Robinhood vs the Big 3

Started by BLADEMDA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BLADEMDA

Full Member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is your opinion on Robinhood as the brokerage for all your money vs one or 2 of the Big 3? Fidelity, Vanguard or Schwab.
Robinhood has the "Gold" account with perks like 3% cash back on their credit card and 3% towards your annual IRA contribution.

Would you invest everything with Robinhood?
 
I’ve tried them all and still prefer Vanguard. (I actually have funds in all 4 mentioned above).

Vanguard has Low fees, easy platform, automatically rolls you into money market accounts. Vanguards website is currently being updated. Looking forward to that as it is easy to navigate now. The one issue I’ve noticed is that they don’t have an arrangement with a mortgage company. I recently transferred 5M into Charles Schwab to get a ridiculously low interest rate for a real estate transaction. CS doesn’t automatically put that into a money market account which is annoying. Moving every last cent out of CS brokerage account there and going back to Vanguard as the loan has already cleared.

I own robinhood and used it for a bit. I think they have some regulatory issues they have dealt with in the past, but it does offer options/bitcoin transactions etc. I bought some BC through them and then they started asking me for drivers license ID, passport info, etc. I don’t want that information out there with a company that size (or any company for that matter). My 2cents.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Only Schwab. Tried to open vanguard account but after numerous calls over 3 months, they still could not set up the account as tenants by the entirety. So I gave up on vanguard. It was hassle free with Schwab.
 
Never had any hassle whatsoever with Schwab. Award winning Customer service and checking account. I have a vanguard account with my SEP IRA. It does its job but theyre not schwab. Its for Bogleheads which I am one.

Robinhood Im afraid if things go tits up, they will stop answering the phone.
 
I have all my accounts with Schwab. Customer service was impeccable esp with business retirement accounts.

They improved over TDA after buying them out. Trades/investing simple.
 
I use Vanguard and fidelity. While I don’t think I will ever get rid of a true primary Bank of America/merrill. I like physical branches. There is usually a fidelity physical branch in most big cities and I’m fortunate to have one near me.

Fidelity I opened up a cash management account 2 years ago. And it’s pretty easy to transfer money in and out and even pay some large bills.
 
I use Fidelity and Schwab, and my wife uses Vanguard. When I had to do some stuff to my wife’s account, I was flabbergasted at how terrible the website was. Fidelity is just SO easy. My Work retirement account is with Schwab and that seems just fine, but Fidelity has a great website and flexibility, and when I call them on the phone, I get a knowledgeable human almost immediately.
 
What is your opinion on Robinhood as the brokerage for all your money vs one or 2 of the Big 3? Fidelity, Vanguard or Schwab.
Robinhood has the "Gold" account with perks like 3% cash back on their credit card and 3% towards your annual IRA contribution.

Would you invest everything with Robinhood?
I have all 4 for various reasons. I moved all of my IRA money to Robinhood for the 3% match. My investments stayed exactly the same and I just got free money. Unless you are morally opposed to Robinhood or think they might offer more than 3% some day, it's silly not to move money there.

I would move my taxable brokerage accounts there too if they offered a 3% match. I think they're offering 0.75% right now. I'm holding out for more.
 
The performance tab on Vanguard is superior to other brokerages. [imho]
I like to see the data over time and how much return i am getting from equities vs bonds each month.
Plus i can spot check on current performance vs Dec 31, YYYY.
But those perks you mention are interesting.
 
I don't understand how all the big names have had years and years and have billions upon billions of dollars but yet still can't find it within them to hire a couple software engineers to make their apps even half as usable as Robinhood. It's almost like they're doing it intentionally at this point.

This is why I have ALL my money in Robinhood. The other apps are so embarrassingly bad and clunky I refuse to support that level of indifference towards usability.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will never use robinhood again after the shenanigans they pulled during the runup of $GME

Robinhood also participates in payment for order flow, just an overall shady company.
This doesn't really matter unless you're day trading...If you just buy and hold (which you should do), it's pennies and less than your index fund expense ratio depending on your volumes. And if you're a serious trader, you need to be on IB not unserious accounts like Robinhood.
 
I have my money manager at Merrill, a 401k w vanguard and another with fidelity. I find the vanguard app and website easier than the rest. As far as returns Merrill>vanguard>fidelity
 
I was a Vanguard customer for 30 years, but recently made the switch to Fidelity for two primary reasons: Fidelity offers an HSA option, and I can use my Fidelity Cash Management Account (CMA) for all of my automatic bill payments. At Vanguard, I had to keep my HSA separately and maintain a bank checking account for paying bills.


