Tulane vs UCLA (WL)

Started by lgk8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lgk8

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both schools seem like established and well regarded institutions! I'm on the east coast right now and all my family lives on the east coast so a move out west would be far from friends and family.

I'm really looking for anything you all can provide about what you've heard on student life, faculty, or any hidden negatives I haven't heard about.

Tulane
Pros:
  • Love the city
  • good residency matches to east coast
  • closer to family
  • great community relationships
Cons
  • Don’t know a ton about faculty
  • 2 years of pre-clinical

UCLA
Pros:
  • great location
  • lots of research
  • built in research/dual degree time with discovery year
  • Weather
  • Prestige
Cons:
  • far from friends and family
  • pricey location
  • Heard it can be competitive
  • not sure how hard it would be to come back east for residency
 
I mean UCLA would be an obvious choice here if you end up getting off the W/L. You would not struggle at all matching into residencies on the east coast compared to Tulane.