Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fourthyear

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the interview trail, I've been hearing some people who are concerned about things they heard about Tulane. So I thought I'd give you a view from the inside and thought at this point more people may be reading this forum than scutwork.com reviews.

I am a student at Tulane and have done several outside surgery rotations at other excellent programs. In comparison, Tulane residents have a lot more autonomy at Charity Hospital than most other hospitals, which I see as a huge strength in developing decision making skills. Yes, there is scut at Charity, but the patients are great and the pathology is truly unique compared to what I've seen at some other places, so I think it's a decent tradeoff. And there is very minimal scut at Tulane Medical Center, so you do get a break from it. Residents ARE getting 1 day/week off on average this past year, which is a new thing for many programs. Comradare seems good - many residents I worked with made plans for dinner or other social activities with other resident friends for their weekends and evenings off. Many have families too. Residents get awesome fellowships if they want them too.

The weak years of the program were during the time that there was no official chairman. The current chairman is making visible effort to improve the program back to the level it used to be when it was known as one of the best places to train.

Bottom line - my class had a large amout of surgery applicants this year and last year - the second most popular specialty next to Internal Medicine - I think this says a lot of the enjoyable experience we have at Tulane as students (despite the fact that many of us did the 100+ work hours in our student rotations in the past). I invite any other interviewees to share their hopefully postitive impressions of the program so we can spread some good rumors here about a great program.
 
I agree with the previous post. As most of us have seen to this point in the interview trail, people have biased opinions for just about every program, and Tulane is no different in that regard.

The negative comments that I hear about Tulane on the interview trail from other applicants is information that is over 2 years old. I was very impressed on my interview day, and I'm sure that most of you interviewing there will enjoy it also. So far, of the 6 programs I've interviewed, they have stood out as being the program to offer the most autonomy, and quite possibly most dedicated to resident education. This year's chief residents have some impressive positions for next year.

Added bonus....there is no snow on the ground in New Orleans right now. Lifestyle is something that I hope each of you consider.
 
Just because I like to add fuel to the fire ...

There are a couple of things that concerned me when I interviewed at Tulane:
- too much resident-resident teaching in the OR
- not enough attending supervision in the trauma bay
- questionable resident comraderie
- weak (but improving) laproscopic dept.
- weak cardiac surg. dept.

There are other things but I think you get the picture. I am open to more discussion via private msg if you want the nitty-gritty.