Tulane Waitlist

Started by Loco Loki
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey everyone,

I called the admissions office this morning to change my telephone number/contact information. I also asked if many people had been taken off the waitlist yet. Unfortunately, the secretary indicated that movement was minimal, due to the small number of withdrawals they have received thus far.

Hopefully, it will speed up soon.
 
doctorkojo said:
Hey everyone,

I called the admissions office this morning to change my telephone number/contact information. I also asked if many people had been taken off the waitlist yet. Unfortunately, the secretary indicated that movement was minimal, due to the small number of withdrawals they have received thus far.

Hopefully, it will speed up soon.


Oh...that makes me sad 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you guys been calling? I never know what to say to show interest, besides to ask about the waitlist movement. I feel like I'm playing stupid just to talk to them; it's like trying to work my way into an exclusive nightclub or something :scared:
 
susan96 said:
it's like trying to work my way into an exclusive nightclub or something :scared:
yeah...and whoever answers the phone that day is the bouncer who doesn't think you're cool enough.

does anyone know anything about adcom meetings? does anybody have an inside scoop?
 
My guess is that when you're getting an unfriendly response from the admissions office, calling probably isn't going to help.

I'm also a bit disappointed to see the waitlist at a standstill. And at not being able to find out where you stand on the list. Of course, all of this is life.

Hang in there, bros.
 
I called today to confirm that they received a letter and asked about the waitlist. I was told that it is moving but very very slowly...so I guess we just have to hang in there and hope for the best. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....
 
What is the hold up? Someone give me answers! I say we do a three-way call to the admissions office and play good-cop/bad-cop until we get some damn answers!
 
...or, I could just go get something to eat. Either way, I'm giving someone a body cavity search. eww.
 
indo said:
...or, I could just go get something to eat. Either way, I'm giving someone a body cavity search. eww.
I am afraid to ask what you're eating?
 
So I asked this earlier, but no one answered. Do we know how much they overaccept to begin with?


Indo - good luck with that body cavity search.
 
I think I once read on here that they accept 400 people. Maybe that is the grand total. How big is the class?
 
indo said:
I think I once read on here that they accept 400 people. Maybe that is the grand total. How big is the class?

I think the class is around 155.
 
doctorkojo said:
I think the class is around 155.

So 250ish people are given acceptances but choose to go elsewhere? Hmm, I wonder what the hold up is. We're probably just being impatient.

I bet they already know who has given up their acceptances and they are just processing the people on the waitlist. 500 dollars is a lot to spend on indecisiveness so I figure those who had acceptances but are going elsewhere have made the proper contacts to get their deposits back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hmm.... 50% chance if the same number of people give up there spots as the last couple of years.

dunno.
 
Not too shabby. I'd play those odds.

What do you make of the recent post-interview rejections? Any statistical analysis there?
 
Does anyone know if the waitlist has started moving at all? Do you think they've already sent out some acceptances or that they are going to make a serious of calls/mailings at once. The suspense is seriously killing me.
 
indo said:
This person said he or she was informed that there are aprox. 300 waitlistees.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2577958&postcount=304

So with all that in mind, calculate your chances.


I think that information was obtained before the wave of rejections from the wait list. That post was made on 5/2, but earlier in this thread there is discussion of rejection letters dated 5/3. So the wait list size is definitely smaller, though by how much is uncertain.
 
doctorkojo said:
I think that information was obtained before the wave of rejections from the wait list. That post was made on 5/2, but earlier in this thread there is discussion of rejection letters dated 5/3. So the wait list size is definitely smaller, though by how much is uncertain.

Last Tuesday I called the admissions office, and a woman told me that there are 200 people on the waitlist. If thats true, they rejected ~100 people with the 5/3 rejection letters. I also asked approximately how many people they accept off of the waitlist, but the woman wouldn't give me any information because she says its varies from year to year.
 
Yeah, that's better than I thought. But I guess it doesn't matter unless other people withdraw...
 
akpete said:
Yeah, that's better than I thought. But I guess it doesn't matter unless other people withdraw...

Hey, Jesus dude! We's playin' the odds, remember? We's gettin' in!

Well, at least the odds are very good. Or at least I tell myself this to get through day by day.

Love your avatar, dude.
 
Thanks!

I think that's what this entire process is all about: playing the odds. :luck:
 
Good luck to everyone for the new week!! Hope we hear some good news... :luck:
 
Just called the admissions office they are saying that there haven't been many withdraws so doesn't look like the waitlist is moving anytime soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NomadGL said:
Just called the admissions office they are saying that there haven't been many withdraws so doesn't look like the waitlist is moving anytime soon.

Booo. You'd think there would be more withdrawals, since the 15th has come and gone. They must have really overaccepted.
 
blacklisted said:
Booo. You'd think there would be more withdrawals, since the 15th has come and gone. They must have really overaccepted.


word...its depressing.




On a scale from 1 to 10, what is our hope for getting in off of the wait list now?
 
indo said:
word...its depressing.




On a scale from 1 to 10, what is our hope for getting in off of the wait list now?

Hmm. I don't think we should give up just yet. This sucks, but let's see what the next few weeks bring. I can't imagine they won't take ANYONE off of the waitlist... right? That would be pretty amazing.
 
nockamura said:
If I were still on the WL I don't think I'd call it amazing...more like über-depressing.


i called again today and they said there has been no movement but they are expcting the list to move in a couple of weeks.

