turned down for an interview - anyway to ask them to reconsider?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zola

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got an email that I was not going to be offered an interview for one of the programs I was very interested in - is there anyway acceptable way to ask them to reconsider? Would I email the program director or someone else? I do not want to be annoying or waste anyone's time but I guess I am thinking I have nothing to lose. The worst possible outcome is that they say no, you are annoying and please do not email us again but in that case I am in the same spot I am now, thought slightly embarassed. It is so late in the season that I am worried there aren't any dates left anyway so maybe this is all for naught. Anyone ever done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recently got an email that I was not going to be offered an interview for one of the programs I was very interested in - is there anyway acceptable way to ask them to reconsider? Would I email the program director or someone else? I do not want to be annoying or waste anyone's time but I guess I am thinking I have nothing to lose. The worst possible outcome is that they say no, you are annoying and please do not email us again but in that case I am in the same spot I am now, thought slightly embarassed. It is so late in the season that I am worried there aren't any dates left anyway so maybe this is all for naught. Anyone ever done this?

I think it would be both cool and ballsy if you did it and would love to hear how it goes. I think most would not do it, but then again most have no balls. If you do it and they turn you down , you still have props from me. They may say no but life opens alot of doors for people who have some guts. I say go for it

I don't think I've made it through an interview season without someone asking for reconsideration after being declined. You can either contact the PC or PD to make the request. Express why you are interested in that particular program and why your application may be stronger than it may appear of first glance.

You are right that there is no harm in asking, and rather than not having any interview dates remaining, programs may have vacancies in their schedules due to cancellations at this point. But understand that if you get this chance, you will be facing an uphill battle. Go to the interview prepared to sell yourself.

I get emails like this virtually daily, so you won't be unique. As you mention, it's unlikely to change anything but you never know and you really don't have anything to lose. If you've added something (like another publication, or a new board score, or a new letter), then you should definitely mention that.

I have noticed an increase in the following: Email me and tell me "I applied on Sept 3rd and still haven't heard, wondering if you could tell me the status of my application.", when I actually sent you a rejection email weeks ago. Perhaps people really lose / miss the email, but I wonder if people think that it somehow looks better to appear to have never received a rejection email rather than request a re-review of your previously rejected application. News flash: It doesn't -- it just makes you look disorganized and that isn't a good quality for a possible intern.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm on the fence, though the possibility of props from Doowai is enticing :)

I guess I just don't like the feeling of being in this sort of inferior position (I know, who does like it...) - it feels much better when programs tell you it is up to you if you want to come!

I also don't really have an angle to take for the request - don't have anything new to add (no papers, scores, or letters in the past two months) and I think my application is pretty representative, other than not knowing what is in my letters, and a point about my dean's letter that is not worth getting into because it would require too much background to explain.

I am very interested in the program, but really I just want to be able to check it out to see if I like it. It is objectively a great program - the PD for our program here recommended it and I definitely trust his opinion but I can't get a good read from the website and other materials. The big bonus is that my sister is a resident in a different program at the same institution so it would be great to live near her (I know the PD will not find that a convincing argument!).

It hadn't occurred to me to pretend not to get the email...interesting tactic. I think I will NOT do that :)

I'll update with an outcome, eventually!

Just do it. You literally have nothing to lose except the time it takes to write the note. You have everything to gain.

zola,
If you could get an attending (preferably one with some type of connection to this place) to ask them to reconsider you, that might be way more effective. I have done this once and I did get an interview...the attending had done residency with the dept. chair at the other school way back in the day. I don't know if it was a courtesy interview or if they actually ranked me pretty high, since I ended up ranking several other places higher, ultimately.

It depends on why you were rejected. If you were rejected because they really believed that you weren't competitive enough (ouch--but we've all been there, done that)--then it's not worth it even if someone does hook you up with an interview because the committee will know how you got the interview.
But, if you think you were rejected because the program just thought it was unlikely that you would go there, despite being a very competitive candidate for the program, then you should definitely go for a reconsideration--since it sounds like you really wanted an interview to that program.

The best way to do this is to find out where the PD lives and politely inform them that you will not leave his/her front yard until an interview offer is extended.

Bring a shottie as the cops invariably become involved in your petition.

Good luck :thumbup:

The best way to do this is to find out where the PD lives and politely inform them that you will not leave his/her front yard until an interview offer is extended.

Bring a shottie as the cops invariably become involved in your petition.

Well, I was considering going to his yard in a trench coat with a boom box and playing "In Your Eyes".....

but you're right, politely informing him that I will not leave is probably the better approach.
:)

I have noticed an increase in the following: Email me and tell me "I applied on Sept 3rd and still haven't heard, wondering if you could tell me the status of my application.", when I actually sent you a rejection email weeks ago. Perhaps people really lose / miss the email, but I wonder if people think that it somehow looks better to appear to have never received a rejection email rather than request a re-review of your previously rejected application. News flash: It doesn't -- it just makes you look disorganized and that isn't a good quality for a possible intern.

