Tulane vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway192781

Reaction score
Hi all, please help me decide between these two schools! As background on me, I'm from the NY area but did my undergraduate education at Tulane. All of my friends, family and SO are in the NY area. I'm thinking I want to do surgery as of now and want to match in NY.

NYMC
Pros:
close to home, friends, and SO
matches a lot of people in the NY area
network will be in ny

Cons:
rotations are more spread out
seems like research is harder to come by
not as many volunteer opportunities as Tulane

TULANE
Pros:
New orleans is a better city than valhalla
I’m familiar with the school from undergrad
get to live somewhere cool and different
associated with a well known university (is this important?)

Cons:
people match all over the country
my network of connections won’t be in ny

Summary: These schools have a pretty similar curriculum and seem to be on the same "level" so I am just really torn on what to do. At both schools I enjoyed my interview day and thought the students were friendly and laid back. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

nymc matches most of their students in the tristate and a majority in nyc programs. since you did undergrad at Tulane, you're probably familiar with the vibe of the med school so id really think about if you have enough of a support system at Tulane to get through med school. COA difference might be another thing to consider.
disclaimer: im from ny most likely going to nymc

Like the above comments, really depends on where you want to match- if you're shooting to stay in NY for residency and thereafter then NYMC is definitely more promising in that arena

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC
Pros:
close to home, friends, and SO
matches a lot of people in the NY area
network will be in ny

Cons:
rotations are more spread out
seems like research is harder to come by
not as many volunteer opportunities as Tulane

I know absolutely nothing about Tulane, but I can tell you as a current NYMC M2 that the rotations are only as spread out as you want them to be -- I have some friends that chose to live on campus and do all of their rotations at Westchester Medical Center! I live in NYC, so most of my rotations are in either the Bronx or the Upper East Side.

Hope that helps- feel free to reach out with any questions.

Good luck deciding - my pick would be NYMC. You're basically living and working in the suburbs of the greatest city in the world. When you feel ready make your choice and CTE. Thousands of people on the WL are sitting in limbo waiting for people to settle in and free up spots.

Reactions: 1 user
I decided to choose NYMC back in May! Already withdrew my other offers :) Thanks everyone for your help deciding!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user