The only outside account I still use is a Chase Sapphire card, which offers excellent travel benefits. My goal was to simplify our finances and make things as straightforward as possible for my wife if something were to happen to me. The transition to Fidelity was seamless, and their customer service representatives have been excellent.


I’ve been a buy-and-hold index-fund investor throughout my entire investing career. I got hooked on John Bogle’s philosophy years ago, and my portfolio now consists of just three ETFs. Investing is as complicated as you decide to make it. “Wealth managers” are happy to convince you that it’s rocket science.


If you choose to use an advisor who charges a 1% annual fee on a $2,000,000 portfolio, you could end up about $2.2 million poorer after 25 years, assuming a 7% compound return. That’s some expensive hand-holding.
 
Last edited:
I don't day trade, but I do sell covered calls and cash or portfolio-secured puts quite often. Doing this on any other app than Robinhood is a cluster-f$#@ of pages, under-sized tables, excessively cluttered info, etc.

I don't do any investing on a computer, I use my phone for everything so it does make a difference having a crappy app vs a good one.
 
If you choose to use an advisor who charges a 1% annual fee on a $2,000,000 portfolio, you could end up about $2.2 million poorer after 25 years, assuming a 7% compound return. That’s some expensive hand-holding.
My area is packed with million plus homes owned by wealth managers, advisors, planners, whatever. That should be enough to make people question who is actually benefitting from their services.
 
I was a Vanguard customer for 30 years, but recently made the switch to Fidelity for two primary reasons: Fidelity offers an HSA option, and I can use my Fidelity Cash Management Account (CMA) for all of my automatic bill payments. At Vanguard, I had to keep my HSA separately and maintain a bank checking account for paying bills.


The only outside account I still use is a Chase Sapphire card, which offers excellent travel benefits. My goal was to simplify our finances and make things as straightforward as possible for my wife if something were to happen to me. The transition to Fidelity was seamless, and their customer service representatives have been excellent.


I’ve been a buy-and-hold index-fund investor throughout my entire investing career. I got hooked on John Bogle’s philosophy years ago, and my portfolio now consists of just three ETFs. Investing is as complicated as you decide to make it. “Wealth managers” are happy to convince you that it’s rocket science.


If you choose to use an advisor who charges a 1% annual fee on a $2,000,000 portfolio, you could end up about $2.2 million poorer after 25 years, assuming a 7% compound return. That’s some expensive hand-holding.
The fidelity debit card is especially useful if you travel overseas and need to use local cash. Pretty much most of the ATM machines with Visa/mastercard/Plus logo work. The rate is fabulous. Fidelity claims to have 2% transaction fee but I noticed that the final exchange rate pretty much the market rate. I believe Schwab has a similar one.
 
I’ve been with fidelity for over a decade. Brokerage is easy to manage. Their Debit card is free withdrawals on all ATMs foreign and domestic. Their credit card is 2% cash back, no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees.

My 401k is with Schwab. The interface is not as easy to use as fidelity, imo.
 
I use both Vanguard and Merrill - but prefer the Merrill platform overall. Since I have B of A also, the combined assets in B of A and Merrill make for a rewards bump on B of A products and credit cards - plus it's easy to transfer money between the two.
 
I think we’ll face higher fees going forward as brokerages gear up to address AI security threats. For now we have to trust that they’re on top of things since there aren’t any practical alternatives.
 
I think we’ll face higher fees going forward as brokerages gear up to address AI security threats. For now we have to trust that they’re on top of things since there aren’t any practical alternatives.

How do you figure? What AI threat are you worried about?

The only AI threat to my portfolio I see on the horizon is the absurd valuations and inevitable AI bubble correction that might be a crash.
 
How do you figure? What AI threat are you worried about?

The only AI threat to my portfolio I see on the horizon is the absurd valuations and inevitable AI bubble correction that might be a crash.




Per Claude:


Yes — this is a real and growing concern, not just hype. A few specific ways it plays out for brokerages:

Attack-side risks

• Coordinated "swarm" attacks use many autonomous agents probing and exploiting systems in parallel, sharing findings in real time. No single action looks suspicious, so traditional signature-based defenses miss the pattern until it's too late.
• Frontier AI models can now find new vulnerabilities much faster than human researchers, shrinking the time defenders have to patch before exploitation.
• Bot swarms are increasingly blamed for automated credential-stuffing, account takeover, and DDoS traffic aimed at brokerage APIs and trading platforms.

