Tulane Masters of Pharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssiding

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently applying to this program and wanted to get some advice on how I should structure my personal statement for a post bac?

thanks for all the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's about the same as any other good personal statement:

1. Why the program/school/etc is the one for you
  2. Experiences that back up your reasons for believing #1
  3. What you can bring to the program/school/etc
  4. Something positive to wrap it up

Thanks kinase, i took your advice and got the acceptance email a few weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! We may very well be classmates come July. Do you have an idea of where you're going to live?

Thanks. Probably Deming Pavilion.

Hey guys,
I applied a while ago, but there was a mix up with my transcripts so I'm still not complete. Does Tulane interview applicants?

There is no interview for the Tulane Pharmacology program.

Case,
try calling the pharmacology department 18003475935 to see how many people have been accepted, you might still be able to complete your application in time to be considered.

Case,
try calling the pharmacology department 18003475935 to see how many people have been accepted, you might still be able to complete your application in time to be considered.

Hey thanks bud!
I actually got a phone call from Dr. McNamara a couple weeks ago reminding me to get my transcripts in and asking for another academic reference. So, I think that's a good sign. ;) But I will call them to check in tomorrow. Thanks!

Sweet, no need to. Just got my acceptance e-mail!

awesome case, make sure to send in your deposit, and I'll hopefully see you in the fall!

Hopefully!!
Do you guys think I should retake a 29 MCAT before we start?

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh...I want to live in the Saulet so badly....but my parents are holding me hostage!

And those accepted to the Pharm program: welcome to Tulane/New Orleans!! I live here and work at Tulane SOM...so if you have questions about places to live or things to do...feel free to PM me!

Hopefully!!
Do you guys think I should retake a 29 MCAT before we start?

depends.. where are you thinking of applying, whats you state residency. If your thinking about Tulane SOM, then you should retake. A former pharm/current tulane student told me that if Tulane Med is your goal then you want a 30+ score now due to the new dean. Sub 30s wont get interviews anymore without being an awesome applicant in other categories.

Post this question in other threads to get opinions of more experienced studentdoctor members,
good luck

Hey guys, I got accepted to this program too... about 95% sure I'll be sending in my deposit in a few days. I just got back from a quick visit of New Orleans and I liked it... just a little nervous about figuring out where to live! Hopefully be seeing you guys in July!

Hey all, I'm a rising T2, hunting for a roommate for next year. I'm trying to find someone to find a very nice apartment in the Saulet in the garden district for $680/month. PM me if interested.

Also, welcome to Tulane!
Hey are you still looking for a roommate? I just got accepted to the Tulane program and I am looking for a place to live.
Please let me know if you are still looking or know of anyone who is looking.

hey what part of California are you from. I am living in irvine right now, but I am originally from simi valley. I just got accepted to the Tulane program and i am looking for a roommate.

Yeah, I should most likely retake that 29, I don't know if I have time now though. I just couldn't get motivated until I got the acceptance.
Hey Rice, I am from LA.

Hey all,

I just got accepted to the masters in micro and am trying to find a roommate. Those looking for roommates are you male or female? I am a girl hoping to find a girl roommate.

Thanks!

Akwizeguy, what are the required texts for the pharm program, are these it? I assume your in pharm right now, so what classes are the hardest so far besides medical pharm. Is principles of pharm difficult, are the rest of the 1 credit coursed basically similar to undergrade courses (the seminar, research, etc. )

Also guys, I found this great google map showing places to live in NO with commentary on the various neighborhoods, it was made by a current Tulane T1 and seems to be very helpfuli.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e....998206,-90.167542&spn=0.079833,0.135612&z=13

as much as I would like to get rid of these books, im not going to pull your leg, there arent any required texts for the program. All the info you need they provide pretty well with each block's notes. Although I did use the texts frequently for reference, which helped alot as well.
By far the hardest courses, was principles in pharmacology, because the notes they provide are so vague and the elective cellular control mechanisms. I did well in them, but the tests were short answer so required a little more effort than med pharm, and if you do get multiple choice in principles or cell controls, each question is a hefty 5 pts or so.

But yeah, if you guys still are interested in the books, let me know

Has anyone figured out where their living?
I'll be dorming it in deming.

Hey future Pharmacology compatriots,

I just created a facebook group in the same vein as every previous year, so feel free to join.

See you guys in August!

hmm, I thought I read one of the academic calendars for the med school that said classes start first week of August...thanks for the heads-up!

EDIT: I don't know where I was looking, but I see now that orientation is July 15. See people then, I suppose.

Last edited:
who is applying to med school this year and who is waiting to finish the program?

I'm applying this cycle... I've listed the courses i'll be taking in the fall semester of the pharm program as future/current courses.. do you think aamc will have to verify these course with a transcript?

I'm applying this cycle... I've listed the courses i'll be taking in the fall semester of the pharm program as future/current courses.. do you think aamc will have to verify these course with a transcript?

Course listed as future/current don't need to verified with a transcript. I'm doing Tulane's ACP and just went through the same thing with my AMCAS app. I had no problems getting my app verified.

swimchick, congrats on the ACP program!

Will there be research opportunities during the school year? And how do we go about that?

I still haven't heard back from the financial aid office. I'm anxious. Have you guys heard back?

I still haven't heard back from the financial aid office. I'm anxious. Have you guys heard back?

I called them and spoke to one of the financial aid counselors who was fairly helpful over the phone. He said that since I had finished my FAFSA, all I needed to do was fill out the 2009-2010 Addendum, which I didn't know about. The form can be found here:

http://www.finaidhsc.tulane.edu/Documents/SOM addendum 2009-2010.pdf

I was in NOLA last week for a few days to set up my place so I went in to drop off the addendum and spoke face to face with my counselor which was very helpful.

They are very casual and laid back about everything which is somewhat refreshing but can be very frustrating when you are trying to get stuff done! Speaking of which, I still haven't received ANY information about our program (schedule, etc) other than our welcome packet!

I sent in the Fin. Aid Addendum on Thursday, and got the packet email yesterday.

Also, if you guys join the facebook group ("Tulane Pharmacology 2010"), then you can see a few tips like this that some of us have posted about our experiences thus far. Especially Keith, who's been in NOLA for a few days now and has given a pretty nice introduction about things!

See you all soon!

Yeah, I sent the addendum a few weeks ago. I also haven't received anything from the program since an update e-mail with everyone's contact info, but that was a while ago. I feel like I'm jumping into something blindfolded. It's a really anxious feeling.