Tulane: Why ranked so low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vellaboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the US News rankings don't really matter, but why is Tulane not in the top 50 for either research or primary care? I interviewed there recently and was impressed by their program: good teachers, satisfied students, clinical opportunites in a near-legendary hospital, strong international focus.

The only part of the US News rankings I pay much attention to is the school's reputation according to residency directors. But I can't even find out what Tulane's is because Tulane isn't in the top 50. Anybody know why not? I know they're not very big on research but there must be more reasons. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They're ranked 56, and I don't care, even though I'm going there. I believe Tulane has a reputation for turning out excellent clinicians, and they are one of the fastest growing research programs as well. Because of the special clinical opportunities at Charity, I think Tulane is less of a primary care school, and also less of a research school: they turn out excellent clinicians, in all fields, consistently. I believe they have a good rep with RD's considering the fairly impressive match list (four in derm in a recent year!), and I am just psyched to have the opportunity to go there-- rankings be damned. And anyway, it's in the top half - easily - considering there are 125 allopathic schools. That's good enough for me.

Oh, and the reputation with RD's score is 3.3 or something like that.

Roger that. You're right that Charity offers opportunities you're not likely to find elsewhere. I was also I'm impressed with Tulane's MD/MPH program that you can swing in 4 years + one summer. There's a very good chance I'll be seeing you around there, Sir (or Madam) Stinkycheese.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know I hear different things about Tulane. Some people say it's an up and coming program and they have excellent clinical opportunities. Then other people say that their clinical rotations are done at LSU-NO and you really don't get as much clinical training as you would at a state school. I really want to know which side of the story is true; since it is a very, very, expensive school.

vellaboy said:
Roger that. You're right that Charity offers opportunities you're not likely to find elsewhere. I was also I'm impressed with Tulane's MD/MPH program that you can swing in 4 years + one summer. There's a very good chance I'll be seeing you around there, Sir (or Madam) Stinkycheese.

are you serious 4 years plus 1 summer?! UCSD has it for 8 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!woha!

AlternateSome1 said:
I believe you are confusing MD/PHD with MD/MPH.

oh thats right i read it as MD/Phd

Kal-El said:
You know I hear different things about Tulane. Some people say it's an up and coming program and they have excellent clinical opportunities. Then other people say that their clinical rotations are done at LSU-NO and you really don't get as much clinical training as you would at a state school. I really want to know which side of the story is true; since it is a very, very, expensive school.

Tulane and LSU are pretty different, pre-clinically. Some rotation sites are shared, but Tulane also has private hospitals that LSU doesn't rotate through, such as Tulane Univ Hospital and the Children's Hospital. According to Tulane students I've talked to, the clerkships are pretty separate, even if the institutions are somewhat the same.

Tulane is ranked so low because they are the only school to reject me so far. :thumbdown: And I really wanted to get an interview at least so I would have an excuse to go to New Orleans!

Mistress S said:
Tulane is ranked so low because they are the only school to reject me so far. :thumbdown: And I really wanted to get an interview at least so I would have an excuse to go to New Orleans!

FWIW, I think it's wack you got rejected, but I am sure you'll get some great acceptances.