Tulane university General Surgery residency program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any body tell what is overall repute of general Surgery Residency program at Tulane university in surgery community?Is it a respected program.Will it be a good idea to do a prelim surgery residecy from here.will it enhance my cv enough to become a good candidate to later pursue a categorical spot?
plz give as detailed reply as possible.tx

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many other interviews do you have? Are you specifically asking about Tulane because it's one of a few programs you're considered? And you're wondering whether or not you should rank them? Or are you wondering where to place them on your rank list?

i am offered a prematch prelim there,was weighing my options.i liked the place in general when i went there for interview,but other then that have no idea about its repute in surgical community and how well itll strngthen my cv to be a good candidate to be considered for year 2 position at other places

How many other interviews do you have? Are you specifically asking about Tulane because it's one of a few programs you're considered? And you're wondering whether or not you should rank them? Or are you wondering where to place them on your rank list?

i am offered a prematch prelim there,was weighing my options.i liked the place in general when i went there for interview,but other then that have no idea about its repute in surgical community and how well itll strngthen my cv to be a good candidate to be considered for year 2 position at other places

Moving to the Surgery Forum...although be forwarned, we cannot estimate your chances of getting a categorical position.

i thought the repute of ones intern program influenced PDs while considering candidates for vacant 2nd or 3 rd year categorical spots e.g if im a PD ill give more consideration to a candidate from MGH/UCONN rather to one doing their intern year from OSCHNER,etc.
i was asking about the repute of TULANE Surgery programm in that context.

What comes to ur mind when u hear TULANE uni gen suegery residency program?in a way will u go there if given n option?
wat do u beleive/or have heard about this program?

1. You posted this question not two threads below this one. What necessitated a second thread when you could have just asked this question on the already existing thread?
2. Please don't use text-speak when posting. It makes it difficult to read and even more difficult to take you seriously. (maybe this is just more of a pet peeve of mine)

What comes to ur mind when u hear TULANE uni gen suegery residency program?in a way will u go there if given n option?
wat do u beleive/or have heard about this program?

I'm starting to think that this guy is interested in Tulane.

Apologies in advance but this is probably going to add a bit of gasoline to your already neurotic tendency about the Big Easy.
Two rumors around the campfire.
1. Being fired in your R4 year.
2. The URBAN MYTH that a surgery resident killed themselves by clamping both their carotid arteries after doing a bilateral carotid exposure on themselves. Hard core even if completely unbelievable.

The URBAN MYTH that a surgery resident killed themselves by clamping both their carotid arteries after doing a bilateral carotid exposure on themselves. Hard core even if completely unbelievable.

There's probably easier ways to off yourself.

The next question: How good was his dissection?

you should probably be more looking into landing a categorical 1 slot from any prelim, not a categorical 2 spot... can be done though...

Members don't see this ad :)
you should probably be more looking into landing a categorical 1 slot from any prelim, not a categorical 2 spot... can be done though...

im an IMG and will be getting a J1 visa.u cant legally take categorical 1st year slot after doing a prelim first year.atleast thats my understanding.am i correct?

we IMG/FMG already face great difficulty getting surgery residency even prelim,so we do pause, think, get confused and then ask questions on sites like sdn .things which seem easy to u amgs(like getting to tulane) arent easy get for us.......i guess u might understand my liking for tulane now.

i thought the repute of ones intern program influenced PDs while considering candidates for vacant 2nd or 3 rd year categorical spots e.g if im a PD ill give more consideration to a candidate from MGH/UCONN rather to one doing their intern year from OSCHNER,etc.
i was asking about the repute of TULANE Surgery programm in that context.

Perhaps.

But do you have a prelim pre-match from MGH and UCONN? If so, then yes, I'd take it over Oschner. What is *more* important than the reputation of the program you come from is how YOU do - on your ABSITE, on your rotations, etc.

Apologies in advance but this is probably going to add a bit of gasoline to your already neurotic tendency about the Big Easy.
2. The URBAN MYTH that a surgery resident killed themselves by clamping both their carotid arteries after doing a bilateral carotid exposure on themselves. Hard core even if completely unbelievable.

1 and 2 are not rumors. They happened.
2 is not an urban myth. The current chiefs could have possibly been in the meeting called afterwards if they did 1-2 years in the lab.

She tried her best, but her best was not good enough. God rest her soul.

1 and 2 are not rumors. They happened.
2 is not an urban myth. The current chiefs could have possibly been in the meeting called afterwards if they did 1-2 years in the lab.

She tried her best, but her best was not good enough. God rest her soul.

If the timing was as you say, then I would have been a med student at that time. I find it hard to believe we wouldn't have heard even a single rumor about it--particularly those of us interested in surgery, and this story is certainly news to me.

1 happened to all but one resident about 5 years ago. It isn't a rumor, but it also isn't a habit of the Tulane Gen Surgery program.

2 never happened. No resident killed himself much less by that absurd and gruesome means. Give me a break.

my question still remains unanswered.what do u think of tulane's surgery residency program?is it a good place to train?:confused:

my question still remains unanswered.what do u think of tulane's surgery residency program?is it a good place to train?:confused:

Sounds like you get a lot of vascular exposure there.....

1 happened to all but one resident about 5 years ago. It isn't a rumor, but it also isn't a habit of the Tulane Gen Surgery program.

2 never happened. No resident killed himself much less by that absurd and gruesome means. Give me a break.

The fact that you say "himself" shows that you have never spoken to the person who committed the act. This is all that I will say about this matter. I will not be baited any further. This incident will become a "myth" once it fades from institutional memory. The current residents may face unofficial sanctions for even mentioning that it happened.

As for choosing Tulane, I do not think that they care whether you are categorical or preliminary. The best will get advanced.

So this will be a double-edged sword. Come to Tulane and beat several categoricals and the categorical spot will be yours. However, come and get poor evaluations and you could get eliminated from any field in the U.S. as an IMG.

It would probably be better to go to a supportive program and get decent evaluations. With the attrition in surgery, you should be able to land a spot somewhere for pgy-2.

Take this advice with a grain of salt. The culture of the program may have changed after they went off probation.

Last edited:
Dr. Michael DeBakey invented the roller pump while he was a student at Tulane University School of Medicine. I don't know anything about their general surgery program though.

Edit: He was on the surgical faculty 1937-1948.

Dr. Michael DeBakey invented the roller pump while he was a student at Tulane University School of Medicine. I don't know anything about their general surgery program though.

Edit: He was on the surgical faculty 1937-1948.

the_more_you_know2.jpg