Tulane: why are half the spots outside the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ricky Bobby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Semi-lurker here (i.e. this is my first post, but it's only my 2nd time ever to visit this site so cut me some slack.) :)

I was wondering if it should raise any red flags that 3 out of the 6 residency spots will be filled outside the match? It seems strange to me that this fact was never mentioned during the interview day, nor in any post-interview correspondence. The only way I found out was when compiling my rank list and saw the NRMP quota was set at 3.

Members don't see this ad.

The deal is there are 3 spots being filled in the match. One has already been filled outside the match by a superstar that rotated through as a visiting student with rock solid board scores and work ethic, etc. There are two more positions to be later filled outside of the match as needed depending on volume of the o.r. This is a recent adjustment in the middle of interviewing... This is to ensure the most adequate clinical experience for residents...

Just to further clarify, tulane hospital was going to be sold by HCA earlier this year and the surgical volume dropped precipitously for about 2 months. During that time the CRNAs were being sent home. Residents never went without cases. The decision to drop to 4 residents per year was a safety move during that time so as not to jeopardize resident learning. One guy matched outside nrmp because he was someone we really wanted. The other 3 will be standard nrmp matches. When HCA announced they are not selling the hospital the volume normalized and in fact, increased. Those of us on liver call the last few months can tell you all about the volume increase.

The plan is to take another resident as a CA1 next year bringing us back to 5 per year.

Do not be afraid. For those who get the tulane mentality, there is no other place on earth you would rather train.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This kind of nonsense is why I always tell people to think twice before training at an institution that is run by a corporation (HCA in this case).

Do not be afraid. For those who get the tulane mentality, there is no other place on earth you would rather train.

A statement like this is probably best served with some facts to back it up. Would you mind explaining what exactly you are getting at?

A statement like this is probably best served with some facts to back it up. Would you mind explaining what exactly you are getting at?

Me two:) What is the Tulane Mentality exactly? Didn't apply there as the town seemed expensive since Katrina but don't know anything else about it.

done by two...in the Quarter by beer thirty
Basically. The impression I got is that the New Orleans way of life (you know, chilling, partying, eating until your colon explodes) carries over into the department seamlessly. That said, it sounds like they get to call their cases, for the most part, and thus get to see a lot of useful stuff. Tulane was a real sleeper hit for me, despite the corporate woes and somewhat jumbled hospital situation.