Tuoro College of Pharmacy begging for students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelz165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMG_6016.JPG

My friend is currently at a SMP program attempting to get into the DO school there. They Tuoro COP sent this email practically BEGGING for applicants. Even forgiving missing core classes. Jesus what a sham this profession has become. Thankfully it seems students are finally realizing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Are they only asking for applications from students with a masters degree. My goodness, I entered pharmacy school without even a bachelor's degree. They are aiming for students with pretty fancy credentials.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't get why they are asking for MS degree holders also like they are trying to be selective.

You can put lipstick on a dead pig's rotten, maggot-ridden carcass

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible that they are less selective with MS students the same way that masters programs are generally less selective with PharmD grads. In both cases, the student has a degree that required extensive study. If they graduate with an MS or PharmD degree, it is a safe bet that they will be an appropriate candidate for the other program if they have an interest.

They may be much more selective when it comes to BS students or students like me with only prerequisites.

I'm just saying, I got into a pharmacy school with reasonably strict admission standards. Nothing in this email suggests that I even would have been able to get into this school.

Reactions: 1 user
OMG how are you at 13% battery!? I'd be freaking out at that point.

Reactions: 4 users
And why do you keep location on?

If it's the Touro in NY, i believe they did not have good passing rates on NAPLEX. There are million pharm schools in NY now, i could see them needing quality applicants

And who uses Sprint? What's wrong with you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is it possible that they are less selective with MS students the same way that masters programs are generally less selective with PharmD grads. In both cases, the student has a degree that required extensive study. If they graduate with an MS or PharmD degree, it is a safe bet that they will be an appropriate candidate for the other program if they have an interest.

They may be much more selective when it comes to BS students or students like me with only prerequisites.

I'm just saying, I got into a pharmacy school with reasonably strict admission standards. Nothing in this email suggests that I even would have been able to get into this school.
There are no admission standards when it comes to pharmacy schools anymore.
And everyone (outside the complete *****s with 2.4's on the prepharmacy forums) is avoiding it like the plague.

Touro figured out that they could siphon 3 or 4 more years worth of student loan money from their SMP/Post-Bacc students by diverting the complete idiots into their pharmacy program. Why siphon student loan money off gullible students for one year (via their SMP program) when you can siphon even more. It's a win-win for the school!

you need to charge your phone bro.

There are no admission standards when it comes to pharmacy schools anymore.
And everyone (outside the complete *****s with 2.4's on the prepharmacy forums) is avoiding it like the plague.

Touro figured out that they could siphon 3 or 4 more years worth of student loan money from their SMP/Post-Bacc students by diverting the complete idiots into their pharmacy program. Why siphon student loan money off gullible students for one year (via their SMP program) when you can siphon even more. It's a win-win for the school!
Why do you think students in masters programs are gullible? You don't even know what degree they're pursuing. Also, pharmacy is expanding as a profession. I'm happy with my choice and I know a P1 and a P2 that are going to do great things in their future careers. Stop being so judgmental.

Just to clarify, are they looking for:

A. Students with MS degrees to apply for the PharmD program

or

B. Students interested in obtaining an MS degree at TCOP?

Most posters are assuming A, but option B seems more realistic and is plausible based on the wording of the email

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think students in masters programs are gullible? You don't even know what degree they're pursuing. Also, pharmacy is expanding as a profession. I'm happy with my choice and I know a P1 and a P2 that are going to do great things in their future careers. Stop being so judgmental.
Jesus Christ. Every time I make a critical comment, some snowflake gets offended and becomes defensive. Before people get triggered about a comment I make, maybe they should look up stuff I am talking about before they post BS on these forums.

OP said that his friend was in the SMP (Special Master's Program), which is geared towards students who want to enter medical school unlike most other traditional master's program.

SMP/Post-Bacc programs serve only to (a) make money off desperate students who couldn't get into medical school with their current grades and (b) serve as a testing ground for students who may have potential. Heck, just google search the posts on SDN and you'll get even more info about how some of these SMP/Post-Bacc programs take advantage of students. A ton of students enroll in these programs, but only a handful out of each program gets admitted to the medical schools. Do you actually think people would take out 30-45K so they can just get a Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medicine Certificatee? You don't even get a Master's degree in some of these programs.

So I stand by my comment that TOURO is trying to make money off gullible students with more debt than common sense.

