Tulane University SMP in Pharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed206!

Reaction score
So I have a fairly low undergrad GPA it's like a 3.32 for my cGPA and 3.48 for my sGPA (not dumb, just had a very hard time my freshman year). I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I am planning on it for after I graduate next fall (fall 2021) I have taken the GRE and I received a 315 on it. Someone I know recommended that I look into Tulane University's Special Master Program in Pharmacology as it is one year, and will help build my chances of getting into med school (MD), and looks good for my (hopefully) future career as an anesthesiologist. So I was wondering if anyone had stats on how difficult it is to get into this particular program? I have been looking at other forums and there are very drastic differences in GPA and test scores that make it difficult for me to figure out.

If anyone can help me out it would be super helpful, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro would just tell you to take post-bacc classes to raise GPA a little bit more so that cGPA > 3.4 and/or to take the MCAT and score high

I mostly concur with that. SMPs are high-risk and are generally for GPAs closer to ~3.0. However, where I would differ with @Goro is that it also depends on how strong a student you are. That's for you to decide. You are the one who knows whether or not you can handle a high-intensity 1-year masters program. If you earn a 3.7+ GPA in the SMP, your chances for an MD spot are quite high given a high MCAT to accompany it.

It's unwise to start a SMP before an MCAT score is ready anyhow. So regardless, you should get that done first.

The less-risky(seriously less risky) path is taking enough post-bacc classes to raise cGPA/sGPA to 3.5+, get a 515+ MCAT; you will be competitive for MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro would just tell you to take post-bacc classes to raise GPA a little bit more so that cGPA > 3.4 and/or to take the MCAT and score high

I mostly concur with that. SMPs are high-risk and are generally for GPAs closer to ~3.0. However, where I would differ with @Goro is that it also depends on how strong a student you are. That's for you to decide. You are the one who knows whether or not you can handle a high-intensity 1-year masters program. If you earn a 3.7+ GPA in the SMP, your chances for an MD spot are quite high given a high MCAT to accompany it.

It's unwise to start a SMP before an MCAT score is ready anyhow. So regardless, you should get that done first.

The less-risky(seriously less risky) path is taking enough post-bacc classes to raise cGPA/sGPA to 3.5+, get a 515+ MCAT; you will be competitive for MD schools.
Okay, thank you so much! I'll keep all of this in mind when applying to programs. But, Aren't post-bac programs mostly for people who haven't taken many or any pre-med courses? I'm almost finished with all of them

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thank you so much! I'll keep all of this in mind when applying to programs. But, Aren't post-bac programs mostly for people who haven't taken many or any pre-med courses? I'm almost finished with all of them

There are two types of premedical post-bacc programs: record enhancers and career-changers. You're looking for the former.

Reactions: 1 user