Tulane Secondary Question...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UCLA Paratrooper, Aug 29, 2002.

1. UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA Paratrooper Senior Member

For this Tulane question:

LIST any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during your college years.

Which answer choice should I use?

1. As the Battalion Commander for a field training exercise in ROTC I was in charge of 40 cadets as well as $20,000 worth of government equipment. I was also the Personnel and Intelligence Officer for ROTC as well as being a camp counselor for kids.

2. Battalion Commander, Personnel Officer, Intelligence Officer, Camp Counselor

I'm just worried about the "List" part...

UCLA Paratrooper

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member

i like #1- sounds freer, easy to read. and it lists some insight.

4. Tweetie_bird

I agree, that #1 SOUNDS better but #2 might be the way to go if you have more leadership stuff to talk about. i wanted to do something similar as you, expand more, but the character count would not allow me. Do you see how little room they give us???

In either case, your leadership skills are impressive. :)

5. athena21

athena21 Senior Member

okay,
    i didn't realize that there were character limits on the Tulane application. I was just going to write "see attached sheets." Is this okay? My essays are kind of long and definitely take up more room than what they give...

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member

I would not go the "see attached" route. They might decide not to see it!;) Just bite the bullet and edit stuff down to their limits. They want to be able to quickly compare your app to someone else's. The whole point of secondaries it that they want to see stuff in their format, not yours or AMCAS's.

7. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

I would merge 1 and 2. Option 1 doesn't sound like a list at all and option 2 doesn't sound like you really did any leadership.

Something like. . .

Battalion Commander, US Army Reserve
    Commander of 40 cadets and responsible for 20k of gov't property

8. DrBravesgirl

DrBravesgirl Surgeon for a year

Resident [Any Field]
    when i sent mine in, i did pretty much what jbj suggested in the above post. it was detailed, and stuck to the allotted character space.

9. Tweetie_bird

I would ammend that to
    Battalion Commander, US Army Reserve
    Commander of 40 cadets (is the 20K property really THAT important??) and Camp Counselor for kids.

I would be much more impressed with the Camp thing than the 20K thing. But that's just opinion.

10. UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA Paratrooper Senior Member

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

11. cabruen

Resident [Any Field]
    There is not a character limit for the Tulane essay, but it does say explicitly to use the allocated space. I interpreted that to mean no attached sheets.

12. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member

there's no explicit character limit, but they impose one on their text boxes in adobe. you can remove the limits though. just change the options. hehehehe ;)

13. swimr

swimr Junior Member

Did any/all of you see different font sizes when you pasted your answers to the questions on the Tulane secondary application (compared to other questions: ex #9 vs #12)? What version of Adobe do you need to have to edit the text box format? My application opens in internet explorer and doesn't seem to have a format change option.

thanks for any advice. ;)

14. changing font size is ok as long as they can read it..