-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Tulane Waitlist
Started by Loco Loki
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
🙁 😳 🙄 🙂 😀arashd said:I GOT IN!
My Tulane Interview was April 13th. I received a phone call from Dr. Beckman (coolest person in the world by the way) today Wednesday letting me know that I got in! She said that VERY few spaces were opening up because they did not receive as many withdrawls as us waitlistees would have liked, but then again obviously one did for me so I am sure more will open up...if history has taught us anything...they always do!
Congrats!!!!
👍
arashd said:I GOT IN!
My Tulane Interview was April 13th. I received a phone call from Dr. Beckman (coolest person in the world by the way) today Wednesday letting me know that I got in! She said that VERY few spaces were opening up because they did not receive as many withdrawls as us waitlistees would have liked, but then again obviously one did for me so I am sure more will open up...if history has taught us anything...they always do!
Heh, you interviewed when I did. I had a bad set of interviews, bastards they were. I got accepted to where I wanted to go, but the ashes of rejection never go down smooth, even with the prime liquor of acceptance. Religious questions should never EVER be asked. What faith am I? The faith that will bloody beat you into bloody oblivion if you ask!
Anyway, good luck to the rest of you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
arashd said:I GOT IN!
My Tulane Interview was April 13th. I received a phone call from Dr. Beckman (coolest person in the world by the way) today Wednesday letting me know that I got in! She said that VERY few spaces were opening up because they did not receive as many withdrawls as us waitlistees would have liked, but then again obviously one did for me so I am sure more will open up...if history has taught us anything...they always do!
Congratulations!!!! That is awesome that at least someone around here is getting some love!! Did you update your file, call regularly, anything??? I'm just wondering what else I can do, or if I should just twiddle my thumbs and pray to the application gods.

indo said:somebody remind me that it is only 18 days past the 15th and I haven't been waiting for ages
The scoop from Dr. Beckman is that they have not received the normal amount of withdrawls, but I did get accepted yesterday (by phone call mind you, I have received any letter yet) so things are very fresh.
The scoop from a student friend is that they are sizing their class right now and sorting it all out. The list will move. Is there a any possibility the list wont move until the first day of class?....NOT A CHANCE. The list will move. Thats how the universe works!
I sort of had that feeling all along. I'm sitting here staring at my list of schools for next year's app and the price listed right underneath whiole thinking to myself I hope I don't have to pull the trigger on that 600 dollars.
just called the office to see if they received a letter my boss had sent on my behalf. the lady said to hold on and that she was going to look through a few letters on her desk that had just come in today. she said she had a letter come in for a student from a Congressman Jindal but nothing else.
i'm outta my league here. people are getting congressmen to help get them off this friggin' waitlist!!! i guess that's one way to play the system?!
maybe i should write W....?
btw, she also said the usual: "there has been some movement on the waitlist, but not too much just yet b/c they haven't received a large number of withdrawals."
this is agonizing. oh well, another week passes by....g'luck to everyone. hang in there.
i'm outta my league here. people are getting congressmen to help get them off this friggin' waitlist!!! i guess that's one way to play the system?!
maybe i should write W....?
btw, she also said the usual: "there has been some movement on the waitlist, but not too much just yet b/c they haven't received a large number of withdrawals."
this is agonizing. oh well, another week passes by....g'luck to everyone. hang in there.
That is so stupid that someone would go to that extent to try and get off a waitlist. I guess that there are always people out there who lack the self esteem in their own merit, and have to resort to what I call "underhand" tactics. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Hopefully the Tulane Adcom recognizes that.
It may be, buit that is how the world works. It's all about who you know. if you get angry about it you will just be upset your whole life.futuredocter said:That is so stupid that someone would go to that extent to try and get off a waitlist. I guess that there are always people out there who lack the self esteem in their own merit, and have to resort to what I call "underhand" tactics. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Hopefully the Tulane Adcom recognizes that.
jjmack said:It may be, buit that is how the world works. It's all about who you know. if you get angry about it you will just be upset your whole life.