I'm surprised folks are doing this -- it's a bit unethical to not acknowledge the rejection -- the proper thing would be to ask for a reconsideration. But it makes sense. Writing to a program to get them to override a rejection is almost never fruitful, from what I can tell, but writing to a program you never heard from sometimes shakes loose an interview (especially if they had a last minute cancellation). So folks want to be in this latter category, and are lying to do it. I still think you have to maintain your integrity in this process, even if some other applicants and programs don't play by the rules.

I'm a little surprised that so many people think this is a good idea. Its true, you don't have anything to lose except maybe a few dollars and some time. I still couldn't see myself winding up at a program that had initially rejected me.

Your reasons don't seem all that compelling for wanting to go there. Suppose by some stroke of luck they did give you an interview. Wouldn't you rather be at a program that was impressed enough with your qualifications to give you an interview right off the bat?

For med school, I got wait listed at "my #1 choice" but practically courted by the place that was my last choice. I actually got in off the wait list, but guess where I am now. It sounds corny, but stuff really does happen for a reason.

It depends on why you were rejected. If you were rejected because they really believed that you weren't competitive enough (ouch--but we've all been there, done that)--then it's not worth it even if someone does hook you up with an interview because the committee will know how you got the interview.
But, if you think you were rejected because the program just thought it was unlikely that you would go there, despite being a very competitive candidate for the program, then you should definitely go for a reconsideration--since it sounds like you really wanted an interview to that program.

This is exactly what I'm going to say.

If this program that rejected you is all star (Johns Hopkins, Mass Gen level) then no chance of reverse. If it's a progam you think you were competitive at or were more competitive than AND there's a reason you think they might suspect you might not interview there (geography is one of the big ones) it's worth a shot.

I recently got an email that I was not going to be offered an interview for one of the programs I was very interested in - is there anyway acceptable way to ask them to reconsider?

Dear Program Director,

Thank you for your recent letter. After careful consideration, I
regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me
a resident position in your program.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually
large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field
of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your program's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in
rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at
this time. Therefore, I will assume the position of a first year resident
in your department this July. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,
Your name here

Dear Program Director,

Sincerely,
Your name here

:laugh:

Sad but true: I would have 41 of these to send out if I so desired.

FWIW, one of my roommates is currently applying in psych and was bummed to receive a rejection at a program she really hoped to interview at. I encouraged her to contact them and state she really did want to go there. She called up and the next day received an interview offer, which she'll be attending in a week.

So it does happen.

In case you're curious-- she's an amazing person and will make an excellent psychiatrist, but does not look like a rockstar on paper. I think the name of our med school helps in getting psych interviews especially, but still...

I think you should go ahead and try it. In fact, I tried it. I got a rejection from a prelim program, which was the same institution that i plan on ranking 1 for my advanced program, and I wanted to stay at one place for residency. So I emailed them and told them that I really liked their program, and that I thought that i was a very competent qualified candidate who would do well, and asked to be placed on a wait list in case any slots opened up. You know what happened? Absolutely nothing. I am still waiting to hear back. But I feel better about myself for trying. The point is nothing bad happened from it, and I only wasted about five minutes of my time. i say do it.

I've heard that sometimes rejections may be somewhat based on an assumption that you have no real interest in going there and just applied as a "back-up." Contact them and explain why you are interested in the program. Geography, family location, spouse's job, etc.... Most of the stories I've heard about people getting interviews after being rejected have done just this.

Since Steiner is now in the business of writing things for next year's applicants, I'll post my experience, too.
There are 4 classifications of programs.

1 Those that offer an interview
2 Those that don't respond, ever...lazy bums
3 Those that put you on a wait-list
4 Those that reject you

If you try in January you can tell them you'd be happy to take the spot of an applicant who cancelled their interview. That is how I got an interview with a program that had put me on a wait-list. Of course I won't know till Thursday whether that was fruitful or not.

I've heard that sometimes rejections may be somewhat based on an assumption that you have no real interest in going there and just applied as a "back-up." Contact them and explain why you are interested in the program. Geography, family location, spouse's job, etc.... Most of the stories I've heard about people getting interviews after being rejected have done just this.

Agreed - I contacted two programs that I hadn't heard from (that were geographically far from me) stating my interest in the program and asking them to review my application for an interview. I received enthusiatic responses and interview invites from both places the next day. I do think they assumed I would not attend based on their location.

No one had told me this was an option; I highly recommend contacting programs that you are interested in with regards to garnering interviews.

Dear Program Director,

Sincerely,
Your name here

bwahahahhahahhahahahhahaa

wouldn't it be awesome if you actually sent that as a joke and then got accepted due to the greatness of the joke? ahhh, yes. remind me to keep this as a back-up option! (My first option is the front lawn idea.)