Market-integrity risks (specific to brokerages)

• Regulators, including in an FCA horizon-scan report, have flagged that swarms of AI agents could coordinate to manipulate markets by manufacturing a false narrative around a company — a synthetic "consensus cascade" that undermines the information markets rely on. 
• Separately, U.S. lawmakers have raised concerns that if many AI trading agents are trained on similar data or respond similarly to market signals, they may produce correlated trading decisions — herding behavior that could increase volatility or amplify market stress, especially when agents trade autonomously and at scale. 

Defense side
Industry response is leaning toward "fight fire with fire" — zero-trust segmentation, automated red-teaming, and AI systems monitoring for anomalous agent behavior at machine speed, since human analysts alone can't keep pace.

Net: brokerages face both a classic cybersecurity problem (faster, more coordinated attacks) and a newer market-structure problem (correlated or manipulative agent behavior). Regulators are actively studying both, though concrete rules are still catching up to the technology.




• Banking, healthcare, and telecom are among the sectors responding with the largest security budget increases, with HSBC reporting cybersecurity as its single biggest operating cost, spending hundreds of millions of pounds a year.


• Brokerages and market regulators (FCA, US lawmakers) have specifically flagged AI-driven trading manipulation and swarm attacks as reasons to invest in real-time, behavior-based monitoring rather than relying on periodic audits.





The catch:





• 77% of organizations increased cybersecurity budgets in 2026, yet 63% still experienced at least one significant breach in the past year — more money isn't automatically translating into fewer incidents, partly due to AI governance gaps and CISO burnout.





So: yes, spending is up and AI threats are a top driver, but firms across finance (brokerages included) are candidly saying the increases may still be lagging how fast the threat is evolving







• Banking, healthcare, and telecom are among the sectors responding with the largest security budget increases, with HSBC reporting cybersecurity as its single biggest operating cost, spending hundreds of millions of pounds a year.


• Brokerages and market regulators (FCA, US lawmakers) have specifically flagged AI-driven trading manipulation and swarm attacks as reasons to invest in real-time, behavior-based monitoring rather than relying on periodic audits.





The catch:





• 77% of organizations increased cybersecurity budgets in 2026, yet 63% still experienced at least one significant breach in the past year — more money isn't automatically translating into fewer incidents, partly due to AI governance gaps and CISO burnout.





So: yes, spending is up and AI threats are a top driver, but firms across finance (brokerages included) are candidly saying the increases may still be lagging how fast the threat is evolving
 
Per Claude:


Yes — this is a real and growing concern, not just hype. A few specific ways it plays out for brokerages:

Attack-side risks

• Coordinated "swarm" attacks use many autonomous agents probing and exploiting systems in parallel, sharing findings in real time. No single action looks suspicious, so traditional signature-based defenses miss the pattern until it's too late.
• Frontier AI models can now find new vulnerabilities much faster than human researchers, shrinking the time defenders have to patch before exploitation.
• Bot swarms are increasingly blamed for automated credential-stuffing, account takeover, and DDoS traffic aimed at brokerage APIs and trading platforms.

Market-integrity risks (specific to brokerages)

• Regulators, including in an FCA horizon-scan report, have flagged that swarms of AI agents could coordinate to manipulate markets by manufacturing a false narrative around a company — a synthetic "consensus cascade" that undermines the information markets rely on. 
• Separately, U.S. lawmakers have raised concerns that if many AI trading agents are trained on similar data or respond similarly to market signals, they may produce correlated trading decisions — herding behavior that could increase volatility or amplify market stress, especially when agents trade autonomously and at scale. 

Defense side
Industry response is leaning toward "fight fire with fire" — zero-trust segmentation, automated red-teaming, and AI systems monitoring for anomalous agent behavior at machine speed, since human analysts alone can't keep pace.

Net: brokerages face both a classic cybersecurity problem (faster, more coordinated attacks) and a newer market-structure problem (correlated or manipulative agent behavior). Regulators are actively studying both, though concrete rules are still catching up to the technology.




• Banking, healthcare, and telecom are among the sectors responding with the largest security budget increases, with HSBC reporting cybersecurity as its single biggest operating cost, spending hundreds of millions of pounds a year.


• Brokerages and market regulators (FCA, US lawmakers) have specifically flagged AI-driven trading manipulation and swarm attacks as reasons to invest in real-time, behavior-based monitoring rather than relying on periodic audits.