I dont know about you guys, but I always thought the rule of thumb for med school was to NEVER get a congressman or anyone political to write a letter of rec. I doubt they will care about that at all...
arashd said:I dont know about you guys, but I always thought the rule of thumb for med school was to NEVER get a congressman or anyone political to write a letter of rec. I doubt they will care about that at all...
bobby jindal is actually very involved in public health... served under clinton for some health position.. so actually his letter might be relevant and even "legitimate" if the applicant interned with jindal
just fyi
A letter from Bobby Jindal might actually carry some weight, especially if he was familiar enough with the applicant.
If you all haven't read much on him, you should. He's a pretty amazing guy who initiated some very impressive reforms. Actually, the city of New Orleans is probably the only reason he's not the governor of the state right now--running, mind you, as an Indian-American Republican.
If you all haven't read much on him, you should. He's a pretty amazing guy who initiated some very impressive reforms. Actually, the city of New Orleans is probably the only reason he's not the governor of the state right now--running, mind you, as an Indian-American Republican.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Indo, et. al,
I spoke with an admissions officer late last week, and I was informed that the waitlist will move, but typically it isn't moving until later this month and into July... a gradual process at that. However, he/she said that after the committee reviewed the 'acceptable range' applicatants, to still be on the waitlist was a "good thing" and to not fret for at least another 3-4 weeks, as the process is still moving...
I hope this helps curb the anxiety a little...?
I spoke with an admissions officer late last week, and I was informed that the waitlist will move, but typically it isn't moving until later this month and into July... a gradual process at that. However, he/she said that after the committee reviewed the 'acceptable range' applicatants, to still be on the waitlist was a "good thing" and to not fret for at least another 3-4 weeks, as the process is still moving...
I hope this helps curb the anxiety a little...?
HoyaMax said:Hey Indo, et. al,
I spoke with an admissions officer late last week, and I was informed that the waitlist will move, but typically it isn't moving until later this month and into July... a gradual process at that. However, he/she said that after the committee reviewed the 'acceptable range' applicatants, to still be on the waitlist was a "good thing" and to not fret for at least another 3-4 weeks, as the process is still moving...
I hope this helps curb the anxiety a little...?
...that and one of these will:
thanks for the news!
on second thought, it is june 8th and in 2 weeks it'll be june 22nd which leaves 1.5 months to relocated to new orleans. Good...i love pressure and procrastination.
I spoke to two different people, one man and one woman, can't remember which one said what...2tall said:![]()
ambiguous gender?
😕
so i was wondering...
got waitlisted at Tulane (as with everybody else on this thread)
and got accepted to Georgetown's SMP in case things dont work out.
but if i might not hear back from tulane til july, what the heck am i gonna do for housing...at EITHER place?
of course id take tulane in a heartbeat...but from what i hear, people dont get rejected off the waitlist.
SO WHEN SHOULD I ACCEPT THE GU SMP ?
i was planning on waiting til the end of june before looking into financial aid and housing at GU but now it looks like i should wait longer to see if tulane takes me?
-bitterly motivated
got waitlisted at Tulane (as with everybody else on this thread)
and got accepted to Georgetown's SMP in case things dont work out.
but if i might not hear back from tulane til july, what the heck am i gonna do for housing...at EITHER place?
of course id take tulane in a heartbeat...but from what i hear, people dont get rejected off the waitlist.
SO WHEN SHOULD I ACCEPT THE GU SMP ?
i was planning on waiting til the end of june before looking into financial aid and housing at GU but now it looks like i should wait longer to see if tulane takes me?
-bitterly motivated
Hi eddaman. Welcome to our waitlist pergatory. I have a similar problem. I have an acceptance luckily, but then also 2 waitlists, and I'd prefer either over the first one. My big problem is that school #1 starts on July 27. I'm holding out at least through June, but after that I think I might have a nervous breakdown! 

