Tulane or Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillow

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Tulane is a little better/smaller school with a nicer/more fun location, but I am from near Detroit and am a little hesitant to move all the way to New Orleans. Also Wayne costs less than half of what Tulane would. I was just wondering what you think, before I make my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

WSU. --Trek

I know Tulane costs more, but NOLA is a great place to go to school. I spent four years there as an undergrad, and wouldn't trade the experience for the world. I'd go back for the food alone, if weren't for one minor detail: I wasn't accepted there :( . Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane hands down . . it has a better reputation than WSU and you are expected to be in debt; with Tulane you'll just be in debt for a while longer.

i am instate at WSU too, but I might pick Tulane. I guess it sort of depends on what you want to go into as well? and where you want to end up for residency? But I am all for new adventures after being in Michigan for so long!

Obviously it depends on what you want.

Do you like it in Michigan?
Do you want to do your residency there?

After growing up near Detroit and going to school in Ann Arbor I really wanted to go somewhere new.
Now that I've been away awhile, I wouldn't mind going back, but back then you couldn't have paid me to go to WSU. I would have went to Tulane.

Hey,
I will be a second year at Wayne next year and if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. I am in Detroit for the summer and I would be willing to show you around or tell you more about life at Wayne. I love it here.

--jimmybee
[email protected]

I've heard Wayne state is fine for MS's but their PGY's aren't quite as good. (viz. some teaching hospitals aren't pleasant environments at all)

I'm from sterling heights, MI, and i'm pretty happy with my decision to go down to NOLA.

it is way too expensive, but it's hard to quantify financially how great it is to have no winters, a great city, and a very supportive atmosphere for school. i know my wallet will not thank me a few years from now, but as of now I think i've made the right choice ...

but, i'm not so sure if anyone can say definitively that tulane is better than wayne. it could be a better fit for someone, but it's hard for me to say objectively that one provides a better education than the other.

the only things that i think are objectively different is the diversity (wayne has sooo many UMich kids, and so many metro detroiters ... obviously, 'cause it's a state school) and the lack of organization at wayne's administrative end. they must be understaffed. and those are pretty minor issues in one's entire academic experience.

if you choose tulane, I can't wait to see you for the retreat, it's a good time!

simul

I am from metro Detroit, went to UM and now am a MS2 at Wayne. When I was first applying to med. school I probably would have choosen Tulane based only upon academics. Now after my first year I am definetly glad that I am at Wayne. The program is good and we had a great match this year. People in the class are cool and the profs are very responsive to students.

There are alot of people from UM and MSU at Wayne. That being said Wayne is still WAY diverse. Not only is there many different ethnic backgrounds repersented but also a range of ages from 19-45

As far as moving away from Detroit I am definetly glad that I stayed around. Alot of my friends moved away from Det. when they graduated from college but alot are still around. I find it great that I have a huge network of friends here to hang out with when I need a break from the people I'm in school with. I don't think that I would have many friends outside of school if I would have moved to NO.