Tulane vs. UT Memphis--HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sports5570

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between Tulane and UT Memphis, which is instate for me and only three hours from home. Tulane is obviously private and about twenty grand a year more and is about 8-9 hours from home. Both schools have great clinical experience and perks of their own, and so I'm torn! Any opinions either way? Is Tulane a good enough private school to justify turning down the instate costs and proximity? Feel free to point out pros and cons of either!

Members don't see this ad.

UT Memphis is cheap and great.

Tulane is expensive and great.

Tulane has a higher ratio of transvestites in the general popluation which could lead to some interesting newbie pelvic exams.

Go with UT.

memphis-- because I'm on the waitlist and in state would be much much cheaper and as you pay off your debts years from now you will be glad you took the in-state choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Between Tuition and the cost of living in New Orleans post katrina you're going to be racking up alot of debt. Apartments right now can easily add up to over $1000.00 a month.. not including all the things necessary to survival.. ya know food.. alcohol ... food lol :D

Tulane - because I'm on the waitlist at UT :laugh: . Seriously, though, I think I'd have to go with UT if it were me. The extra debt just isn't worth it, and UT's a great school.

UT. Tulane matriculants are known to have dubious credentials and flawed personalities, and in the grand scheme of things probably become fairly terrible physicians. I know first hand. Good luck with the decision!

I'm trying to decide between Tulane and UT Memphis, which is instate for me and only three hours from home. Tulane is obviously private and about twenty grand a year more and is about 8-9 hours from home. Both schools have great clinical experience and perks of their own, and so I'm torn! Any opinions either way? Is Tulane a good enough private school to justify turning down the instate costs and proximity? Feel free to point out pros and cons of either!

I made this decision last year (and then I made the UT vs. Wake Forest decision about 2 months later) and chose UT.

Before the storm, Tulane was one of my top choices. Excellent southern school with a very laid-back faculty (that was still very top notch and concerned about providing an excellent student education). Great ortho program. etc etc.

And then Katrina came. I couldn't justify the added expense for four years in a city with an uncertain patient population and questionable residency programs (Tulane's General Surgery program lost its accreditation this year -- maybe only temporally). Especially with the clinical experience at UT being as well thought of as it is.

I don't mean to bash Tulane. In alot of ways I wish I had gone there; but I ultimately decided that I was (somewhat) an adult and I needed to think like one and do what I knew what was right, despite how I "felt".... If that makes any sense.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

-Goose-

Sports - not to change the subject of your thread - but have you definitely decided against Quillen? Just curious. :)

Sports - not to change the subject of your thread - but have you definitely decided against Quillen? Just curious. :)

Not completely, but leaning that way! So yes, it's likely a spot will open up there and hopefully for you!

UT. Tulane matriculants are known to have dubious credentials and flawed personalities, and in the grand scheme of things probably become fairly terrible physicians.

GASP! at least back up your claims if you're going to be so harsh...

Preston Burke went to Tulane, definitely can't argue with that.

Last edited:
haha...so you think you have dubious credentials and a flawed personality? :laugh:

if i don't get off the waitlist at my first choice school, i'm headed to tulane, so i honestly would like to know a little bit more about your opinion if you have the time....i'm sure it would also help the OP in their decision....

OP already knows I have dubious credentials and a flawed personality. Don't think I'm of much help in the decision. Otherwise, NOLA is gonna be siiiiiiick (7 i's sick), and I'm appropriately pysched. Maybe I'll catch you there...

OP already knows I have dubious credentials and a flawed personality. Don't think I'm of much help in the decision. Otherwise, NOLA is gonna be siiiiiiick (7 i's sick), and I'm appropriately pysched. Maybe I'll catch you there...

Please ignor Lux. He loves to irritate me.

Please ignor Lux. He loves to irritate me.

Don't flatter yourself, sister. Anyway, can't wait to have the BIG FUN in the BIG EASY with all you Tulane people out there. And learn medicine too.

Tulane med student two weeks away from graduating.

If I had to decide for you, I would tell you to go to Memphis. You're closer to home, and you'll save a lot more money. Education at Tulane will be the same as UT-Memphis. I loved my experience at Tulane, and I will always be proud to say that I graduated from Tulane med. Also, living in New Orleans in your early, mid-twenties is great. New Orleans is truly a one of a kind gem. However, as far as education goes, you'll learn the same stuff here that you'll learn in Memphis. You'll have just as good a chance obtaining your residency of choice in Memphis as in Tulane. It will all depend on how you do in med school, and that is student independent. It really has nothing to do with what school you go to or "how a school prepares you" b/c you'll soon see that all the preparing is done by you and mainly from standard nationwide review books (First Aid, BRS, Crush, Pre-test, etc).

So in my view your decision is really about location and cost. I would always side with much cheaper and closer to family, friends, and what I'm used to.

Later.

Tulane med student two weeks away from graduating.

If I had to decide for you, I would tell you to go to Memphis. You're closer to home, and you'll save a lot more money. Education at Tulane will be the same as UT-Memphis. I loved my experience at Tulane, and I will always be proud to say that I graduated from Tulane med. Also, living in New Orleans in your early, mid-twenties is great. New Orleans is truly a one of a kind gem. However, as far as education goes, you'll learn the same stuff here that you'll learn in Memphis. You'll have just as good a chance obtaining your residency of choice in Memphis as in Tulane. It will all depend on how you do in med school, and that is student independent. It really has nothing to do with what school you go to or "how a school prepares you" b/c you'll soon see that all the preparing is done by you and mainly from standard nationwide review books (First Aid, BRS, Crush, Pre-test, etc).

So in my view your decision is really about location and cost. I would always side with much cheaper and closer to family, friends, and what I'm used to.

Later.

What has been the best and worst parts of Tulane? Where do you live? Are the areas where most students live nice?

Just wanna bump this thread one more time! Please everyone--tell me what you think and what you'd do! :)

You better believe it's sick, there's lots of opportunity to learn and to do some good. When you get a chance volunteer some time at University Hospital's ER, they let me wire shut a jaw as a first year! :cool:

Put another way for the OP: You cannot put a price on the post-K cred you'll get when you interview for residencies, it makes you look like a pioneer.