Tungsten C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

Izlude_Tingel

Hi,

I wanted some opinions from people who know alot about PDA. I did some searching around and talked to some people. I'm going to buy a PDA soon. I had my eyes set on the Tungsten C. Although it is a bit pricey I think it will have what I need for awhile. My only question is there a newer model coming out soon that I should wait for or should I just get it now. I start my third year in June, so I don't know waiting until June to get some newer model or just get the Tungsten C now. Any input would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

The nice thing about PalmOS PDAs is that they become obsolete very slowly. I know many people still using the Palm III series in their day-to-day work. Buy it now and don't worry about it.
--Ari

Technology is a progression of new devices that render all those before it obsolete. Whether you get it now or get it in six months it will become obsolete. Get it now. Who knows if you'll be alive tommorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have a Tungsten C, and I totally love it. I don't know if there is a new one coming out soon, but there are only a few things that they might do to improve the current Tungsten C model. First, they could include a stereo headphone adapter so you could use it as an mp3 player. Second, they could improve the Web Browser (this is of course a software thing). Finally, change the pen holder mechanism so the stylus doesn't fall out as easily.

Other than these minor quibbles, I really enjoy the Tungsten C. Highly recommended.

With that said, Palm's tech support is very bad. One of my friends bought a Tungsten C and has some issues with the WiFi. Palm has not been very good about getting those issues fixed. I also have another friend whose Palm m515 cradle doesn't work. Again, Palm was not very helpful. I addition, I have personally had bad experiences. My first palm was a Vx. After about a year and some odd months the power button stopped working. The support people sent me a refurbished model that had some sort of hardware issue that caused it to keep rebooting. Very problematic. My solution was to buy the Tungsten C instead of dealing with their customer support again. Here's hoping that I won't have to again. *knocks on wood*

So, in my opinion, aside from the customer support, the Tungsten C is awesome.

-rompy

If you're looking at Palm OS, you should also take a look at the Sony's. They just released 3 new models --2 with WiFi, mp3 support, higher res. screen.

www.cnet.com has a lot of useful information on tech stuff including handhelds.