and D

Noon Lunch Hilton Riverside Hotel
Grand Salon A and B

Enjoy the rest of the day with your family.

REGISTRATION ACTIVITIES

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

8:30 a.m.- 9:00 a.m. Breakfast in the JBJ

9:00 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Registration

12 Noon – 1:00 p.m. Lunch in the JBJ

1:00 p.m. Anatomy Orientation – Medical School Auditorium

All students must go to the following stations:

1. Student Health Services, Medical School, Room 1525A, to receive your PPD and to show proof of personal health insurance, etc Anne Justis, R.N., Nursing Coordinator for Student Health Services, will be outside the SOM’s Auditorium on Thursday, August 9, 2007, to check tests administered on Tuesday, August 7th during registration.
2. Card Services for ID’s, SOM Auditorium.
3. Room 5001 in the Medical School to fill out your registration forms and to sign the Honor Code.
4. Medical School Library on the second floor of the Medical School to obtain email addresses and bar codes for using the library. Do NOT go to the library until you have received your ID.

NOTE: Students may go to any of the stations in any order, except for the library. You need your ID before going to the library.

Anyone know where the JBJ building is?

JBJ is right next to the "old" med school, which is on 1430 Tulane ave.

Get ready for the Wiese talk. It's inspiring and very motivational. He is an internal medicine GOD, and he's just so cool--he has beer on tap in his kitchen! You can really see he loves taking care of those in need, and is a total proponent of properly teaching residents and students often winning several awards for excellence in teaching. He often gives these speeches on what it means to be a doctor, or what it means to be a teacher, or what the Tulane family is all about. Believe me, when he's done with one of these speeches, you want to go into the jungle with this guy and cure the world of disease.

Congrats to all of you who are about to start. Welcome to the Tulane family! And as Tony Soprano said, "Once you're in this family...there's no gettin' out."

No need for cheering, looks like Rollwave and I will be the lone wolf fami. I better get a cheer too holden :D Gimme a call or respond to my PM holden

Hey I posted this in the facebook group but might as well post here too. My family unfortunately couldn't make it to the family festivities of orientation so looks like I'll be braving out the white coat ceremony and other stuff alone. Anyone else here without their family?

Brandon,

I'm here solo too.

-Erin Anderson

Brandon, Erin Anderson, and Rollwave (name to be determined) will be cheered for. On a side note, why do they put this thing on a Monday? Its so hard for all the families to make it.

Brandon, PM sent.

Because most everyone is too hungover to have it Sunday after Tubing, White Linen Night, and orientation party.

On a side note, why do they put this thing on a Monday? Its so hard for all the families to make it.

Brandon, PM sent.

White Linen night???

What are the details on that?

I posted this on facebook but:

Hey, I went to the financial aid office yesterday to get my pin # (since it wasn't emailed to me) so I could check up on financial aid and stuff like that. Anyways, if you have your pin (if you dont, get it at the financial aid office on canal), go to
https://www2.tulane.edu/acctrec/

and set up direct deposit. If you do, you get your loans and stuff by August 17th, if not, and because they are switching to some weird new check system, you'll get your check sometime in late August and even in September. So just a heads up if you want your financial aid faster.