So did I offend you? Maybe you should use google before you get worked up. If someone is going to get offended by something I post, I would hope they know what they're mad about. Getting worked up when you don't fully understand what is going on makes you look like a *****. If you have time to post vapid, meaningless comments that serve no purpose other than to boost your fragile ego, than maybe you should work on being a better pharmacist. It always seems like the least intelligent people on this forum get the most defensive when a thread critical of pharmacy is made.

Jesus Christ. Every time I make a critical comment, some snowflake gets offended and becomes defensive. Before people get triggered about a comment I make, maybe they should look up stuff I am talking about before they post BS on these forums.
The term snowflake is primarily used as an insult by the alt-right. You may be unaware of that association (or maybe you're leaning into it). Just thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and let you know.

I would want to know so that I could edit. For fragile egos, I would refer you to your response to the statement, "stop being so judgmental" :)

Edit: Also, the email is addressed to MS students. I doubt it was only sent to SMP students. That was just your assumption. (Your post did answer my initial question about where/why you were overstepping in terms of your assumptions though. Thanks, I guess)

Last edited:
The term snowflake is primarily used as an insult by the alt-right. You may be unaware of that association (or maybe you're leaning into it). Just thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and let you know.

I would want to know so that I could edit.
You have got to be kidding me? I am just dying laughing from this post. You are precious aren't you. Do you need to go to your safe space?

It's funny that whenever I provide you a sound argument, you come back and try to smear me. You can tell someone is really losing the debate when they resort to ad hominem attacks over and over again. Are you mad that I made a logical argument that you cannot counter? How many more posts do I have to make before you fully resort to Godwin's Law? You are actually telling me that the word popularized by Fight Club (then popularly used in the Trump subreddit) is somehow equivalent to the racist, sexist, or homophobic words that have been used in actual abusive scenarios such as slavery, genocide, or physical violence?

Last edited:

I believe that he's using it in the context of "special snowflake syndrome" in which people believe that they are naturally gifted, talented, hard-working, better than everyone else, a winner by default, and can do no wrong - which is unfortunately the case of many pre-pharms and even some pharmacy students. They're raised with participation trophies and never allowed to fail. They believe they just have to "be the best" and they won't be affected by saturation. Their acceptance into pharmacy schools with a <2.6 GPA, <30 PCAT, and no work experience only validates their misplaced perception of success when in fact they've effectively fallen for a scam.

You are actually telling me that the word popularly used in the Trump subreddit is somehow equivalent to the racist, sexist, or homophobic words that have been used in actual abusive scenarios such as slavery, genocide, or physical violence?
I'm not saying it's the same, but I wouldn't associate myself with it. I assume from your response that the association doesn't bother you.

You started your post about 3min after my post and did not include my edit. Forgive me for just reposting:
Edit: Also, the email is addressed to MS students. I doubt it was only sent to SMP students. That was just your assumption. (Your post did answer my initial question about where/why you were overstepping in terms of your assumptions though. Thanks, I guess)

Last edited:
I believe that he's using it in the context of "special snowflake syndrome" in which people believe that they are naturally gifted, talented, hard-working, better than everyone else, a winner by default, and can do no wrong - which is unfortunately the case of many pre-pharms and even some pharmacy students. They're raised with participation trophies and never allowed to fail. They believe they just have to "be the best" and they won't be affected by saturation. Their acceptance into pharmacy schools with a <2.6 GPA, <30 PCAT, and no work experience only validates their misplaced perception of success when in fact they've effectively fallen for a scam.
Do you know anyone like that? That sounds like a character from a family television drama.

I don't think that person could get into a pharmacy school; but, if they do, good for them. Sometimes people need a break.

Everyone has experienced failure. Every generation has experienced failure. It's universal. People who think otherwise have yet to look beyond themselves. Life is just failure after failure after failure. Tenacity is what sets successful people apart.

I'm not saying it's the same, but I wouldn't associate myself with it. I assume from your response that the association doesn't bother you.

You started your post about 3min after my post and did not include my edit. Forgive me for just reposting:

Then you better dis-associate yourself from the English language. Remember, the English were the ones who enslaved and colonized vast swathes of Africa and Asia where they conducted many atrocities under the banner of the British Empire. A socially-conscious person like you wouldn't want to associate yourself with such a language. That would be hypocritical!

And what proof do you have that TOURO sent this email out to all their students in their Masters-level programs. The OP only stated that his friend in the SMP program got it. Are you saying they sent this email out to students in the Graduate Schools of Education, Technology, and Jewish Studies? Or are you just making up stuff without credible sources to back up your claim.

