Tulane Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeciduousHuxley

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have interviewed, do you recall what time the day ended? The invitation only says "mid-afternoon." I'm trying to schedule the earliest flight out of NO that will still allow time to change out of my suit, get to the airport, etc... What's a reasonable time?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My day ended at around 2:30. If you miss the tour, you can be out of there earlier. Really, the tour isn't anything special. Good luck! :)

UCLAstudent said:
My day ended at around 2:30. If you miss the tour, you can be out of there earlier. Really, the tour isn't anything special. Good luck! :)

I agree about the tour. The interviews end by 1pm and then you have the tour which ended at around 1:45 on our day.

Members don't see this ad :)
opinions on the school from those who have interviewed? i'm trying to figure out whether or not to go to mine...

It was my first interview. I loved it. You have plenty of time to meet other interviewees and talk to people at the school throughout the day. The dean of students encourages interviewees to talk to students that were around. I never once had to initiate a conversation with a student. In crossing paths with them, so many stopped to talk and chat the school up in a genuine way. One student stopped to talk to me in the hallway. We were interested in the same things, have gave me the scoop on my interviewers and what to expect, and later he chose to be my student interviewer.

Since being accepted and telling my other medical school friends, I haven't heard a bad word about the school. Several friends have friends that went there. Consensus is that they all love (d) their time there. Tulane, while mysteriously not ranked in those USNWR lists, has a reputation of turning out good clinicians.

And if you're into infectious diseases, New Orleans is the place to see things!

LauraMac said:
opinions on the school from those who have interviewed? i'm trying to figure out whether or not to go to mine...

I loved it and probably will be attending in the fall. Mainly I just felt like the school was a really good fit for me. The students are non-competitive and laid back, very happy with their school. My interviewers were all great and very interested in me as a person. The students get a lot of hands on clinical training b/c of Charity Hospital and see a lot of interesting pathology given the unique location and population. They are well known for their Tropical Medicine program and you can get your MD/MPH in 4 years. The negatives (for me) were that the facilities are rather old (not a huge deal to me and apparently they may be moving to new facilities, but I haven't heard anything definite). Also, unless you live in the dorms, it seems that you would have to drive to get to classes, the area around the med school does not provide any attractive housing. (I was hoping to go to a med school where I could walk/bike to campus, don't think I could do that at Tulane) New Orleans is a really cool city with a lot of different stuff going on, but obviously not for everyone.

PM me if you have any specific questions! :)

Davina3000 said:
I loved it and probably will be attending in the fall. Mainly I just felt like the school was a really good fit for me. The students are non-competitive and laid back, very happy with their school. My interviewers were all great and very interested in me as a person. The students get a lot of hands on clinical training b/c of Charity Hospital and see a lot of interesting pathology given the unique location and population. They are well known for their Tropical Medicine program and you can get your MD/MPH in 4 years. The negatives (for me) were that the facilities are rather old (not a huge deal to me and apparently they may be moving to new facilities, but I haven't heard anything definite). Also, unless you live in the dorms, it seems that you would have to drive to get to classes, the area around the med school does not provide any attractive housing. (I was hoping to go to a med school where I could walk/bike to campus, don't think I could do that at Tulane) New Orleans is a really cool city with a lot of different stuff going on, but obviously not for everyone.

PM me if you have any specific questions! :)

I felt the same way as Davina and will also be attending in the fall. The new building should be ready by then, according to Dr. Kahn. So we'll be down the street, closer to the superdome than the old building. Pretty exciting stuff. I just love Tulane. :) We should start a Tulane '09 thread.

stinkycheese said:
I felt the same way as Davina and will also be attending in the fall. The new building should be ready by then, according to Dr. Kahn. So we'll be down the street, closer to the superdome than the old building. Pretty exciting stuff. I just love Tulane. :) We should start a Tulane '09 thread.

:thumbup:

Sounds good to me! Do we have other classmates out there for an '09 thread?

I'm so interested to hear about the new building. I didn't even hear rumblings about it at my interview (back in September), just read a random post about it on here. Are all of the classes going to be held there? Having a new room for anatomy lab would be nice...the ones we saw on the tour were *tiny*.

Unless you have something seriously pressing to do back home, I would recommend staying at least an extra night! It is completely anathema to the spirit of the Big Easy to bolt town in a rush. Assuming you haven't been there a bunch of times already, of course.

Anybody have any advice for where to stay when interviewing at Tulane? What is the closest hotel? Did anybody use the student hosting program?

ts9977 said:
Anybody have any advice for where to stay when interviewing at Tulane? What is the closest hotel? Did anybody use the student hosting program?

I interviewed on the last day of finals at Tulane (12/17). I loved the school, im hoping I'll hear some positive news come mid January. I stayed at Deming Pavilion for $40. Since it was finals time, there were no student hosts available, but I would first see if you can get a host, otherwise I'd recommend staying at Deming. At least you get to see where a decent amount of 1st years live. Its literally across the street from the Admissions office. Also the hotels may be somewhat expensive in the area since its close to the French Quarters. Overall, Tulane is definitely one of my top choices, and everything there was amazing. The interview is extremely laid back, and I only had 2 medically related questions throughout my 3 interviews: Why do you want to go into medicine & what is giong to make you wake up at 3 am to see a patient?
My interview finished around 2:30, you can definitely take the Airport Shuttle ($13) which will pick you up near the med school office. I went ahead and took the city bus since its alot cheaper ($1.60) and it took me about 40 minutes from the med school to the airport. The city bus picks you up near Deming Pavilion (right by the Walgreens). Also, make sure to go to Cafe Du Monde for some beignets(sp ?).
Best of luck and Tulane is an amazing school.

Thanks for the advice!