eddaman said:of course id take tulane in a heartbeat...but from what i hear, people dont get rejected off the waitlist.
Tulane already rejected a bunch of people off the waitlist. Read through the thread. As for housing, I hear ya', bro. I'm kind of holding out to see if I have any options, too.
eddaman said:so i was wondering...
got waitlisted at Tulane (as with everybody else on this thread)
and got accepted to Georgetown's SMP in case things dont work out.
but if i might not hear back from tulane til july, what the heck am i gonna do for housing...at EITHER place?
of course id take tulane in a heartbeat...but from what i hear, people dont get rejected off the waitlist.
SO WHEN SHOULD I ACCEPT THE GU SMP ?
i was planning on waiting til the end of june before looking into financial aid and housing at GU but now it looks like i should wait longer to see if tulane takes me?
-bitterly motivated
You can get accepted to Tulane, find an apartment, and move in the same day. It is easy to find apartments for rent in New Orleans throughout the summer. I came down, found a place and moved in two days later.
speaking of renting apartments. im going to be a second year at tulane, and im moving in with a roommate (cheaper rent). i live in a fantastic single thats a little on the pricey end (725/mo), but still far cheaper than the warehouse district apartments. youll find that, though it is easy to find an apartment any time of year in new orleans, its very difficult to find a clean place without bugs and with modern appliances. my apartment is two miles down canal, which is a direct drive to the medical school. theres never any traffic on this street, an added bonus, since there always is traffic if youre coming from uptown in the morning. the apartment is available july 1, so email me at [email protected] if youre interested. ideally, id like to hook up a med student (and im sure my landlord would like one, too) so let me know if youre interested, so i can pull the ad from craigslist. also, feel free to email me if you have any other questions or whatever about tulane. congratulations...
heres the link with pictures: http://neworleans.craigslist.org/apa/78305249.html
heres the link with pictures: http://neworleans.craigslist.org/apa/78305249.html
im not too worried about finding tulane housing, it's more so flying in to find, sign, then breaking a lease at GU. there goes $3500k (1st & last, flight, etc) for nothin.
JULY 27th!? what crazy program starts that early???
and regarding the waitlist: so for those of us not rejected from the waitlist but not accepted... this means that they HAVE been looking at our apps?
anybody talk to an adcom person RECENTLY and get the same deal?
im wondering how they rank us in this 'unranked' "acceptable range category"
is that 1-10 mark that somebody mentioned legit?
staring at the cell phone for a 504 number to pop up,
ed
JULY 27th!? what crazy program starts that early???
and regarding the waitlist: so for those of us not rejected from the waitlist but not accepted... this means that they HAVE been looking at our apps?
anybody talk to an adcom person RECENTLY and get the same deal?
im wondering how they rank us in this 'unranked' "acceptable range category"
is that 1-10 mark that somebody mentioned legit?
staring at the cell phone for a 504 number to pop up,
ed
eddaman said:anybody talk to an adcom person RECENTLY and get the same deal?
im wondering how they rank us in this 'unranked' "acceptable range category"
is that 1-10 mark that somebody mentioned legit?
staring at the cell phone for a 504 number to pop up,
ed
Yes, the 1-10 ranking is what they do in the inital adcom meetings. I know some students who sit/have sat on the adcom. Since you won't likely be waitlisted with less than an 8 on your initial adcom review, most people are about equal. To be honest, it comes down to who is fighting for you and your perceived interest in the program. Written letters are much better than phone calls or emails. While admission to Tulane is highly sought after, there are still alot of people who have paid the deposit to hold a spot that are still hoping they get into another program. That is why the waitlist moves quite a bit during the summer.
If you don't get into Tulane, and you don't get anywhere else, or you know Tulane is where you want to be, bide your time and submit early decision. If you were waitlisted initially you will likely get in with early decision for the next year. You could also apply for the 1 year pharmacology masters like a number of tulane med students did.
eddaman said:JULY 27th!? what crazy program starts that early???