The catch:





• 77% of organizations increased cybersecurity budgets in 2026, yet 63% still experienced at least one significant breach in the past year — more money isn't automatically translating into fewer incidents, partly due to AI governance gaps and CISO burnout.





So: yes, spending is up and AI threats are a top driver, but firms across finance (brokerages included) are candidly saying the increases may still be lagging how fast the threat is evolving







• Banking, healthcare, and telecom are among the sectors responding with the largest security budget increases, with HSBC reporting cybersecurity as its single biggest operating cost, spending hundreds of millions of pounds a year.


• Brokerages and market regulators (FCA, US lawmakers) have specifically flagged AI-driven trading manipulation and swarm attacks as reasons to invest in real-time, behavior-based monitoring rather than relying on periodic audits.





The catch:





• 77% of organizations increased cybersecurity budgets in 2026, yet 63% still experienced at least one significant breach in the past year — more money isn't automatically translating into fewer incidents, partly due to AI governance gaps and CISO burnout.





So: yes, spending is up and AI threats are a top driver, but firms across finance (brokerages included) are candidly saying the increases may still be lagging how fast the threat is evolving
You asked an AI chatbot how it was going to hack your portfolio? And that was the answer? I thought they were supposed to be sneakier than that.
 
The Schwab website is fine. The app is easy to use. If you want a higher level app for trading they have Thinkorswim app. Plus the fee free ATM.

That being said, they place a hold on all your incoming cash transfers into the bank account for like 3 days. Annoying.

And, I once walked into a branch to deposit stocks in paper certificate and walked out spooked with my certificate. The guy looked at it like an alien artifact and told me he wasn’t sure it was a stock they handle but he could try. He had never heard of the company even though it is one the SP500 household names. I took the certificate back and called Schwab to tell them about the clown show they have going on that branch. They pushed hard to get me to hand over the certificate to the clueless guy, but no way I was doing that. I ended up making the deposit directly with the company at the transfer agent.

I have Fidelity for my HSA because it’s the only broker I could find with no fees. The website seems kind of clunky for my liking. If I used it more often I would probably get used to it, but the couple of times a year I look at it, it’s always a struggle to find what I want.

No Robinhood for me. Don’t have a good feeling about it. Whenever I see the CEO doing an interview I get the heebie jeebies.
 
Last edited:
I have Schwab , vanguard, and fidelity. I like the cash management at fidelity and investor checking account at Schwab. No atm fees for both including when traveling internationally. Fidelity cma is better since you can buy fdllx in states with high taxes and it auto liquidates. Schwab is useful since their checking account is compatible with plaid. Im getting an American Express platinum soon you get discount based on assets and it’s 1.1 cents per point cash back. Since I have these accounts at Schwab and fidelity i closed my bank accounts. I just use capital one checking account for depositing cash since I can deposit at stores like cvs and walgreen tok.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Schwab website is fine. The app is easy to use. If you want a higher level app for trading they have Thinkorswim app. Plus the fee free ATM.

That being said, they place a hold on all your incoming cash transfers into the bank account for like 3 days. Annoying.

And, I once walked into a branch to deposit stocks in paper certificate and walked out spooked with my certificate. The guy looked at it like an alien artifact and told me he wasn’t sure it was a stock they handle but he could try. He had never heard of the company even though it is one the SP500 household names. I took the certificate back and called Schwab to tell them about the clown show they have going on that branch. They pushed hard to get me to hand over the certificate to the clueless guy, but no way I was doing that. I ended up making the deposit directly with the company at the transfer agent.

I have Fidelity for my HSA because it’s the only broker I could find with no fees. The website seems kind of clunky for my liking. If I used it more often I would probably get used to it, but the couple of times a year I look at it, it’s always a struggle to find what I want.

No Robinhood for me. Don’t have a good feeling about it. Whenever I see the CEO doing an interview I get the heebie jeebies.
I’m shocked anyone over the age of 30 and over the net worth of $10k uses Robinhood. I always thought it was essentially just a meme app.

Schwab is just fine. Easy clean layout. Physical locations in a pinch or if you need to hand physical documents (I’ve used them before). Respectable financial institution. There’s not much to think about beyond that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pgg
I’m shocked anyone over the age of 30 and over the net worth of $10k uses Robinhood. I always thought it was essentially just a meme app.

Schwab is just fine. Easy clean layout. Physical locations in a pinch or if you need to hand physical documents (I’ve used them before). Respectable financial institution. There’s not much to think about beyond that.
My "play money" is in Robinhood. I think Schwab and Fidelity have the best websites.