:barf:
 
If they haven't received enough withdrawals yet...2 weeks after the 15th, why would the waitlist start moving in a few weeks? I'm sure some people withdraw late but not very many, right? Reading other posts it seems like alot of schools haven't had much waitlist movement yet.

Before the 15th alot of people talked like May 16th was going to be some magical day when all of these calls were going to go out accepting waitlistees. In the past, did waitlists usually not start moving until june?
 
This waitlist business is just agonizing. Though I would be thrilled to attend Tulane, I have an equally -- if not stronger-- desire to rid myself of the uncertainty and begin focusing on the school where I'm accepted.

I doubt if I have the strength or motivation to suddenly abandon all the preparations I will need to make, only to begin all over again if I hear back from Tulane. Closure seems much more appealing. I just wonder what an appropriate time would be to put an end to this dead-end love affair. 👎
 
Meg603 said:
If they haven't received enough withdrawals yet...2 weeks after the 15th, why would the waitlist start moving in a few weeks? I'm sure some people withdraw late but not very many, right? Reading other posts it seems like alot of schools haven't had much waitlist movement yet.

Before the 15th alot of people talked like May 16th was going to be some magical day when all of these calls were going to go out accepting waitlistees. In the past, did waitlists usually not start moving until june?
I really didn't understand the hype about the 15th, 16th, 17th, and so on. People procrastinate. They wait 'til the last minute. They forget to call or write to withdraw there acceptances. I knew people last year who held on to multiple acceptances after the 15th. I'll begin panicking mid-June. 👍

Does anyone have any inside scoop on the waitlist? Will there be anymore adcom meetings? Does the dean remove folx from the list? How many people are on it?

No more speculation! Give me facts, people! 😀
 
Meg603 said:
If they haven't received enough withdrawals yet...2 weeks after the 15th, why would the waitlist start moving in a few weeks? I'm sure some people withdraw late but not very many, right? Reading other posts it seems like alot of schools haven't had much waitlist movement yet.

Before the 15th alot of people talked like May 16th was going to be some magical day when all of these calls were going to go out accepting waitlistees. In the past, did waitlists usually not start moving until june?



I wondered the same thing...so I searched SDN and found that there really wasn't a huge surge of waitlist movement. But, keep in mind that SDN may have doubled in size since 2 years ago.


I dunno.


How long do I wait before submitting next year's application?
 
indo said:
I wondered the same thing...so I searched SDN and found that there really wasn't a huge surge of waitlist movement. But, keep in mind that SDN may have doubled in size since 2 years ago.


I dunno.


How long do I wait before submitting next year's application?

seriously. im wondering the same thing - does anyone know how long one shoud wait before starting AMCAS again?
 
inferno said:
seriously. im wondering the same thing - does anyone know how long one shoud wait before starting AMCAS again?

Im waitlisted at two schools and as agonizing as this is to wait, I am working on my PS now, sending out AMCAS transcript request forms today and will submit June 1. That is just my 2 cents...
 
So, in the "matriculation" thread, Tulane isn't listed even once. What the hell is happening?
 
Kitra101 said:
Im waitlisted at two schools and as agonizing as this is to wait, I am working on my PS now, sending out AMCAS transcript request forms today and will submit June 1. That is just my 2 cents...


Waitlisted on four, but I am also starting the re-application process. It is really really really aweful, to start a personal statement again. I want to write something so bitter, like "I want to be a doctor because, well, it doesn't really matter to you a$$holes, because you don't care. You just take my money and then you look at my numbers. Seriously though, I think I would make an excellent doctor"
 
ElKapitan said:
Waitlisted on four, but I am also starting the re-application process. It is really really really aweful, to start a personal statement again. I want to write something so bitter, like "I want to be a doctor because, well, it doesn't really matter to you a$$holes, because you don't care. You just take my money and then you look at my numbers. Seriously though, I think I would make an excellent doctor"


Let me tell you how i feel for you.... 😡 😡 😡
 
you guys suck, i saw that there was a recent waitlist post and got all excited that the list might have moved, but i feel you pain on the new ps, keep putting mine off and apps open in just a couple of days.

here we go again.

Kitra101 said:
Let me tell you how i feel for you.... 😡 😡 😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MechE said:
Is anyone planning on reapplying to Tulane?


I am...i really liked Tulane, how the students feel about the school and their "working together ideology" and if by chance, I make it off the waitlist, I am there...but if not, I hope to interview again!

luck to all...
 
MechE said:
Is anyone planning on reapplying to Tulane?


Yea, I prolly will if I don't get in this time. Apparently if you re-apply after interviewing the first time they don't interview you again.



Any movement on this waitlist yet?
 
ElKapitan said:
Waitlisted on four, but I am also starting the re-application process. It is really really really aweful, to start a personal statement again. I want to write something so bitter, like "I want to be a doctor because, well, it doesn't really matter to you a$$holes, because you don't care. You just take my money and then you look at my numbers. Seriously though, I think I would make an excellent doctor"
I completely feel your pain. I'm also waitlisted at four schools, writing a new ps, and deciding what to do for a year. I have about four backup plans, unsure of which one to pick. Hopefully we will hear back from a school soon.
 
I GOT IN!

My Tulane Interview was April 13th. I received a phone call from Dr. Beckman (coolest person in the world by the way) today Wednesday letting me know that I got in! She said that VERY few spaces were opening up because they did not receive as many withdrawls as us waitlistees would have liked, but then again obviously one did for me so I am sure more will open up...if history has taught us anything...they always do!