Ros Franklin CMS starts orientation on July 27. Well, they said July 25, but a student on SDN said that they have shortened it down a couple days.
submitting:
-general feeling of worry-
thanks for your time,
me
p.s.
one of my first thoughts on my flight back from the tulane interview, "damn that place is hot as hell, imma have to walk around with a air conditioner strapped to my ass or something..."
my first thought after getting waitlist letter, "i take it back! i take it back!"
followed by "who loves tulane!?" -raising hand-
-general feeling of worry-
thanks for your time,
me
p.s.
one of my first thoughts on my flight back from the tulane interview, "damn that place is hot as hell, imma have to walk around with a air conditioner strapped to my ass or something..."
my first thought after getting waitlist letter, "i take it back! i take it back!"
followed by "who loves tulane!?" -raising hand-
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
indo said:(504)wai-tlist

There's an extra letter though. How about (504)wai-tlst?
At first i didn't know what you guys were talking about, thought maybe there was 504 people on the waitlist and that i dont have a chance in hell of getting off that sucker. I see it is a phone number now,
funny
funny

susan96 said:Are you guys still bugging the admissions office? I don't even know what to say anymore....AHHH LET ME IN!!!!!! ok maybe that wouldn't work.. I'm ready to give up and start making concrete plans
yes i feel the same way. i dont know what else to tell them. I WANT IN. thats all. no more fluffy stuff. i wish i could just say that to them!!!!
(can i?)inferno said:yes i feel the same way. i dont know what else to tell them. I WANT IN. thats all. no more fluffy stuff. i wish i could just say that to them!!!!(can i?)
Honestly, that's what my last few letters have consisted of.
"My darling, how many ways do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."
Thankfully I'm working retail, so I can give them my daily/weekly/monthly/annual sales update with that.
I always feel awkward calling these people. They don't rank. They won't give you a clue where you stand. What else can you say? So I just write.
JoeyB said:I recently withdrew my acceptance from Tulane.
It's good to know the list is moving at least
me too... it was REALLY HARD to do... 🙁JoeyB said:I recently withdrew my acceptance from Tulane.
i withdrew yesterday. i had been given an extension.indo said:seethrew, when did you give up your spot in the class...and why?
side note: Oregon State Beavers vs Tulane U. Green Wave!!!!! OMAHA!
i gave up my spot because i got better financial aid from unc and surprisingly duke (which i have to choose between this weekend), and both nc schools are closer to my family too. and other personal stuff.
it was a very hard decision to make. tulane is tres kewl!
tulane offered me a great deal, and i hope someone here benefits SOON from my decline.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2tall said:umm...it's a beautiful day outside?
Its raining here. Portland gets 65 days of sun on an average year and we had 20 days of sun on February. that leaves 45 days of summer. pllbbbbtttt.
Haversian said:uncouth
I love that word.
😀 😀 😀 CONGRATS!!!!! 👍 👍 👍
You're one of the Haves...We're still a part of the Have-Nots.
Git it? Haves...a play on Haversian. I'm a comedian! Maybe not. I guess I should leave the comedy to indo.
Have fun in The Big Easy...The Crescent City...The City That Care Forget...and all that Jazz.
Haversian said:I hope it's not to uncouth for me to post here, but I just got accepted off the waitlist. I sent a letter every week for ten weeks. Hope that helps someone.
what could u possibly say or update within a week for ten weeks?
u didnt fear annoying the crap out of them?
Haversian said:I hope it's not to uncouth for me to post here, but I just got accepted off the waitlist. I sent a letter every week for ten weeks. Hope that helps someone.
Who did you send it to? I sent my thank you letters to Dr. Beckman, my faculty interviewer, and my student interviewer. Later I sent one to Dr. Kahn, and earlier this week my PI sent him a letter of recommendation for me.
It's a bit discouraging that there hasn't been much movement off the waitlist, but I still think I've got a good shot. I've started reapplying too, but Tulane's on my list again this year.