Last edited:
And what proof do you have that TOURO sent this email out to all their students in their Masters-level programs. The OP only stated that his friend in the SMP program got it. Are you saying they sent this email out to students in the Graduate Schools of Education, Technology, and Jewish Studies? Or are you just making up stuff without credible sources to back up your claim.
It was always your choice. Sorry if you are embarrassed (if this is just your personality, hopefully we can steer clear of 5 guys references)

To get to the meat of your post, I have the fact that it is addressed to MS students generally instead of SMP students specifically. I assume it was somewhat targeted, but there is no way for us to know exactly which programs received this email. All of the unsupported assumptions have been on your end. If you care, you can try to back those assumptions up.

Last edited:
It was always your choice. Sorry if you are embarrassed (if this is just your personality, hopefully we can steer clear of 5 guys references)

To get to the meat of your post, I have the fact that it is addressed to MS students generally instead of SMP students specifically. I assume it was somewhat targeted, but there is no way for us to know exactly which programs received this email. All of the unsupported assumptions have been on your end. If you care, you can try to back those assumptions up.
I'm sorry. Is that first line supposed to be English? What's the context? What is that line a response to?

So basically, you forgot what the debate was about. I made a joke about how TOURO was scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to get money out of students gullible enough to enter their pharmacy program. Then I said the most gullible were likely SMP students who are making a high risk gamble by paying an absurd tuition for the low chance of getting into medical school. You were the one who assumed that I meant all MS students at TOURO were gullible. (Which is actually true, you have to be an idiot to get an bachelor's, MS, or PharmD degree at a private college when you can get it at a public college for a fraction of the price).

And you haven't provided any links or sources that prove your unfounded claim that TOURO is recruiting MS students because they are stronger candidates. If you're gonna make such a claim, then the least you can do is provide a reliable source for it.

I'm sorry. Is that first line supposed to be English? What's the context? What is that line a response to?

So basically, you forgot what the debate was about. I made a joke about how TOURO was scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to get money out of students gullible enough to enter their pharmacy program. Then I said the most gullible were likely SMP students who are making a high risk gamble by paying an absurd tuition for the low chance of getting into medical school. You were the one who assumed that I meant all MS students at TOURO were gullible. (Which is actually true, you have to be an idiot to get an bachelor's, MS, or PharmD degree at a private college when you can get it at a public college for a fraction of the price).

And you haven't provided any links or sources that prove your unfounded claim that TOURO is recruiting MS students because they are stronger candidates. If you're gonna make such a claim, then the least you can do is provide a reliable source for it.
Did you forget your post :) or maybe it's just another "joke." Okay, looks like were going with most of your statements being jokes. I'll not take any errors too seriously starting now. Have at it bearing in mind that you are talking about real people

Just to clarify, are they looking for:

A. Students with MS degrees to apply for the PharmD program

or

B. Students interested in obtaining an MS degree at TCOP?

Most posters are assuming A, but option B seems more realistic and is plausible based on the wording of the email

My friend is in the SMP program. They sent out a blanket email to the SMP students asking if any wanted to apply to their COP program as a safety/backup. One person decided to take the bait and this is the screenshot my friend sent me of them begging her to convince other students.

Tell your friend they are accepting everyone at Midwestern in PHX. This is not a safety back either... Tier 1 education that's easier to get into than the local SIZZLER!

I've already THOROUGHLY convinced her not to attend pharmacy school whatsoever. If MD/DO school doesnt work out she's going to do PA like a sensible person.

desperate pharmacy programs....
I'm going to enjoy watching them get even more desperate in the coming years.

Could you elaborate on the ways that pharmacy is expanding? I would really like to hear your insight on this issue.

Could you elaborate on the ways that pharmacy is expanding? I would really like to hear your insight on this issue.
Addition of community pharmacy residency. Those folks are being taught some fancy techniques how to count by 6 or 7. The most talented ones are mastering the art of 8 and 9.

Addition of community pharmacy residency. Those folks are being taught some fancy techniques how to count by 6 or 7. The most talented ones are mastering the art of 8 and 9.
In community, point of service monitoring and expansion of collaborative practice agreements. I've been involved in working under these agreements and also in drafting some of them. Smaller things have changed as well. More vaccinations are being administered and a greater focus on CMS rating has resulted in adherence programs.

Last edited: